[1.0] Rim of Madness - Bones V2.0

Started by SihvMan, May 18, 2017, 04:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SihvMan

Mitz

Literally unlplayable - not on steam
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.

PreDiabetic

7 bone per humanoid? Wow thats pretty harsh nerf. From 75 to 7. BTW Turkey have 5 bones yet humans 7? If you want to nerf bones you have to hit animals harder or buff humans a little. PS Forget about building walls anymore 5 bone per wall for 140hp not worth imo. Just install ICE mod to make ice walls. But progress is progress good job. I just made floor patch for myself 2 bones per tile. Better use bones this way.

SihvMan

Quote from: Mitz on June 24, 2017, 09:08:33 PM
Literally unlplayable - not on steam

Should be... I can see it. Did I accidentally set it to hidden?

EDIT: Turns out, yes I did have it set to hidden. Visible now.

Quote from: damngrl on June 24, 2017, 09:24:43 PM
7 bone per humanoid? Wow thats pretty harsh nerf. From 75 to 7. BTW Turkey have 5 bones yet humans 7? If you want to nerf bones you have to hit animals harder or buff humans a little. PS Forget about building walls anymore 5 bone per wall for 140hp not worth imo. Just install ICE mod to make ice walls. But progress is progress good job. I just made floor patch for myself 2 bones per tile. Better use bones this way.

Accidentally put in wrong version of bone add patch. Should be resolved (ie back to old values).

PreDiabetic

My custom patch for Bone Mod.

Floor made of bones with CUSTOM handmade textures (which is terrible imo)
Adds bone to fishes in Fish Industry by Rikiki.

Feel free to use however you want.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Dark_Inquisitor

Quote from: SihvMan on June 24, 2017, 10:43:06 PM

Accidentally put in wrong version of bone add patch. Should be resolved (ie back to old values).

I think it's a bit of my falut that ShivMan put these values, so let me explain what was my logic behind those, and why they make alot more sense than previous ones (at least for me).
First of - bones are normal resource, not "tiny" one (x10 one, like silver) - and since they would be used to mostly fireproof buildings - my criteria for balance was building walls.
With the previous values it made no sence whatsoever - mature oak gives you 65! wood on peacefull difficulty (45 on extreme) - that means you'd get more bones from one human that there is wood in fully matured oak tree. Yeah, that makes alot of sence (Not to mention that tree is made almost completly out of usable wood, and bones are just relatively small part of any animal).
There was few consequneces of that - my test colony was drowning in bones after some time, despite having everything built (and created) out of bones.
So i figured, that I might try to balance it out; since meat amount is based on the BodySize parameter of the animal, that'd be a good idea to base bone amount on it too. Some values might look very puny, but remember - early colony is heavily dependant on the easily accesible food, that means alot of hunting, and alot of bones. Altough I have to agree that you might buff the amount a little - but don't forget that animals are mainly source of food, and bones are additional resouce that you get from them.
But hey, there are people and people, right? My suggestion is to release 2 versions, so balance freaks (like me) will be satisfied, and lite one for people who just want their bones ;)

PreDiabetic

Quote from: Dark_Inquisitor on June 25, 2017, 09:02:54 AM
Quote from: SihvMan on June 24, 2017, 10:43:06 PM

I think it's a bit of my falut that ShivMan put these values, so let me explain what was my logic behind those, and why they make alot more sense than previous ones (at least for me).
First of - bones are normal resource, not "tiny" one (x10 one, like silver) - and since they would be used to mostly fireproof buildings - my criteria for balance was building walls.
With the previous values it made no sence whatsoever - mature oak gives you 65! wood on peacefull difficulty (45 on extreme) - that means you'd get more bones from one human that there is wood in fully matured oak tree. Yeah, that makes alot of sence (Not to mention that tree is made almost completly out of usable wood, and bones are just relatively small part of any animal).
There was few consequneces of that - my test colony was drowning in bones after some time, despite having everything built (and created) out of bones.
So i figured, that I might try to balance it out; since meat amount is based on the BodySize parameter of the animal, that'd be a good idea to base bone amount on it too. Some values might look very puny, but remember - early colony is heavily dependant on the easily accesible food, that means alot of hunting, and alot of bones. Altough I have to agree that you might buff the amount a little - but don't forget that animals are mainly source of food, and bones are additional resouce that you get from them.
But hey, there are people and people, right? My suggestion is to release 2 versions, so balance freaks (like me) will be satisfied, and lite one for people who just want their bones ;)

Problem was bone suppose to help on extreme map conditions to replace wood. In Ice Sheet or Extreme Desert you cannot find animals to hunt so you have to content yourself with butchering humans that raid you or fishing (which also doesn't work on Extreme Desert)

Sure having both options marvelous I agree with that.

Canute

But even on extreme maps, the extra building/fuel material help alot.
So an polarbear would give nearly enough bones to start a campfire.

I think you played on extreme maps for the challenge and not that other faction you don't visit ? :-)

Hydromancerx

Some Ideas ...

- Bone Marrow - Extract the bone marrow from bones and get a meat resource.

- Bone Meal - Ground down bones to make fertilizer.

- Bone Clothing - Custom made clothing that look like bones.

Jedi0n

Quote from: SihvMan on May 18, 2017, 04:39:38 AM

Good For?

• Tribal play-throughs, before stone-cutting is researched. Bone has no flammability, so can be used to fireproof parts of your early base.

Steel, which inherently has 20% flammability, burns at ~2500 degrees. Bone, while I suppose doesn't necessarily burn, does brittle and crack at some ~1830 degrees. It surely is not likely to be utilized in fireproofing. I can't find anything online at least that would suggest it's useful for that.

Unfortunately that alone bars me from further interest in the mod, I'm sorry. But don't let my thirst for realism shoot anyone down, I think it's always a good thing to maintain and work on mods. Keep up the good work.

Dark_Inquisitor

Quote from: Jedi0n on June 28, 2017, 11:50:34 AM
Steel, which inherently has 20% flammability, burns at ~2500 degrees. Bone, while I suppose doesn't necessarily burn, does brittle and crack at some ~1830 degrees. It surely is not likely to be utilized in fireproofing. I can't find anything online at least that would suggest it's useful for that.

Unfortunately that alone bars me from further interest in the mod, I'm sorry. But don't let my thirst for realism shoot anyone down, I think it's always a good thing to maintain and work on mods. Keep up the good work.

Boy oh boy. Hope you'll like the fact that you can build 15m long walls for the same amount of metal that goes for a rifle, or the fact you plant potatos from thin air... Also, have you ever tried to ask the orbital slaver how does he buys guys from you, but can't give you a lift?...
RimWorld is sure great for in-game-reality-seekers! ;)

Jedi0n

Quote from: Dark_Inquisitor on June 28, 2017, 01:21:10 PM

Boy oh boy. Hope you'll like the fact that you can build 15m long walls for the same amount of metal that goes for a rifle, or the fact you plant potatos from thin air... Also, have you ever tried to ask the orbital slaver how does he buys guys from you, but can't give you a lift?...
RimWorld is sure great for in-game-reality-seekers! ;)

Unfortunately you assume my thirst for reality encompasses all elements within the game. It does not. I understand what can and can't be modified to a realistic liking because it would be game breaking, in it's current state. But either way, some things I'll accept and some things I won't. It's why this game is so modular, amiright?

SihvMan

Good For?

• Tribal play-throughs, before stone-cutting is researched. Bone has no flammability, so can be used to fireproof parts of your early base.

To be fair, I think the fact that steel walls burn in RimWorld is more unrealistic than bones not burning. That being said, to each their own. I'm glad you took the time to at least look and comment, and I thank you for your encouragement.

Canute

Hi SihvMan
i am geting this error.
[Bone Mod] Patch operation Verse.PatchOperationAdd(*/ThingDef[defName = "ElectricCrematorium"]/recipes) failed
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.PatchOperation:Complete(String)
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadAllActiveMods()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__84E()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__84C()

Jedi0n

Quote from: SihvMan on June 28, 2017, 06:01:08 PM

Good For?

To be fair, I think the fact that steel walls burn in RimWorld is more unrealistic than bones not burning. That being said, to each their own. I'm glad you took the time to at least look and comment, and I thank you for your encouragement.

I agree on that. I think that fire should have a temperature defined for itself on each square it moves to or something similar which wouldn't take up too much CPU. In that case if a fire were to reach the correct temp. then it can successfully spread to the steel. Aside from that your mod is good for anyone interested in bone/tribal colonies. If anything the flammability 0% works well with the lack of realism current fire has in it's own capabilities, to argue my own point :)

My interest stemmed from the novelty and to see it used by other factions mostly.