Started by kaptain_kavern, August 26, 2016, 11:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which theme would you prefer to see in games

Warhammer 40K
Starwars
Both!
Something else

kaptain_kavern

So I'm willing to make a mod with a bigger scope than things I have already done. I was thinking of adding new factions, items (weapons and table/recipes maybe), races, etc - anything that can be done with pure XML

I think i know enough of xml modding to do something like that. The challenge drives me in but the real problem I have is I can't produce art by myself. That's why I spend the last few days lurking on the outdated mods section + some of the older mod posts I found...

And the thing is there is quite some assets left from old mods for Warhammer 40K and/or Starwars mod but idk if there are already/still some mods like that

So far I found armor and weapons for those two themes. If I were to start something like that I will want to work open sourcely on Github for any one to be able to contribute (hell I will be happy to work on/maintain a community-made mod).

I also have in mind to try to make a template for creating factions more easily. I want more diversity in my rim world factions choice. (Fallout, Terminator, Cavemen, ... you will help me add more after the framework is ready)

Any advices/recommendations/requests/art donations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Warhammer40K weapons mod just updated to A14

kaptain_kavern

Yet Another WH40K Mod

Intended Work-flow :

Have the assets put together in order to have new factions in games (both hostile and friendly - with traders - when possible) and maybe after seeing about having playable faction with custom scenarii.
I'd like to keep things minimal (If something justifying adding features I'm OK with the project growing but I don't want to add 50 strains of the same weapon/armor) and somewhat vanilla-balanced.

Future Notes

As there is already some weapon/armor working i will focus on creating factions for starters

• Space marines

Spreadsheets Baby!

There is already a mod with weapons and some armor by Trashman : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=22399.0.
Also Bess666 provided a Bolter turrets

So far I have a Space Marine faction that can be hostile or friendly and i'm working on creating Pawns for it (Scout, Brother, Neophyte, Captain, Techmarine, etc) and try to force them to spawn with the adequate equipment
  • Orks
Done by Cpt.Ohu
Thx to Darque for some ork faces
  • Imperial Guards
Maypex and Cpt.Ohu are working on that
  • Eldars
Done by Cpt.Ohu

A quick look at some of the pieces I've found (again : nothing is from me, I can't draw) :

Some notes for myself :
Weapons : http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Imperium
Chapter Organisation : http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chapter

kaptain_kavern

Yet Another StarWars Mod
Intended Work-flow :

Have the assets put together in order to have new factions in games (both hostile and friendly - with traders - when possible) and maybe after seeing about having playable faction with custom scenarii.
I'd like to keep things minimal (If something justifying adding features I'm OK with the project growing but I don't want to add 50 strains of the same weapon/armor) and somewhat vanilla-balanced

Future Notes
For the StarWars I have even less graphical assets at my disposal but here is what I want to try to do "Faction-wise"

• Jawas!!! Even if I have to draw them myself (You've been warned ^^) I want my Jawas : Trader neutral/friendly Faction
  • Bounty Hunters in place of pirates/raiders
  • Ideally some Jedi/Sith - But have to think a bit on how to implement them as a Faction/Enclave .... Maybe an Academy ...
  • Ideally some droids too but for them more than ever I'm in need of graphical assets

So far i also found arts from a "new republic" mod but it's not that old and doesn't specify if the work can be used by others

A quick look at some of the pieces I've found (again : nothing is from me, I can't draw) :

Darque

Would the attached graphics work for a WH40K Ork head?

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

kaptain_kavern

Hey thanks, I will try to do something with it. (And i think i can yes)

Anything that anybody can provide will help me

SpaceDorf

I voted for 40k because I like it more at the moment, for the grittier and dirtier feeling it has.
Also it's inherent evilness fits more to the gameplay described by most :P

But maybe some of the player need a new hope in the game for a lighter feeling :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kaptain_kavern

You know if things went smoothly I may be ending up doing both :p (that's 95% sure)

For know, step one : I will try to make a Space Marine Faction that use the weapons and armor from Trashman's mod.

Edit :
Trashman if there is a problem about using your mod please just tell me and I will use anything else, but honestly your graphics are the best I've found  :D

SpaceDorf

Nice. Will you split the thread or leave it as combined thread for all the WH40K and Star Wars purposes ?

I reread and reread the chapter about the creation of Space Marines and the Implanting Process.
If I get it to work the way I want, everybody will hate me :)

kaptain_kavern

You make me feel I need to re-read my WH40K lore a bit (pardon me I'm more Blood bowl player when it comes to real table top games).

Iirc SM have a something special gland/implant that need to he harvested and re implanted in order to "produce" a new SM right? That is something that seems very modable ( "just" creating a new race with a specific body with the new organ in it - but i'm afraid that require C# modding, something I don't know yet).

About the thread I'm leaving it that way (at least during the vote) when the real work will start I'm mostly will use the github pages only and post progression here.

You look quite enthusiastic about the project so I will ask for you to contribute please :-p

SpaceDorf

Allready on it, don't tell anybody yet, I am trying my luck with APOE as a base to fiddle out the implants.
I am no Tabletop Player either. I am a pen and paper fan and of course most of the digital games, and so I love
to read some really extensive and fucked up lore. ( Not meaning it is bad, the good kind of fucked up :) )

And if it were only the geneseed :)
Thats should actually quite easy now, you just have to make the Space Marine milkable and shearable.
and it will a put a large dampener on how fast a Chapter can grow.
I was talking about the other hard restrictions like Implants can only be implanted before 18 years of age and
that Nephytes actually need to be gene-compatible to the geneseed and respond to the hypno-teaching something ( i did not find the exacts of this ) to become a Space Marine.
This screams "Trait " to me.

Dimbledorf

If you want to catch up to WH lore quickly, check out arch warhammer on youtube
When will Tynan add goats, I wonder?

kaptain_kavern

Progressions Post :

Updated OP + added some screenshots and link to my WIP working spreadsheet

QuoteSo far I have a Space Marine faction that can be hostile or friendly and i'm working on creating Pawns for it (Scout, Brother, Neophyte, Captain, Techmarine, etc) and try to force them to spawn with the adequate equipment

This is nearly done. The FactionDefs files is mostly finished i'd say and i'm slowly adding several pawns trying to reflect/mimic a chapter hierarchy (Chapter Master, Captain, Veteran, Sergeant, Brother, Scout, Neophyte)

The same guys with faction set to aggressive for you see them with weapons

Plus I may have good news that can make progressions even quicker but I can't say much more before settle things more with the person I may work with.