I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverPire

To block fire wthout any materials, simply a line of graves.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Listen1

Quote from: NeverPire on January 26, 2017, 01:00:21 PM

This is true, graves should spread fire and not deconstruct. Since you buried the body, even if it is on fire, the fire will just go through

Catastrophy

Quote from: Listen1 on January 26, 2017, 01:18:28 PM
Quote from: NeverPire on January 26, 2017, 01:00:21 PM

This is true, graves should spread fire and not deconstruct. Since you buried the body, even if it is on fire, the fire will just go through

Only if it's flowers on there.

Pushover

You can also do this with stone wall blueprints if you have materials. Can cancel afterwards for all resources back.

NeverPire

Quote from: Pushover on January 26, 2017, 08:59:30 PM
You can also do this with stone wall blueprints if you have materials. Can cancel afterwards for all resources back.
Graves are faster (two tiles directly blocked instead of one) and you can also use only blueprints.

Thyme

Graves shouldn't spread fire. It's soil with (if) a dead body one to two meters deep underground.

To stop fires I simply cut all plants (3 tiles wide). This is mostly grass which doesn't take long, combined with natural choke points it's done in no thyme.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

NeverPire

With the difference than these graves can be used so I kill two birds with one stone.

Lord_Orion

Extreme Low Temperatures living is very exploitable in my option say -75 and lower winter temps.
Raids can be laugh event able when 10 of their score drop before attacking,  then First guy I down sends them all running.

I never starve on ice sheets as every Raiders, and caravans just freeze walking to and form my colony. I can always feed my Colonist a steady diet of fine meals made with rice and people.

Its nice of them to bring me all of their silver and guns like some kind of Cargo Pods event though. But How did they even get to my colony just to die in less then a game hour.
I explore a cheep solution in this post. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30000.msg305225#msg305225

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: NeverPire on January 13, 2017, 05:16:46 PM
I don't know exactly if it's an exploit.
I play in permadeath but sometimes, some events are really too impredictable and unaffordable. Warg manhunter pack appear between my colonists and my base for example.

I just use ctrl-alt-delete, force the game to quit and thanks to the not perfect auto-save, I can resume my game before the bad events.

Oh, and the most common, one colonist trigger opponents then turn around my fighters.
Opponents follow him while fighters shoot at them.
When they decide to attack an other colonist, I just move this one around and again...

if you rage quit what is then the purpose of permadeath? If you are going to do that you should just go and play with permadeath disabled

Lord_Orion

Quote from: FreyaMaluk on January 27, 2017, 07:21:55 AM
I play in permadeath but sometimes, some events are really too impredictable and unaffordable. Warg manhunter pack appear between my colonists and my base for example.

I just use ctrl-alt-delete, force the game to quit and thanks to the not perfect auto-save, I can resume my game before the bad events.

Oh, and the most common, one colonist trigger opponents then turn around my fighters.
When they decide to attack an other colonist, I just move this one around and again...

if you rage quit what is then the purpose of permadeath? If you are going to do that you should just go and play with permadeath disabled

Hey NeverPire plays a softer Ironman nothing wrong with that. It is an exploit permadeath is a control to keep us form going back. If you can get around its not serving its function. I'm for a setting to make AutoSaves less of a cushion closer to how NeverPire plays.

Calahan

There are several ways to get around permadeath, both in RimWorld and other games that offer this game mode. And I am very sure that Tynan won't, even if he could, do anything that interferes with the functioning of the operating system or the computer itself.

So if anyone expects Tynan to disable the ctrl-alt-delete function, or disable the reset/power switch, or stop the O/S from launching task manager, or anything like this. And no Tynan isn't going to visit everyone's house and glue all their plugs into the socket and their power switches to "on" either. Then you are going way way way outside the definition of "exploit strategies" that Tynan is looking for. If a player wants to get around permadeath then they will, and no game developer in their right mind is going to interfere with some of the options available (let alone the options they have no ability to control).

So can we please get back on the topic of actual exploits in the game, and not the various ways of avoiding permadeath, or other matters relating to it (which in itself is an entirely voluntary game mode).

TheMeInTeam

I mentioned this on reddit, but I'll say it here too:

If you have a colony adjacent to somewhere you can send a caravan, you can haul infinite weight into your base.  To reproduce this, settle next to an outlander town, send 1 guy to it, and buy as much steel as you possibly can.  You can have 500kg of steel on one guy.  If you try to move anywhere, you can't, but since you can instantly enter your own colony from any bordering hex you can transport that 500kg.

Once the colonist does enter, he goes straight into "unloading inventory", dragging that entire 500kg of steel to the stockpile in one go.  Quite heroic, carrying over 10x his alleged capacity, and at full speed!

The most obvious solution is to introduce a travel time into base like there is to enter a trade spot.  Even a small travel time would be enough to block moving with too much weight.

NeverPire

Using chickens to delay mechanoids attack for days.

Mechanoids attack slowly, I simply push some of my chickens in a area just before my gates. Mechanoids try to kill them and, especially when chickens are sleeping, fail 99% of the time due to their small size and the fact that mechanoids always stop at the max range.
It concentrates the raid then with some brawlers and a EMP mortar, I kill all of them without any risk.

PS : Sorry Calahan for the permadeath commentary, it's a old post when I didn't really understand what an exploit means.

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: Lord_Orion on January 27, 2017, 07:53:39 AM
Quote from: FreyaMaluk on January 27, 2017, 07:21:55 AM

Hey NeverPire plays a softer Ironman nothing wrong with that. It is an exploit permadeath is a control to keep us form going back. If you can get around its not serving its function. I'm for a setting to make AutoSaves less of a cushion closer to how NeverPire plays.

I never said Tynan has to control this exploit, did I?...
What I said was that if you atl+ctr when the game gets "unfair" or "difficult," what is then the purpose of a permadeath run? I'm not expecting Tynan to actually fix this exploit, I'm just giving my personal opinion on the matter from a gamer point of view. Besides, I didn't bring this particular example to this forum, I just commented on it.

FreyaMaluk

Quote from: NeverPire on January 27, 2017, 12:09:28 PM
Using chickens to delay mechanoids attack for days.

Mechanoids attack slowly, I simply push some of my chickens in a area just before my gates. Mechanoids try to kill them and, especially when chickens are sleeping, fail 99% of the time due to their small size and the fact that mechanoids always stop at the max range.
It concentrates the raid then with some brawlers and a EMP mortar, I kill all of them without any risk.

PS : Sorry Calahan for the permadeath commentary, it's a old post when I didn't really understand what an exploit means.

This works for every type of raid really... sappers and grenadiers killing themselves while trying to murder all your chickens is hilarious. xD