[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Basic Bridges has been updated:

- Added a variety of specific fish which can be caught in various biomes, so that pawns aren't always just catching generic fish. The graphics were created by Steam user Draegon.

- New fish types are: arapaima, jellyfish, piranha, pufferfish (the meat from which is toxic until properly prepared in sushi), salmon, sea cucumber (the meat from which can be used to make herbal medicine), and sturgeon (which might yield some caviar when butchered).

- Fish are now classified simply as animal corpses, rather than as a special type of corpse, and can be butchered with the standard butchering recipe. The fish-specific butchering recipes have therefore been removed.

- Added "shellfish traps," which can be constructed next to piers or bridges.

- Added lobsters, crabs, crayfish, snails and shrimp, any of which might be caught in the new traps.

- If "Vegetable Garden" is installed, this mod's generic sushi recipe will be replaced by that mod's nigiri and maki roll recipes.

- Squid leather and eel skin now weigh substantially less and provide less thermal insulation than was previously the case. As well, items made from them will be much less commonly found in use or for sale by traders and raiders.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

@dburgdorf Coool stuff :)

Something I recently noticed with your Wild Cultivation mod is, that the wild plants seem to be a lot more durable than the cultivated variants.
Since the Info does not show the temperature range for plants I was wondering if this was an oversight.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

If anyone happens to have a copy of the previous version of "Basic Bridges," I'd appreciate it if you could provide it to me. I've gotten a couple of reports that the update broke saves. I'm skeptical, since the only things removed from the mod were the old fish butchering recipes, and the fact that those are gone now shouldn't do any more than generate a minor error when an old save is loaded, but I want to look into it, anyway.  But of course, I still haven't corrected my long-standing bad habit of not keeping obsolete versions of my own mods. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 04, 2017, 09:06:44 AM
Something I recently noticed with your Wild Cultivation mod is, that the wild plants seem to be a lot more durable than the cultivated variants.

Since you mentioned temperature ranges, I'm assuming you mean that the wild plants are less likely to be killed by extremely high or low temps...? I'm not sure why that would be the case, as all I did was quite literally copy the cultivated plant defs, remove the sowing-specific tags, and add wild environment tags. Nothing was added or removed that made any reference to temperatures. But I can certainly look into it. It may be that wild plants are just inherently considered more durable by the base code.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

Crap I just overwrite the archive while downloading the update ...

You should try git :p ! Or any versioning software ;) - Github, for instance, keeps a trace of all older releases (and any changes you ever made in your code) - Links are an example from a mod of mines.
And if you managed to mod C# I'm pretty sure you can manage to use something like that. I bit of work the time to learn but after it's perfect because all of this is automated. Perfect for lazy folks like myself :p And more seriously in case like that it's super handy to have a history of all the changes you made

Edit: I think Dropbox has an option for keeping history of files changes

SpaceDorf

Have no fear for I am the collector of everything :-D
Basic Bridges06.29.2017

And thanks for the heads up .. I was about to install the update.

Regarding the Wild Plants, I like that they are more durable than the cultivated counterpart .. but since I don't know how durable they are it is still strange :)
I am waiting for a cold snap ..

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 04, 2017, 09:24:54 AMHave no fear for I am the collector of everything :-D

Thanks! Turns out the missing recipes *were* breaking saves. But the matter's fixed now. In the version I just uploaded, the recipes do exist, even though they're not actually used, so there won't be any errors if an old save tries to reference them.

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 04, 2017, 09:13:30 AM
You should try git :p !

Yeah, I know. I tried briefly to make sense of GitHub a month or so back, but didn't get anywhere with it, and wasn't really motivated to worry much about it. I should probably take a look at it again. :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kaptain_kavern

IMHO it's because GitHub IS a bit daunting at first look. But it's because it was made for being able to manage up to hundred/thousands devs working on same projects. And it does its job well if you ask me.

Now for modding purpose, you'll want to keep things minimal. Here is a copy paste from a little something I wrote to explain to a fellow modder:

I use CLI (because I'm used to - nowadays I even use CLI directly from my text editor) but you can use the Github desktop app (I have a little preference for GitKraken, myself), I find it helps because you can see more clearly what you do.

The way I work:  I fiddle in the XML files, test in game, back to file changing some, etc.. You know modding :p . When I think I reach "a step", I go in the app and "commit" my changes (Saving changes while leaving notes. Everybody should even when working alone - That's the golden rule! ). Then I go work on files again, fiddle with them, etc ... Rinse and repeat

At this point all the changes still are local (on my computer), it's only when you choose to sync with the app ("push") that the changes will be updated on the repo (in the branch you choose).

For files editing (on windows) i recommend either Sublime Text or Atom. Some also prefer Notepad++. (http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials/Recommended_software)

Sorry for the copy/paste but i'm not a native english speaker and it costs me too much brain power to write long text :p

Edit:
One thing that puzzled me for long time : At start I always need to create the repository (name of projects in github lingo) on the web page first then clone the empty project via the app/CLI, then copy/paste my already existing mod folder in the empty one just cloned and then re-upload it ("push" in github lingo). After that you can start to work as I described above.

But you totally can work locally with only git (the versioning software) or one of the linked app and never bother to upload to Github. You'd still keep the benefit of being able to just cancel changes or browsing them. Github website is optional but very convenient for release management and working as teams once you get it. (not to mention integrated bug reporting, wiki + project management tools and even free simple web-hosting that come with every "repo")

Edit bis: I totally rewrite the post, first edit included :p

onerous1

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 04, 2017, 01:49:52 AM
Basic Bridges has been updated:

- New fish types are: ...pufferfish (the meat from which is toxic until properly prepared in sushi)...

So does the chef need 20 skill in order to not kill pawns with sushi made from pufferfish? Because that would be awesome! (Feeding subpar pufferfish sushi to prisoners in order to become a renown itamae, not killing colony members with bad sushi. They have enough to worry about.)

SpaceDorf

2 Things I noticed :

The Traps produce Fish at an Incredible rate .. with 10 traps I don't seem to catch up with butchering.

Thats the second thing : butchering does not seem to work anymore. I allowed everything, still I get the message no ressources available with several different animals right next to the table ..
I am testing to build a new table and the good old restart .. but it is kind of strange.

Canute

Yeah, i am notice all the shellfish traps give stackable corpses, but these corpses never give any meat after butchering.
And most (all?) of these corpses are used at some meal recipes.
But can't find a recipe for the "tiny fish corpse".
Could you maybe give these Shellfish trap fishes a corpse subcategory like the insects, so we can unflag them easyly from butchering, or maybe find a different solution.

dburgdorf

Quote from: onerous1 on July 04, 2017, 02:15:54 PMSo does the chef need 20 skill in order to not kill pawns with sushi made from pufferfish?

Sadly, I haven't come up with a way to do anything quite so fancy. Right now, at least, things are much simpler. Pufferfish meat, if eaten raw, is very likely to cause food poisoning. But it can be used (like other fish meats) to make sushi, which won't usually make pawns sick. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 04, 2017, 02:20:51 PMThe Traps produce Fish at an Incredible rate.... butchering does not seem to work anymore....

Yeah, a number of players have commented that traps seem overpowered right now. I'll need to adjust them.

As to butchering, are you saying you can't butcher *anything*? I haven't heard that from anyone else, and have no idea why it would be happening....

Quote from: Canute on July 05, 2017, 01:08:14 AMYeah, i am notice all the shellfish traps give stackable corpses, but these corpses never give any meat after butchering. And most (all?) of these corpses are used at some meal recipes. But can't find a recipe for the "tiny fish corpse".

Tiny fish are butchered for fish meat just as regular fish are. Shellfish, though, don't need to be butchered, as they're boiled "as is." My apologies for failing to notice that pawns still try to butcher them, anyway. I'll make a note to fix that.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 05, 2017, 01:34:59 AM

As to butchering, are you saying you can't butcher *anything*? I haven't heard that from anyone else, and have no idea why it would be happening....

Tiny fish are butchered for fish meat just as regular fish are. Shellfish, though, don't need to be butchered, as they're boiled "as is." My apologies for failing to notice that pawns still try to butcher them, anyway. I'll make a note to fix that.

Okay that explains alot.
Yes. I had the issue that my cooks refused to butcher anything. That got fixed by the good old reboot.
Then I noticed the same thing as canute, butchering without results ..

Now that I know how it is supposed to work, I think there was no problem at all :)

dburgdorf

Basic Bridges has been updated again:

- The boiled shellfish recipe now actually works, allows the use of any kind of vegetables rather than just potatoes, and also requires Cooking skill of just 3 rather than 6.

- Recipe filters across the board are now more sensibly defined.

- As butchering shellfish doesn't yield anything, it's no longer possible to use shellfish in the "butcher creature" recipe. So pawns should now stop wasting your lobsters in futile butchery attempts.

- Shellfish traps will now be reduced in efficiency if other traps are in close proximity to them.

This *should* take care of the remaining issues caused by the poor quality control on Monday's update. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?