[1.0] StarshipTroopers Arachnid Ver5.0 - THE BUGS ARE BACK!!!

Started by WalkingProblem, May 19, 2017, 09:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashardalon411

i just have one araknid's raid in the summer of a boreal forest, these plasma bugs are so strong !
2 of them have almost one shot my standard shield (ed shield) and the SIF shield have give all his energy for protect and repair the embrasures, also this last was behind one sandstone's embrasure wall+ one standard sandstone's wall (+standard shield+the wall protect of the SIF) and he survived trembling with one, just one hp !
Despiste this shields's protection, my plasteel precision turrets fall at 28% hp in a total of two shots. I think that without ed shields and more vanilla turrets, my colony were wiped...  :o

WalkingProblem

Quote from: ChaosChronicler on June 11, 2017, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: Walking Problem on June 11, 2017, 05:01:20 PM
Quote from: Ashardalon411 on June 11, 2017, 03:27:42 PM
Does they will spawn if the climate is cold ? example in boreal forest or the poles ?

Yes they do. But if its overly cold, I doubt so... (if they do spawn, they die from the cold i guess...)
That's odd cause they can be out in the coldest thing in the universe and that's the universe  :P
Re Invasion seen on the outside of the station chasing Trig. The tv series had them on the surface of Pluto, and Zephyr which is an asteroid itself. I would post a pic but the only one I found was 1200X750

Noted. Maybe I will make their cold temperature tolerance better in the next update (if there is one)

Quote from: Ashardalon411 on June 12, 2017, 06:37:28 AM
i just have one araknid's raid in the summer of a boreal forest, these plasma bugs are so strong !
2 of them have almost one shot my standard shield (ed shield) and the SIF shield have give all his energy for protect and repair the embrasures, also this last was behind one sandstone's embrasure wall+ one standard sandstone's wall (+standard shield+the wall protect of the SIF) and he survived trembling with one, just one hp !
Despiste this shields's protection, my plasteel precision turrets fall at 28% hp in a total of two shots. I think that without ed shields and more vanilla turrets, my colony were wiped...  :o

But that makes for a good story and drama right? Which also makes your effort in building the shields pay off.

Plasma Bugs are in my opinion the most powerful bug in the mod. They are however not very strong physically. With the right tactics (yes, you need to fight them with good tactics - which usually means, avoid line of sight), they can be beaten.... unless you live in on an open map... then good luck.

Olaf Forkbeard

So... Installed it and started a new game. Is this a normal sized raid (below)? Seems pretty intense for 5 guys (1 incapable of violence, 3 melee, 1 gunner), and some food. Doesn't help that Turrets aren't researched yet due to the Plague happening early in the game.

On my count there's 84 warrrior bugs, on Randy Rando, Rough.

---

Edit: Here is about a minute later.

Perhaps this just isn't playable outside of a heavy mountainous map?

ChaosChronicler

Hm Olaf was this a year after colony start? Never had anything like this yet but I'm playing on Casandra. However funny thing my last colony I used Randy on rough and got destroyed by smurfs in the second season  :P

Honestly it could just be the story teller A.I as it has done odd things before

Olaf Forkbeard

Septober of 5501. Had a slow start due to multiple infections and that damned plague.

Append:

I guess things would have worked out much better with a perimeter wall, I've gotten used to urban combat techniques from the vanilla game. Still though, I don't think I'm breaking that with my current resources.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Olaf Forkbeard on June 15, 2017, 04:01:07 PM
So... Installed it and started a new game. Is this a normal sized raid (below)? Seems pretty intense for 5 guys (1 incapable of violence, 3 melee, 1 gunner), and some food. Doesn't help that Turrets aren't researched yet due to the Plague happening early in the game.

On my count there's 84 warrrior bugs, on Randy Rando, Rough.

---

Edit: Here is about a minute later.

Perhaps this just isn't playable outside of a heavy mountainous map?

What is your difficulty level?

The mod is built on Rough difficulty (which means, the raids are generally survivable on Rough - but will get significantly tougher if you raise the difficulty)

Olaf Forkbeard

Randy Rando, Rough.

I wonder if any of those have had an affect?

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Olaf Forkbeard on June 15, 2017, 07:28:40 PM
Randy Rando, Rough.

I wonder if any of those have had an affect?

Doesnt seemed like it.

But in my testing, I did experience really random numbers when come to the raids, sometimes the raids are too small... some times its too big...

Maybe Randy dun like your colony.

I will do more testing before i release a next version to resolve this possible issue.

Olaf Forkbeard

All right, good to hear. I really like the idea of this mod. I assume I'm an outlier here, and I just want to play it. I'ma probably just dev mode that raid out and keep going.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Olaf Forkbeard on June 15, 2017, 08:45:38 PM
All right, good to hear. I really like the idea of this mod. I assume I'm an outlier here, and I just want to play it. I'ma probably just dev mode that raid out and keep going.

Yeah you should.

I will do my part and try to find why is the numbers so random

Olaf Forkbeard

Messing with Dev Mode, it matched the 3000 point ground invasion rather strongly. I guess Randy can spawn that from time to time ignoring base wealth? Or otherwise.

Ashardalon411

Personnaly i use this technique with this mod because i know how devastating it can be at the beginning:
peacefull or building colony difficulty and AFTER done a decent stonewall +turrets from MVT+ stone-embrasures and if possible standards and SIF Shield, after this, i go to rough.
Look at my story on the top.

I think personnaly that More vanilla turrets, ED embrasures and ED-Shields + a mod of your choice for supply this amouth of W., are a must have to survive in Rough difficulty.

Canute

Quote from: Ashardalon411 on June 16, 2017, 04:40:36 AM
I think personnaly that More vanilla turrets, ED embrasures and ED-Shields + a mod of your choice for supply this amouth of W., are a must have to survive in Rough difficulty.
Personaly i think a mod should give the needed tool to survive the threads, or at last it should point at needed tools to survive.
So you can't survive without embrasures and shields ?

Ashardalon411

without shields i think yes if there are not the plasma bugs, but i remember one time, which i have make a sniper fire on a a panther near the plasma bugs in a forest, the panther going berzerk, the plasma bugs focus them, and with the a.o.e. range they have explodes themselves and after a while the forest fire kill the third. (sometimes raids going wrong, lol !  ;D)
But in the most cases their aoe wipes the defenses of my fortress, and my colonists with them.
The response of the shields against this kind of ennemy are logical.
As a reminder we talk about something who can 1 or 2 shot a whole pack of plasteel turrets whitout these shields...

Olaf Forkbeard

Yea, pretty much all of my mods are QoL. I'd kind of prefer if the invasion was scaled to just be "very difficult" instead of what I encountered using what it provides. And to be clear, my event appears to be an outlier.

That said, putting suggested mods list for it on the official description would give a better idea of what to expect, if any.