Started by kaptain_kavern, August 26, 2016, 11:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which theme would you prefer to see in games

Warhammer 40K
Starwars
Both!
Something else

Cpt.Ohu

My factions require the detours from CCL, so until that update I can't release them.

Cpt.Ohu

It's been awfully quiet in here. Let's change that.

Progressions Post :

Introducing Psykers. You can't have a proper 40k conversion without those.

Meet Bahareion, our psyker for the day, using an Eldritch Storm (lightning-bolts enabled by SkullyWags Laser Weapons) to battle raiders and Unnatural Growth to speed up the maturation of crops. This is how this new gimmick works:

Every pawn starts out with a different disposition to the warp, ranging from 100% psy-inertia (rated OMEGA by the Inquisition) up to having the potential to turn an entire planet upside down (in this mod capping at the DELTA level).
Pawns with a high enough psyker level may start out knowing or slowly learn of certain ways to manipulate the warp. These psyker powers include temporary buffs/debuffs of stats, miraculous healing and of course offensive spells.

The more powerful one such ability is, the more difficult it is to wield. Certain powers cannot even be mastered if the pawn is below a certain psyker level. Some powers can only be unleashed when channeled through a special weapon.
In any case, using such powers always includes a risk.

First off, the exposure to the warp may slowly corrupt the mind, so a pawn that overrelies on his psychic abilities may soon fall to the clutches of chaos if no precautions are taken (like regularly praying to the Emperor or carrying consecrated items).

Secondly, using psyker powers puts strain on the caster. If he doesn't concentrate fully on maintaining control, he may feel very unpleasant side-effects. This may only mean that the body's revulsion to the warp manifests as heavy vomiting. It may however also lead to a psychic shock that renders the pawn unconscious.

And of course, there's the most dire threat to any psyker: Demonic possession. A psyker stands out like a lighthouse in the torrents of the warp, and attracts unwanted company. In some very rare instances, the pawn may become possessed by a demon that slowly takes over the mind and eventually bursts free violently.

That's the fluff perspective. From a gameplay view, these powers work like any weapon. Depending on their power they have a very long cast-time and an even longer reload-time that locks the use of any psyker power. So in the time one high-level power takes to be cast and then recuperate from its use, the psyker could have cast a handful of low-level powers.

Together with the risk of failure this is meant to balance out psykers. These are supplements, not a replacement for normal gameplay styles. Further down the line the social impact will also be factored in, since psykers are rarely well liked among the normal population. Having a powerful psyker in your colony may be a nice boost for survival chances, but also put a strain on the colony. And in time the Inquisition may want to have a word with you...

Looking for Contributors

That's about it for the update. On the general state of affairs: Work has never ceased in the last weeks and the mod has become way bigger than originally anticipated. Due to my limited time I can't do a lot of long-term testing for the various mechanics and I'm also rubbish at balancing.

So I'm looking for Testers to spot errors I haven't identified and to get some input on balance.

Also since I'm generally better at enabling something rather than actually making use of it, a lot of the additons I made are a bit barebones and would benefit from a creative mind to flesh out various descriptions and to come up with additional psyker-powers, faction-details and items.

Therefore I'm also looking for XML-Modders to help on elementary stuff.

If you are a 40k fan and would like to play around with some of the stuff posted in here or go a step further and help in moving towards an official release, get in contact via PM.

kaptain_kavern

How awesome! You're marvelous buddy.

Did you manage to get started with the all Github thing? I can use it to report issues/feedbacks. As I'm working on other projects at the same time it can be easier for me to only use one platform to check/work on them all.

Man the more you work on this the more I'm excited!  I have played with last version you sent me but don't know what you expect more precisely.

As you stated everything is rough/raw and i'm not sure if you have precise ideas on how to set/organize factions, how you see the balancing of weapons and powers, etc... (It could help if you can rift that down somewhere or if you want me/helpers to try to organize this from scratch)

Anyway I'm more and more impressed as you add more and more

TrashMan