[1.0]Rimworld Ore Processing[No Longer supported, check out my new ore mod]

Started by WolfgangPolska, December 07, 2018, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of mine ideas  should I add next?

No need for crafters, ores are now smelted in similar fashion as beer ferments, in primitive smelters or industrial blast furnances
New metals and their alloys
Industrial auto-miners - getting rid of need for manpower
Facilities enhancing mining speed, yield etc.

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: vovik on December 24, 2018, 04:55:33 PM
i didnt find the ability to modify map gen with pure xml, i didnt try to mod that, so id propose to build mining node out of few chunks and some resources, and name it mining well + hediffs for crampled space mood debuff (which is negated by undergrounder).

Wow, I'm thankful for feedback vovik. I was thinking abput adding custom hediff, such as "miners hunger" which would boost hunger by 200%, reflecting the increased calories dependecy.
I thought about further balancing mining wells, by adding mining vents(something like steam geysers, which would apear randomly on map), and you could build only one extraction type well on it, for example steel weel, for plasttel and steel, precious metals well for gold silver etc. na so on. Unfortunately I'm not much into C# coding, but I'm trying to figure out ways to incorporate that ideas to game.
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

AmS

Quote from: vovik on December 24, 2018, 03:26:03 PM
Here is attachment - i fixed most of that for you, also added balance - smelting at different smelters is progressively better.

one thing that bothers me with your version:
you can research "efficient smelting" but build the "fueld smelter" only when
you have "smithing" too, wouldnt it be better to link this researchpath too?
first i thought it might be a bug ...

vovik

Quote from: AmS on December 30, 2018, 03:27:22 AM
Quote from: vovik on December 24, 2018, 03:26:03 PM
Here is attachment - i fixed most of that for you, also added balance - smelting at different smelters is progressively better.

one thing that bothers me with your version:
you can research "efficient smelting" but build the "fueld smelter" only when
you have "smithing" too, wouldnt it be better to link this researchpath too?
first i thought it might be a bug ...
well, yea, great overlook, tho i thought it woulbd be logical to get that smithy-like building when you get smithing researched so you get efficient smelting used right when you need extensive metal usage, not before, thats fixable, just remove <li>Smithing</li> in <researchPrerequisites> in Ore processing mod\Defs\ThingDefs_Buildings\workshopsore save it and launch or restart a game

Quote from: WolfgangPolska on December 29, 2018, 07:32:56 AM
Wow, I'm thankful for feedback vovik. I was thinking abput adding custom hediff, such as "miners hunger" which would boost hunger by 200%, reflecting the increased calories dependecy.
I thought about further balancing mining wells, by adding mining vents(something like steam geysers, which would apear randomly on map), and you could build only one extraction type well on it, for example steel weel, for plasttel and steel, precious metals well for gold silver etc. na so on. Unfortunately I'm not much into C# coding, but I'm trying to figure out ways to incorporate that ideas to game.

yea, i thought of adding gen step that may do following:
a) scattered mining nodes in map at diffeent places with terrin requirement
b) scattered few clusters of mining nodes in different places (with player-friendly placement logic) and terrain requirement
c) created terrain that allows for building of mining nodes (least favorite variant, because mining nodes are built of air and cost money, bad for metagaming - least favorite variant)

Also, i somehow wanna incorporate explosives mod into this https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17285.285, so players can use tnt charges to get some ore

Plus i would also add some textures for ore and change chunks into raw ore - naturally its rarely to find that amount of ore on place - 25 kg chunk containing some few kilograms of iron/silver/gold, really? Maybe some amount of raw ore instead?

About uranium - i would suggest changing recipe as uranium is not smelted its cured out with chemicals and [lots of useful scientific data on uranium processing] resulting in raw uranium, so its recipe is logically to be moved to chemical or fabrication bench.

About balancing - i would suggest adding hediff for crampled space for underground, not double/triple food usage - balancing out food usage is a pain in backside.

I may do most of said stuff after i get to lay my hands again on the mod (currently updating dissection mod further), something is doable by you while i am not at it.
Im open for additional suggestions while not at it.
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

Canute

QuoteAbout uranium - i would suggest changing recipe as uranium is not smelted its cured out with chemicals and [lots of useful scientific data on uranium processing] resulting in raw uranium, so its recipe is logically to be moved to chemical or fabrication bench.
You must differentiate between uranium ore into ingots -> smelting
And turn uranium into seperated isotope's -> different process.

vovik

So i will do stuff mentioned earlier and do following:

im going to integrate Fishing, Ore processing, Explosives mod,Garden tools and terraforming
So, what im going to do:
1. allow use of tnt for fisihing, mining at mining nodes. Feature.
2. use fertilizer, crushed coal (made from coal), and spawkweed to make tnt charges - coal, nitrogen and sulfur somthing is used to make powder(i dont remember actual ingridient names, tho sparkweed seems to generate something like sulfur and product is high-reactive). Recipe change.
3. add stations that allow terraforming ground in 3x3 area around them(require fertilizer to make garen and fertile soil; lots of work and fertilizer to terraform marshsy type of soil, mud, gravel, sand; cannot terraform stone - its a bit unrealistic, also there are planter boxes and hydroponics for that, also one cannot simply place soil on a rock and grow something there - it does not work that way). Because metagamng that counts for terrain cost and cost of terrain that counts in amount of work and ingridients. Balance change.
4. fishing node will allow for bill giving - its annoying that i cannot control how much fish i catch and when to stop, also will solve "carry fish after catch" as recipes have that option with more customization + integration with recipe changing mods. Major annoyance removal.
5. will turn most fish meat types into simple fish meat - its really annoying to have lots of different fish meat lying around taking space and since lobsters, crayfishes and snail can be used raw into food production and take time and effort for butchering these yielding less products - this is better option. Minor annoyance removal.
6. add fish`n`chips recipe - its annoying to butcher lots of little fishes that pile up and give not much of yield, just cook it with potatoes instead. Major annoyance removal.
7. will remove most terraforming recipes for terrain - really, developers made it that terran that has price is counted in raid generation, will stop that and use custom terrain transformation via code instead! Major annoyance removal. Game disbalance removal.
8. will remove most upgrades - game is simple as it is and bringing more complexity with home-brewn mechanics that work mostly in your mod is a bit strange. I understand that this is more realistic but its like a paid dlc, wanna get full version? pay! - how about full version from the start? Major annoyance removal.
9. will remove pile of dirt and lots of other things like different fish meat - its just a resource that again gets into home-brewn mechanic - vanilla pots dont need dirt, assuming that time that pawn goes around to take some dirt or sand for crafting is accounted into crafting time - its a simplification that game allows for. Minor annoyance removal.
10. will give all things and minified buildings their respective place in stockpile tree, if not done already

This is what i am going to do, i post this to ask for your opinion, permission i will do it anyway and open for suggestions.

Sorry for any inconviniences while reading.
Mein Herz brennt

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: vovik on January 05, 2019, 09:19:29 AM
So i will do stuff mentioned earlier and do following:

im going to integrate Fishing, Ore processing, Explosives mod,Garden tools and terraforming
So, what im going to do:
1. allow use of tnt for fisihing, mining at mining nodes. Feature.
2. use fertilizer, crushed coal (made from coal), and spawkweed to make tnt charges - coal, nitrogen and sulfur somthing is used to make powder(i dont remember actual ingridient names, tho sparkweed seems to generate something like sulfur and product is high-reactive). Recipe change.
3. add stations that allow terraforming ground in 3x3 area around them(require fertilizer to make garen and fertile soil; lots of work and fertilizer to terraform marshsy type of soil, mud, gravel, sand; cannot terraform stone - its a bit unrealistic, also there are planter boxes and hydroponics for that, also one cannot simply place soil on a rock and grow something there - it does not work that way). Because metagamng that counts for terrain cost and cost of terrain that counts in amount of work and ingridients. Balance change.
4. fishing node will allow for bill giving - its annoying that i cannot control how much fish i catch and when to stop, also will solve "carry fish after catch" as recipes have that option with more customization + integration with recipe changing mods. Major annoyance removal.
5. will turn most fish meat types into simple fish meat - its really annoying to have lots of different fish meat lying around taking space and since lobsters, crayfishes and snail can be used raw into food production and take time and effort for butchering these yielding less products - this is better option. Minor annoyance removal.
6. add fish`n`chips recipe - its annoying to butcher lots of little fishes that pile up and give not much of yield, just cook it with potatoes instead. Major annoyance removal.
7. will remove most terraforming recipes for terrain - really, developers made it that terran that has price is counted in raid generation, will stop that and use custom terrain transformation via code instead! Major annoyance removal. Game disbalance removal.
8. will remove most upgrades - game is simple as it is and bringing more complexity with home-brewn mechanics that work mostly in your mod is a bit strange. I understand that this is more realistic but its like a paid dlc, wanna get full version? pay! - how about full version from the start? Major annoyance removal.
9. will remove pile of dirt and lots of other things like different fish meat - its just a resource that again gets into home-brewn mechanic - vanilla pots dont need dirt, assuming that time that pawn goes around to take some dirt or sand for crafting is accounted into crafting time - its a simplification that game allows for. Minor annoyance removal.
10. will give all things and minified buildings their respective place in stockpile tree, if not done already

This is what i am going to do, i post this to ask for your opinion, permission i will do it anyway and open for suggestions.

Sorry for any inconviniences while reading.
Still, you should ask other authors about their permission, I wont really mind if you modify my mod, just credit this post.

vovik

Already done, waiting up forresponses and doing stuff
Mein Herz brennt

WolfgangPolska

Version v1.2 changelog
-Added  mining platform, placed on resource hole in place of mining nodes
-Rebalanced few recipes
-Added way to make adobe  bricks
-Uranium smelting now require chemfuel to purify the ore instead of silver.
-Added Vovivk's fixes to few not-well-thought out issues.
-removed mining nodes
-added new textures made by sma342(smelter and mining well)

temple_wing

Would you please re-structure your github repo, put the content outside the folder?
So that, people can just update your mod by simply fetching the hub.

WolfgangPolska

temple_wing

Failed to find Verse.ThingDef named AdobeBlocks. There are 1063 defs of this type loaded.
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.DefDatabase`1:GetNamed(String, Boolean)
Verse.ThingDef:Named(String)
oreprocessing.DryingSpot:PlaceProduct()
oreprocessing.DryingSpot:TickRare()
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Exception ticking DryingSpot23492 (at (73, 0, 115)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.ThingMaker.MakeThing (Verse.ThingDef def, Verse.ThingDef stuff) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at oreprocessing.DryingSpot.PlaceProduct () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at oreprocessing.DryingSpot.TickRare () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Failed to find Verse.ThingDef named AdobeBlocks. There are 1063 defs of this type loaded.

Exception ticking DryingSpot23492 (at (73, 0, 115)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.ThingMaker.MakeThing (Verse.ThingDef def, Verse.ThingDef stuff) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I founded a Def named "BlocksAdobe" in the items_resources_Defs.xml

temple_wing

Coal has market value of 2, and it cost 40 coal to get 10 steel, and steel has market value of 1.9. Looks like that it need some balancing.
Introducing coal is a trouble thing, it should be able to be used as a fuel. To fuel eg: fueled stove.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I suggest compact steel deposit drop metal slug instead of iron ore.
And increase commonality of steel deposit and metal slug. Metal items should be very common million years age :p. Smelt metal slug should be much easier than smelt iron ore, so player can get steel at early game without coal.
Adobe is too powerful.
As far as I know, adobe brick is a kind of brick that does not has a roasting process. How can it be even harder than marble ( 15% harder ).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I try to build a drill machine, there is no longer deposit area.
What about keep vanilla drill system, don't remove it, but make mining platform a "low tech version of driller"?

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: temple_wing on February 12, 2019, 01:14:55 AM
Coal has market value of 2, and it cost 40 coal to get 10 steel, and steel has market value of 1.9. Looks like that it need some balancing.
Introducing coal is a trouble thing, it should be able to be used as a fuel. To fuel eg: fueled stove.
And I suggest compact steel deposit drop metal slug instead of iron ore.
And increase commonality of steel deposit and metal slug. Metal items should be very common million years age :p. Smelt metal slug should be much easier than smelt iron ore, so player can get steel at early game without coal.
Adobe is too powerful.
As far as I know, adobe brick is a kind of brick that does not has a roasting process. How can it be even harder than marble ( 15% harder ).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I try to build a drill machine, there is no longer deposit area.
What about keep vanilla drill system, don't remove it, but make mining platform a "low tech version of driller"?
Yeah, sure I should patch that today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think ore will become raw resource, rather than a chunk, that way you will be able to purchase it cheap, and sell it afterwards for a  better price, as smelted metal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I'm aware mod needs a lot of balancing as it concerns  the difficulty in particular.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't touch the vanilla system, I guess I've accidentally created issues with map generation by adding nodes. I will look into that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I should have conducted more intensive testing in future, sorry about that!.

Canute

Quote from: WolfgangPolska on February 12, 2019, 04:09:28 AM
Quote from: temple_wing on February 12, 2019, 01:14:55 AM
Yeah, sure I should patch that today.
Coal are a more effective fuel then wood log, so i think it is a bad idea to use it as fuel for other workbenches like stove. It would be a waste of coal when it get burned down like wood logs.

Coal as fuel for the FueledSmelter, maybe for the Primitive smelter (same problem with the fuel eff.) and remove the wood logs from the FueledSmelter and add a recipe to made coal(charcoal) from wood logs. Or if you want made it realistic use universal fermenter to create a charcoal kiln to turn wood logs into charcoal/coal over time.
Then the recipes from the FueledSmelter don't need coal anymore but keep it at the electric smelter with less amount, since at last steel need carbon to be steel. Not sure about plasteel/uranium.

vovik

Mein Herz brennt