I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Animals... Obedience ? Release ? Aint nobody got time for that! Just set an allowed zone like BEAR ATTACK and see bears go where attackers are. Instead of limiting animal micromanagement like Obedience and Release was supposed to, it increases it because you can modify zones on the fly.

INSTANT wall deconstruction - order a colonist to put a vent (30 steel), door (25 resource), or cooler inside a wall. The wall vanishes as soon as he hauls the resources. You only lose a portion of the wall resources (5 -> 4 stones). This can be useful when there's fire, ambush, infestation or other urgent threat. You can also use it for your own ambushes. Just remember to cancel the door/vent construction.

xlockeed

My bad forgot I had fuse mods on lol.

One other exploit, place a sleeping spot, have pawns gun target sleeping spot and raise their skill in shooting while the bed spot remains. Solution give bed spots and pet bed spots 1 hp.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

nottma

Always thought traders should be aware that there are blueprints of a room to be built around them. Possibly have a code detect when any of your blueprinted actions will have the effect of creating a room and have the trapped pawns first attempt to move out of the area and become "sapper" hostile if they are unable to path find their way out.

Songleaves

After a big attack, when there's weapons and stuff lying around. I have my colonists drop their weapons in the base, then equip the weapons next to the dead enemies, then haul the dead enemies back to the base. Then rinse and repeat. Allows my to roughly halve the number of trips I need to take which is useful for seigers who can be far away, and also lets me use non-haulers to at least grab their weapons.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Songleaves on May 30, 2016, 06:43:41 PM
After a big attack, when there's weapons and stuff lying around. I have my colonists drop their weapons in the base, then equip the weapons next to the dead enemies, then haul the dead enemies back to the base. Then rinse and repeat. Allows my to roughly halve the number of trips I need to take which is useful for seigers who can be far away, and also lets me use non-haulers to at least grab their weapons.
I also do that! Maybe that's not an exploit... but you can equip weapons even on colonists incapable of violence! In my previous colony I had medium-long range weapons on all capable shooters in case of a raid, while my colonists incapable of violence, 3 or 4, acted as shotgun squires. Those were handy for infestations.

Calahan

Quote from: Songleaves on May 30, 2016, 06:43:41 PM
I really don't see that as an exploit at all, since it's simply a method the player can use to increase the efficiency of their Pawns. For me it's in the same ballpark as hauling corpses fully clothed and only stripping them when they are in/near your base (as opposed to stripping them where they fell). And if you start taking things like this out of the game then you will be inadvertently stripping gameplay features for some players.

Plus taking this path means you're in danger of defining efficiency as an exploit, which would be a disastrous path to start treading IMO (this applies to pretty much all games, but especially so for sandbox games like RimWorld).

Listen1

The door with stone chunks is a exploit in my opnion.

Blitz video for reference:
https://youtu.be/nlq8sp3KZBw?t=484

xlockeed

Creating a very large growing zone, plant it, then unzone it so blight does not kill it. Harvest and repeat once at 100%.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

Tynan

This thread is very useful! I've taken a lot of notes.

Some of these will be very hard to solve, but it's good that I know about them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

b0rsuk

You can use Draft+Undraft like a slap from Dungeon Keeper:

Don't like that your worker has chosen a joy activity far away from the work zone ? SLAP HIM. No more going for a walk on the other half of the map.

Butchering colonist walks all over the food stockpile dropping meat ? SLAP HIM as soon as he's past the door, he'll drop the meat and it will magically find its way to unoccupied spots.

All in all, Draft command lets people play like an overbearing, micromanaging boss. And in some cases Draft + immediate Undraft increases work efficiency.

Fafn1r

I let enemies enter my base.

This sounds like the most stupid exploid ever, but it makes defending really, really easy. Enemies split and start attacking random (?) objects. They keep doing that even if I fight with their allies a building away. It's almost as bad as killboxes to kill enemies this way.

I realize that this is a valid millitary tactic, especially common in urban insurgent warfare, but... not like this. It feels like I am defending the base against a bunch of untrained idiots.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Nimander on June 06, 2016, 03:58:17 AM
I let enemies enter my base.

This sounds like the most stupid exploid ever, but it makes defending really, really easy. Enemies split and start attacking random (?) objects. They keep doing that even if I fight with their allies a building away. It's almost as bad as killboxes to kill enemies this way.

I realize that this is a valid millitary tactic, especially common in urban insurgent warfare, but... not like this. It feels like I am defending the base against a bunch of untrained idiots.
Repairing damaged structures is currently essentially free. What if attackers (also) caused breakdowns ?

Wex

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 06, 2016, 03:18:25 AM
You can use Draft+Undraft like a slap from Dungeon Keeper

And that was an awesome feature of that game.
Rimworld needs a slap button. Not for the slap "per se" (altough I admit, it was hilarious), but for the effects it brings.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

GarettZriwin

Quote from: Wex on June 06, 2016, 01:20:53 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on June 06, 2016, 03:18:25 AM
You can use Draft+Undraft like a slap from Dungeon Keeper

And that was an awesome feature of that game.
Rimworld needs a slap button. Not for the slap "per se" (altough I admit, it was hilarious), but for the effects it brings.
Posession spell & zerking tribals with legendary plasteel longsword while wearing power armor. :P

Tynan

WallSlasher, this thread is specifically for exploit strategies. Exploit strategies are things players do to succeed in cheesy ways.

Bugs and suggestions have their own forums :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog