RimWorld change log

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

An automated mechanic would be very nice, but I could live with doin it manuall, depends on the frequencys of season changing, if it's approx. every three months, like on earth, it could be a little annoying after a time.

Also, a little suggestion that just came up my mind while reading the changelog: Some menues, like the trading interface, pause the game, and some others, like the stats window, don't pause it. It would be nice to have an option whether this menues should or should not pause the game.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Notho

Quote from: togt on October 30, 2014, 02:34:37 AM
Quote from: Notho on October 29, 2014, 07:35:53 PM
If we're going to have seasonal clothing, will we be able to build closets when it's not needed? Like the weapon lockers but for clothes?

Are you actually eager to pick out the clothing for your pawns?  Just wondering what part of this is apealing to the forum dwellers here.

I prefer if no further interaction is involved in this from the player. Let the pawns find their own seasonal clothing in the stockpile and put it in their own locker so they can wear it after waking up.

This is fine with me. I was only wondering if there will be some other way of storing extra clothing besides dumping it in a random stockpile.

Hoodinski

So if I understand this correctly the daily changelog is there to tell us what is his glorious self Tynan the Bold doing. But the changes mentioned are not implemented right away, right? It's future changelog for the future version?

Haplo

Yes. It's what he is working on at the moment. That means we see the results in the next alpha release :)

vagineer1

Quote from: Haplo on October 30, 2014, 02:57:41 PM
Yes. It's what he is working on at the moment. That means we see the results in the next alpha release :)

I cannot wait to see what the next version of Rimworld will include. I do hope we can make campfires and stoves (Preferably pot-bellied wood burning stoves) to keep our colonists warm during those long winter nights.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Cimanyd

Everything Sept 25 and later is what will be in Alpha 8. (Improved armor system, continuation of the new rock system, melee weapons craftable and made of stuff, temperature system, etc.)

Everything before Sept 25 is what's already in A7 (or earlier).

Oct 29
  • Temperatures now equalize through doors, especially while they are open.
Time to build airlocks!
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Dr. Z

How deep will the plants-season interaction be in Alpha 8? Will there be something like "Potatos are only harvestable in spring and beries in summer" or something like that (no connection to real world intended, I don't have a clue when those things are harvested).
Prasie the Squirrel!

Shinzy

Quote from: Dr. Z on October 30, 2014, 03:41:04 PM
How deep will the plants-season interaction be in Alpha 8? Will there be something like "Potatos are only harvestable in spring and beries in summer" or something like that (no connection to real world intended, I don't have a clue when those things are harvested).

I'd imagine the plants won't grow in certain temperatures (just like the light levels) it'd make sense to me!
so I guess growing stuff in certain biomes needs sunlamps (and heaters if sunlamps won't do the trick!)
or plant your potatoes around steam geysers! =P (I mean from my experience steam is very very hot and you don't want to stick your paws in it)

Dr. Z

Sounds cool, but my question was more about harvest time, like in RL plants need to be planted in a certain season and there is a certain seson when they're harvested. You can't just put potatoes in the earth and a week later you have the plants, like it's in RimWorld. So I wonder if we will see machanics like that in A8.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Tynan

Quote from: Dr. Z on October 30, 2014, 04:02:36 PM
Sounds cool, but my question was more about harvest time, like in RL plants need to be planted in a certain season and there is a certain seson when they're harvested. You can't just put potatoes in the earth and a week later you have the plants, like it's in RimWorld. So I wonder if we will see machanics like that in A8.

Good question. We're not doing realistic once-per-year harvest cycles (yet) just because it's bit harsh in terms of gameplay pacing. Perhaps later. It would be interesting to see a realistic food production cycle; you'd need massive fields, for example. Which is realistic.

For now, it's all the same except plant growth is affected by temperature. When it's too cold nothing grows and you can't plant anything. You can, of course, build an indoor greenhouse and plant all year.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2014, 08:51:07 PM
...When it's too cold nothing grows...

and something else actually shrinks.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 30, 2014, 09:42:52 PM
Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2014, 08:51:07 PM
...When it's too cold nothing grows...

and something else actually shrinks.
This should be in lord Fappington's mod thread. :P
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Barley

Parkas are nice, but the Devilstrand Duster w/ Devilstrand Cowboy hat will remain the epitome of style.

stefanstr

Quote from: Cimanyd on October 30, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
Oct 29
  • Temperatures now equalize through doors, especially while they are open.
Time to build airlocks!

I think that temperatures should also equalize through normal materials, albeit differently. Something to simulate the constant low temperatures in caves, for example.

Cedric

hm
Oct 23

Refactored how graphics are defined and loaded.

Could someone explain to me what this means? ( will this have an impact on performance?)

Also I'm super excited about temperature! :)