[A13] LED Lights - V 1.4 (14/4/2016)

Started by Loki88, June 28, 2015, 02:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Real Poll for Now

Loki88

Does what it says on the tin.

Adds a series of LED rope lights and lamps.

These are meant to light up small areas and hallways.

Now included is a basic LED lamp and LED grow lamp with a higher cost and slightly larger glow radius

Rope lights double as a power conduits.

Includes 3 research projects to unlock the lights.

Costs silver to build

I've made a new designation category for these called "Lighting" since I felt that the furniture category was getting congested with different mods and new lights being added.

They can be placed over walls and objects such as work tables or the comms console like in the picture.

Version Info

1.0 Initial release using Vanilla art assets
1.1 Release with new textures and link types, as well as a change in altitude layer
1.1 CCL A CCL compatible version generously done by 1000101. Requires Community Core Library to be loaded first to run.
1.2 A12c update. Added LED lamps and removed vanilla lights from the lighting tab
1.3 A12d update. Added HID LED lamps (probably needs a big balancing) This is a CCL version only and requires CCL to be loaded first!
1.4 A13 update. Quick A13 update to get things running. Removed CCL requirement so we're back to demolishing lights to change their colour.

Big thank you to CucumPear for interim 1.35 patch!

• This mod may be used in any mod packs provided forum rules are followed.
  • Derivative mods may be created based on this mod, though any suggestions for changes, balances, and additions is much more appreciated.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Igabod

It needs a better texture but I like the idea. I might include it in my Advanced Lamps mod (with your permission of course) when I finally get the time to make additions to my mods.

Loki88

Quote from: Igabod on June 28, 2015, 05:05:10 PM
It needs a better texture but I like the idea. I might include it in my Advanced Lamps mod (with your permission of course) when I finally get the time to make additions to my mods.

All I did for now was recycle the power conduit texture so I could get some feedback to see if it would be worth making it its own texture. Drawing atlases seems like a pain in the butt...

And of coarse you can use it!
I was thinking of your mod when I made this since it would fit under the larger umbrella of advanced lamps. Just didn't know how to approach it so I made it a mini mod.  :P

Edit: One thing I did think of though, is that with these being able to be placed under walls, it makes lighted walls a bit redundant unless you're going for greater glow distance.

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on June 28, 2015, 05:36:54 PM
Quote from: Igabod on June 28, 2015, 05:05:10 PM

All I did for now was recycle the power conduit texture so I could get some feedback to see if it would be worth making it its own texture. Drawing atlases seems like a pain in the butt...

And of coarse you can use it!
I was thinking of your mod when I made this since it would fit under the larger umbrella of advanced lamps. Just didn't know how to approach it so I made it a mini mod.  :P

Edit: One thing I did think of though, is that with these being able to be placed under walls, it makes lighted walls a bit redundant unless you're going for greater glow distance.

I personally would make it so they can't go under walls. Not very realistic. I especially liked the idea though because I actually use LED rope lights to light up my bedroom.

CyborgDragon

The going under the walls is, I assume, a side effect of making it so that the rope lights can stack under other objects, instead of blocking them. I did something similar with the ceiling lights mod, adding <isEdifice>false</isEdifice> so that they could be placed on top of furniture and everything else.

Loki88

Quote from: CyborgDragon on June 28, 2015, 06:36:31 PM
The going under the walls is, I assume, a side effect of making it so that the rope lights can stack under other objects, instead of blocking them. I did something similar with the ceiling lights mod, adding <isEdifice>false</isEdifice> so that they could be placed on top of furniture and everything else.

Pretty much. I made them floor emplacements too even though I want them on the cieling because they look goofy if they go on top of the wall. Maybe with a better texture they would look good on top of the wall, sort of like you attached them to the wall was the goal. I'm hoping for input and feedback on this.

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on June 28, 2015, 06:44:52 PM
Quote from: CyborgDragon on June 28, 2015, 06:36:31 PM

Pretty much. I made them floor emplacements too even though I want them on the cieling because they look goofy if they go on top of the wall. Maybe with a better texture they would look good on top of the wall, sort of like you attached them to the wall was the goal. I'm hoping for input and feedback on this.

Yeah, a new texture would make it look better. You would have to design the texture so that it is actually just to the side of the wall rather than right in the center of it. That would be a lot of work but it would be worth it. I have my LED lights all along the corner between the ceiling and the wall. I'll have to play around with it to see exactly how possible it is to make it look right. But that will have to wait.

Loki88

On a side note, the short glow radius of these makes the darkness mod even creepier than it was before... IRL I'm a big chicken who has little light sensitive LED night lights all over my house. That and I'm too lazy to turn lights on and off when I get home from work at midnight...

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on June 29, 2015, 12:10:07 AM
On a side note, the short glow radius of these makes the darkness mod even creepier than it was before... IRL I'm a big chicken who has little light sensitive LED night lights all over my house. That and I'm too lazy to turn lights on and off when I get home from work at midnight...

Lol, I have those too. But I just have them in the hallway between my room and the bathroom and one directly at the bottom of the stairs so I can go out to smoke in the middle of the night.

Loki88

I still haven't come up with a texture I'm happy with, and I'm about to throw my monitor into the skylight well. (It's a strait shot to the basement from here and I'm in my 4th floor loft)

Loki88

Finally made a new texture for this. It's simple but I really like it. I changed it to two thin parallel strands that double back at end pieces instead of the thick power conduit texture. I think this is better since IRL rope lights are rather fine strands. this also makes them look like they've been stuck to the walls at ceiling corners. I'm looking for feedback please, good or bad.

Included the slightly redone mod as with the new texture I changed the altitude layer so that they will appear on top of walls as originally  intended.

Also can someone let me know how to get these to link to power transmitters but not draw the link to them so they don't go all wonky connecting to things that aren't light ropes.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Eisenwulf

The new texture looks great! :) (Too bad something like this wasn't available for A10 :/ )
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
--Robert A. Heinlein

Loki88

Quote from: Eisenwulf on June 30, 2015, 02:52:06 PM
The new texture looks great! :) (Too bad something like this wasn't available for A10 :/ )
thanks for the feedback Eisenwulf :) I will do more work on this tonight once I'm home. I've still gotta figure out how hard it is to make these their own link flag so the texture doesn't connect to power conduits.

Unfortunately even though I've had this game since A6 I haven't thought of anything good to mod in till now.

newvelaric

Loki88

Updated with new textures, link flags, and altitude layer. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Cheers!