[1.1] SimpleSidearms (1.4.0)

Started by PeteTimesSix, May 16, 2017, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteTimesSix

Quote from: WereCat88 on May 24, 2017, 02:51:25 PM
Does this mod work with other weapon mods? I imagine it should?

Worked with the two I tested. Should work in general, assuming the weapon mod in question doesnt bypass Rimworld's weapon system entirely.

Oh hey, A17 is out. Maybe now people will stop asking for a A16 version :)
Mods: SimpleSidearms | QOLTweaksPack
Check them out, feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Pichu0102

Minor issue, if I have weapons returned to inventory, after combat is over, they don't switch back to their main or ranged weapon, which leads back to hunter does not have ranged weapon.

PeteTimesSix

Quote from: Pichu0102 on May 25, 2017, 05:27:53 AM
Minor issue, if I have weapons returned to inventory, after combat is over, they don't switch back to their main or ranged weapon, which leads back to hunter does not have ranged weapon.
Hm, true. Changing that would require giving pawns less goldfish-like memory, but I think I know how to do that now... Ill add it on the list.

Razzoriel

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 23, 2017, 12:36:09 PM
OP, if it's not much to ask, me and plenty of others are just looking for a code patch that automatically switches weapons from ranged to melee. The max mass mechanic you have, which restricts how much mass both weapons should have, IMO, is perfect to prevent abuse in the case of someone wielding a minigun and longsword, for instance.

So, if you can, could you make a SimpleSidearms Lite version, where you just set the maximum mass of one or the other, or both? Thanks in advance.

PeteTimesSix

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 25, 2017, 08:05:12 AM
OP, if it's not much to ask, me and plenty of others are just looking for a code patch that automatically switches weapons from ranged to melee. The max mass mechanic you have, which restricts how much mass both weapons should have, IMO, is perfect to prevent abuse in the case of someone wielding a minigun and longsword, for instance.

So, if you can, could you make a SimpleSidearms Lite version, where you just set the maximum mass of one or the other, or both? Thanks in advance.

You're basically asking me to strip out ninety percent of the mod and then release it as a separate version (and then have to maintain it), when you can archieve exactly what you want already using the settings menu. I'd really rather not do that.

What I can do is add a preset that does that. At that point you literally only have to press a single button. List, added, etc.

Razzoriel

Quote from: PeteTimesSix on May 25, 2017, 08:11:50 AM
Quote from: Razzoriel on May 25, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

You're basically asking me to strip out ninety percent of the mod and then release it as a separate version (and then have to maintain it), when you can archieve exactly what you want already using the settings menu. I'd really rather not do that.

What I can do is add a preset that does that. At that point you literally only have to press a single button. List, added, etc.

And it was exactly why my first words were "if it's not much to ask". That's perfectly understandable, thanks.

A Friend

Definitely should be in the base game. OP doing god's work.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

NemesisN

I noticed a problem (don't know if I screwed something in options or just mod issue) (alpha 17)

When my colony gets back from caravan Raid (attacking other colony) they place back in stockpile everything they raided + the side arms equipped they had from the start and I need to equip sidearms again which is annoying

Also I noticed when my colony member switches to knife for melee combat he does not switch back to primary weapon (rifle) he had before once melee combat is over so I need to manually click and switch and if I don't notice this then my colony member brings a knife to a gun fight
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

Dragoon

Just thought I'd let you and the other author know. This mod has an incompatibility with star wars. I cannot draft my colonist with both this and Star Wars on.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

M00nStalker

Awesome mod! Just what's needed for my survival rifle-toting colonists. Especially once there's a few more weapons added by mods.

Quote from: PeteTimesSix on May 17, 2017, 01:22:40 AM
Quote from: Viritos on May 16, 2017, 11:00:57 PM
Let's say my hunter has a survival rifle and a knife. If he proceeds to down an animal, will he shoot the animal, or melee the animal?
Your hunter, not being a barbarian, will shoot the poor thing as usual. (On a more serious note, pawns only switch to melee when attacked in melee. A downed animal can't attack.)
Barbaric possibly, but would it be possible to implement such a feature? I realize it might be outside the scope of the mod, but we could benefit greatly from this. Especially when playing with mods that adds limited ammo, it makes no sense for a hunter in a survival scenario to waste several bullets to kill a downed squirrel or deer. One might argue that it is safer to do so, but then again we could micromanage our hunters to switch to a sword/axe/club/knife with no drawbacks (downed animals doesn't fight back, unlike in real life).

Once again, great job. This will be an obvious mod for my future playthroughs.

Razzoriel

Quote from: M00nStalker on May 26, 2017, 01:28:27 PM
Awesome mod! Just what's needed for my survival rifle-toting colonists. Especially once there's a few more weapons added by mods.

Let's say my hunter has a survival rifle and a knife. If he proceeds to down an animal, will he shoot the animal, or melee the animal?
Your hunter, not being a barbarian, will shoot the poor thing as usual. (On a more serious note, pawns only switch to melee when attacked in melee. A downed animal can't attack.)
Barbaric possibly, but would it be possible to implement such a feature? I realize it might be outside the scope of the mod, but we could benefit greatly from this. Especially when playing with mods that adds limited ammo, it makes no sense for a hunter in a survival scenario to waste several bullets to kill a downed squirrel or deer. One might argue that it is safer to do so, but then again we could micromanage our hunters to switch to a sword/axe/club/knife with no drawbacks (downed animals doesn't fight back, unlike in real life).

Your premise takes into account limited ammunition, of which Rimworld has no mechanic. Obviously, mods that do should appreciate this feature.

M00nStalker

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 26, 2017, 02:50:29 PM

Your premise takes into account limited ammunition, of which Rimworld has no mechanic. Obviously, mods that do should appreciate this feature.
To an extent. However even in vanilla it makes sense to go up and finish a downed animal than standing at a distance and fire at it, its usually faster and less risk of shooting a fellow colonist or another animal.

Razzoriel

Quote from: M00nStalker on May 26, 2017, 03:07:00 PM

To an extent. However even in vanilla it makes sense to go up and finish a downed animal than standing at a distance and fire at it, its usually faster and less risk of shooting a fellow colonist or another animal.

It does not make sense, because it accounts one single occasion of which you would do it; you are out in the wilds hunting.

What if you're attacked by manhunting packs? Your shooters will switch to their melee weapons to finish the downed animals they shot? What if you finish the animal and in this last hit, the rest of the pack decides to attack the shooter? What if by switching the weapons, you instead walk into a forbidden area, like someplace without a roof during a toxic fallout?

I like the background of the idea, because it makes sense, but it ignores so many variables that i'd be happy if it simply could be a manual thing; switch weapons, walk to downed animal, deliver the killing blow and save the ammunition.

M00nStalker

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 26, 2017, 03:13:01 PM
Quote from: M00nStalker on May 26, 2017, 03:07:00 PM

It does not make sense, because it accounts one single occasion of which you would do it; you are out in the wilds hunting.

What if you're attacked by manhunting packs? Your shooters will switch to their melee weapons to finish the downed animals they shot? What if you finish the animal and in this last hit, the rest of the pack decides to attack the shooter? What if by switching the weapons, you instead walk into a forbidden area, like someplace without a roof during a toxic fallout?

I like the background of the idea, because it makes sense, but it ignores so many variables that i'd be happy if it simply could be a manual thing; switch weapons, walk to downed animal, deliver the killing blow and save the ammunition.
You bring up good points. Especially the part about your colonist being closer to the herd if something happens. The manhunter argument and the toxic fallout one wouldn't be a problem, or rather nothing would change. In the manhunter scenario you would draft the colonists, so regular mod rules would apply. In the toxic fallout case your colonist would be exposed when your colonist goes out to get the carcass.

As a toggleable feature I don't see much problem with it, although it might be outside the scope of the mod.

Canute

QuoteWhat if you're attacked by manhunting packs? Your shooters will switch to their melee weapons to finish the downed animals they shot?

Hunting should be different then be drafted.
On hunting the pawn behavior is allready different, he goes closer on a downed animal to finish it. You just need to change that that he use a melee weapon to finish it.
But didn't prevent that the vanilia behavior, since they don't allow hunting with mellee weapon ?