If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thal

Quote from: Canute on October 01, 2019, 03:39:38 PM
you should try that Rimworld use the other videocard

Yea, I noticed that the crash report said that the Intel GPU was being used, too... Altho I configured the AMD "switchable graphics" (translation from german, dunno if it is called like that in english) so that the AMD Radeon should be used...

I'm gonna ask the AMD support next, I think. If that doesn't work, I'll do step 2 and 4 from the sticky topic, and let you know the results.

Thal

So, I thought I updated my AMD Radeon drivers, because the old one was from 2013, and the new one was from 1 month ago...

BUT, the old one was from the manufacturer (Clevo), and the new one was from AMD. That's why the new one didn't work correctly.

The AMD support also gave me the advice to try and disable the Intel GPU in BIOS, however, in my BIOS there was no setting for disabling any GPU. And the support from mySN/XMG/Schenker (where I bought the laptop), confirmed: I can't disable it.
"Leider ist es bei dem Barebone P170EM von Clevo nicht möglich, die integrierte Intel-GPU im BIOS auszuschalten.
Durch die Integration von NVIDIA Optimus bzw. in Ihrem Fall von AMD Enduro ist dies nicht möglich."

I tried to switch back to the old driver, deinstalled the new driver. Rimworld worked again, but the Catalyst Control Center didnt work correctly, so I downloaded the driver from Clevo and installed that, but now the GPU driver was completely broken with constantly flickering display and crashing programs.

So now I'm preparing for restoring my SSD from a backup...

Sorry for writing all this kinda unneccessary stuff, but I need to reflect myself about what happened. Thanks for bearing with me, and wish me luck that the backup works :)

Thal

Alright, everything is working again!
Thanks for the help, that small hint actually helped a lot :)

3elik

Good day!

Could you please help me with the following problem.
My game crashes after launch in 5-6 seconds.
No errors are shown at all.

Sometimes the game may not crash if I do nothing. But if I click any button, the game immediately crashes.

I am using the steam version. I completely deleted the game from the computer from the steam folder and AppData. It does not help.
I tried to quickly change the language in the game (English, Russian, other). It does not help.
I tried to run the game in windowed mode and with different screen resolutions. It does not help.
I tried in Steam to launch different versions of the game (b18, b19). It does not help.

I am using a 64 bit version of the game.

Computer configuration:
CPU: OctalCore AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 4100 MHz
Motherboard: Asus TUF X470-Plus Gaming
System memory: 16310 MB
Video adapter: Radeon RX Vega (8176 MB)

AMD Radeon Software 2019.1204.2025.36760

Canute

Hi,
the logfiles don't show any hint why Rimworld got ended. It isn't a crash because at a crash you would get a crash msg. + crash folder.
Only
QuoteCouldn't find exact match for backstory ComputerGeek14, or any close match.
Couldn't find exact match for backstory Technician82, or any close match.
are suspicious, but no real reason for a crash.
And since you mention you complete delete (not uninstalled) all surplus files should be gone too.

So i think some other tools you installed on your mashine should be the reason.
I don't think any antivir tool would end a program without report/warning.
So check other tools you are running at the background.

I think someone got trouble when he launched the game over steam.
Could you try what happen when you Rimworld starts direct from the installed folder and not over Steam.

Beside that i don't have any ideas.

3elik

Quote from: Canute on December 29, 2019, 08:12:38 AM
Could you try what happen when you Rimworld starts direct from the installed folder and not over Steam.

Hello!

Thank you for the idea.
Yes, indeed, when the game is launched through Steam, it crashes. But when the game starts from the direct folder, then it works fine.

I don't know why this is happening. I looked at the Steam file logs but could not find a reason.
Could you please look and suggest what is the reason?

Thanks in advance.

zdenek

Hello, Game doesnt start up on my MacOS Catalina.

I delete my older version downloaded directly from your dropbox.
and download brand new steam, delele older rimworld and instal brand new from steam. but still doesnt work and show this error:

Steam – Error
An error occurred white updating RimWorld (uknow error)
See the Steam supprt site for more information

need to say, the game doesnt work before. i read some articles about that and its maybe because rimworl its not supported on Catalina OS?

Thanks for response

Canute

zdenek,
did you took the time before and browser at this subforum before you post ?
If not read
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49609.0

SiRFiR

Hello!
Recently there was an update for Rimworld to version 1.1 and after updating my game it totally stopped working. I can't even made it to the main menu. It's always register an error giving me only one option to do: "shut down the programm".
I have the license Steam version of Rimworld and even updating my game back to the 1.0 version do nothing, it's still not working!! :'(
Please, help me, I want to try out new Royalty DLC and even already bought it.  :'(|

P.S.: I'm playing on Windows 7 without mods

Canute

SiRFiR,
since the new version use a new unity engine your video card might need actual driver.
If you didn't try this so far, it should be the first thing you should do.

Did you use any mods if yes, you should deactivate them all.
So you can be sure the problem happen with the plain vanilla game and isn't based on a mod problem.
After you be sure the problem still happen without mods, a logfile would be helpful and might show a problem.
Look at the rimworld installation for the _data folder, inside you will find output_log.txt, attach it as file to your answer. You need to use Reply to see file attachment options.

Kiame

For anyone that was using the launch argument in steam to change the RimWorld settings directory

-savedatafolder="full location here"

i was getting a black screen. Removing that argument and the game launches fine

Using symlink from cmd

mklink /J "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Ludeon Studios"

works

Canute

Any path which contain a blank/space need to be enclosed in "" or the blank would be interpret as seperator.
Basicly that isn't anything new.

Kiame

In my cases there are no spaces yet still a black screen. Just noting it here for another avenue to explore for others.

alexj

Hello, I played a few hours of Royals 1.1 on my mac but after hotfix #2 the game no longer starts. It opens up to a black screen and sits there forever. Using 0% CPU.

I've tried uninstalling the game in steam, clearing all ludeon/rimworld directories in "~/Library/Application Support" and reinstalling. It doesn't help.

Any suggestions what else to try?

I found a log file which might give some help:

~/Library ❯ cat './Logs/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Player.log'
Mono path[0] = '/Users/alex/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Users/alex/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Initialize engine version: 2019.2.17f1 (8e603399ca02)
[XR] Discovering subsystems at path /Users/alex/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/UnitySubsystems
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Initializing Metal device caps: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  0.120 seconds
UnloadTime: 0.718634 ms

EDIT: after a long time waiting (a minute or two) the game crashed and this error appeared in the log:
/Users/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/common/pipes.cpp (770) : Assertion Failed: fatal stalled cross-thread pipe

EDIT 2: second time restarting computer things worked again. I guess this is some intermittent error. At least I have a solution :)

WolflingTeo

Hi,
I've just updated to v1.1 on steam and the game no longer starts.
Games starts fine on laptop only set-up (Alienware with Windows 8.1 system) but when I connect the multi-screen set-up (extended desktop) through the Kensington universal docking station the game will crash on start-up.
I tried using steam launch options for fullscreen and windowed mode and tried launching the game from the folder but had no luck.
Earlier versions worked fine on this set-up.
Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Game works if I set any two of the three screens in duplicate mode.