I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Friend

You can make permadeath mode irrelevant by pressing ALT + F4 instead of saving and then loading the game again.

Life finds a way to savescum.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Songleaves

Build a sunlamp outside. But a structure around the sunlamp so that a roof overhead forms. Use remove roof to remove all the roof except for one tile which floats above the sunlamp. Delete all the walls of the building except one which is close enough to keep supporting to one, distant, disembodied tile of constructed roof. You now have an outdoor sunlamp that won't shortcircuit in the rain.

Garlandgreeneyes

Let's say you have overwhelming numbers of tribespeople coming to your base, dress one colonist in armor, a shield, and a melee weapon in a doorway.  Fill the area behind him or her with people with ranged weapons.  The person in the doorway will likely get downed, and will no longer be attacked.  The doorway will be open, but still exist, and tribespeople will not enter.  You will still be able to shoot them through the doorway, and many of them will congregate right there... five or six colonists will be able to chase off 30 to 40 tribespeople this way, likely without death.  I feel sad posting this.

Songleaves

That's actually a known bug (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20040.0), and can be done by holding the door open with a dropped item.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Songleaves on May 18, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
That's actually a known bug (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20040.0), and can be done by holding the door open with a dropped item.
But we admire your sacrifice in letting a colonist be badly wounded to repel a raid.

Vaporisor

Well, I am bad and I think I kinda exploit it more... potentially.  I did the following once and felt too evil....

What I do is I have a colonist minus a leg.....  I get a raid that looks bad, and I un medical that guy's bed, forbid the medbay and tell them to relocate him to the now only available medical zone spot on the ground I just make.  Then when almost there, I draft the guy carrying and now there is a guy sitting outside right for the kidnapping.  The raiders come into a fire zone without firing a shot at me.  Then back to bed with him.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

b0rsuk

Quote from: Vaporisor on May 19, 2016, 12:53:31 AM
Well, I am bad and I think I kinda exploit it more... potentially.  I did the following once and felt too evil....

What I do is I have a colonist minus a leg.....  I get a raid that looks bad, and I un medical that guy's bed, forbid the medbay and tell them to relocate him to the now only available medical zone spot on the ground I just make.  Then when almost there, I draft the guy carrying and now there is a guy sitting outside right for the kidnapping.  The raiders come into a fire zone without firing a shot at me.  Then back to bed with him.
Good find!
I bet you can avoid bloodshed by ordering a colonist to overdose beer.
I think you can also give away prisoners. You need 2 hostile factions because they won't kidnap one of their own.

b0rsuk

Okay, I've tried Ice Sheet for the first time in a while. It's basically unplayable. Trade caravans combined with inability of factions to handle low temperatures is GAMEBREAKING. Pawns dying left and right leaving you free stuff. Cargo mufallos dying, providing you with free meat and everything they carry. I stopped playing because I gained thousands of silver, medicine, plasteel, and other resources within days, without lifting a finger. It's not fun anymore.

Songleaves

Getting factions to fight one another through several methods:

• I was once being chased by outlanders, one of whom had frag grenades; I ran my colonist into a group of visitors and when they got hit with frag grenade they switched from neutral towards outlanders to their enemy and attacked them.
  • I once had a poison ship part near my base. A trade caravan was passing through and went close enough to the ship part that I sniped the ship part and out came the mechanoids to fight the caravan.

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Tynan on March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM
I just figured out how to kill the infestation bugs without a real fight. Just dig a long tunnel and shoot them from a distance with the survival rifle.

They only thing I see wrong with this is your choice of weapon.  You should be using turrets instead.

Jstank

There are a ton of people who are going to hate me for telling you this but a good way to make sure you funnel opponents into killzones is to design a trap system like this

The colonists will walk straight through the two doors and rearm the traps safely during peace time and after battles. However invaders will path the long way through the center preferring the open path to the base wherein there could be a handily placed kill box. Only sappers are immune to this layout. Invaders don't seem to be wise enough to want to bash down the doors, instead they choose to traverse the longer path through the death ridden hallway. These traps are always going to kill sythers, and usually strong enough to take out 1-2 centipedes even before they hit the kill box because they trigger every last trap in the hallway.
This particular sample is very modest. Redundant systems of this type are very strong, and only require blocks to rearm, which is very cheap indeed on most maps.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Songleaves

Whenever I rescue a crashpod survivor, I strip them before I start doing medicine. I've gotten a lot of good quality synthread clothing this way.

billycop32

if your colonists are facing a bad mood, and you have dead colonists, you can rebury them as much you like for the buried in sarcophagus mood buff. I admit I use this when that really annoying phyonic wave hits.

xlockeed

Zig Zag tunnels with sand bags in the center leading to the base. The outer sides your pawns can melee through the corners while the enemy slowly walks over the sand bags toward your base entrance. This is in the same park as Molotov and grenades on walls.

One way to combat jelly farms, make hives produce a limited amount of hives that are smaller and do not reproduce. So once the Big hive pops out 5 small hives over time it drys up. Same could be done with how many spawn out of them. I currently have a turret kill box that I farm meat and jelly from. Twenty turrets all on fuel generators along with that cursed solar flare guard device. 25k usage, that's messed up.

Found a neat bug with that flare guard. 4 fuel gens, 20 turrets and the flare guard is attached to the line as well. Solar flare happens and the guard goes out but the gens and turrets remain on. The four fuel gens only push 4k so not sure if it's broken or bugged content. unless it's a typo of 25000 to 2500 usage. But half my turrets should go down if it eats that amount of power, yet they don't.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

Noobshock