[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: Vas on November 09, 2014, 12:34:24 PM
How about the ability to set a colonist's birthday?  Also to change their body type.  I'm tired of getting fat people that look like a giant ball with a head on it.  :P

I'll add the birthday option to the list of requested features.  Seems like a reasonable thing to add, but it will probably be a lower priority for the time being.

Unfortunately, the body type is directly tied to the colonist's adult backstory, and I have not found a workaround that would let me override it--so I won't be able to add that until it's changed in the vanilla game.

Vas

Does your DLL scan the game for traits?  Or does it have traits listed in the DLL it's self?

I can't tell if some are missing from the game or not, last time I played (ages back in Alpha 2 and 3), the game had a lot more traits, and you could have 4 traits rather than 3.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/output2.txt
These used to be the traits I could find before, but some appear not to show up in your mod.  Are they deleted from the game or are they just not found by your mod?  Or what?

Do you think you could create a separate tool to export the traits, child/adulthoods, all the stuff that defines a pawn?  I'd like to have a spreadsheet with the descriptions and effects of each trait and childhood and stuff.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

EdB

Quote from: Vas on November 10, 2014, 01:47:08 PM
Does your DLL scan the game for traits?  Or does it have traits listed in the DLL it's self?

I can't tell if some are missing from the game or not, last time I played (ages back in Alpha 2 and 3), the game had a lot more traits, and you could have 4 traits rather than 3.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30270697/output2.txt
These used to be the traits I could find before, but some appear not to show up in your mod.  Are they deleted from the game or are they just not found by your mod?  Or what?

Do you think you could create a separate tool to export the traits, child/adulthoods, all the stuff that defines a pawn?  I'd like to have a spreadsheet with the descriptions and effects of each trait and childhood and stuff.

As far as I can tell, when traits started having an impact on gameplay in Alpha 7 (or was it Alpha 6?), they changed, and a lot of the ones that you mention from the earlier versions were removed.  Traits are defined in XML files in the Core mod now (/Mods/Core/Defs/TraitDefs) and should therefore be mod-able.  When characters are randomly generated in vanilla, they are given one or two traits. I added a third slot to the mod just for fun.

Vas

What about the childhood and adulthood lists?  I didn't see those in Core.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

EdB

Quote from: Vas on November 11, 2014, 10:36:41 AM
What about the childhood and adulthood lists?  I didn't see those in Core.

Backstories are still only defined in the game resource binaries.  It's easy to access them from the code, but it would require some effort to export them to a useable format.

Dragoon

Oh right is there an info button like on the side of weapons/appereal items in general ? I ask cause I wanna sure I take what I want/need and not a wildcard (unless you want it to be one) .
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

EdB

Quote from: Dragoon on November 12, 2014, 05:07:15 PM
Oh right is there an info button like on the side of weapons/appereal items in general ? I ask cause I wanna sure I take what I want/need and not a wildcard (unless you want it to be one) .

Yes, it definitely makes sense to add this extra information either as a tooltip (which has been on my list of things to do for a long time) or to just add the "i" info button.

DirtyDusty

i know it may be asking for much, by the way I LOVE THIS MOD, makes this game repayable 1000 times over, but would it be possible to add a feature to have more than a maximum of 10 colonists? ive been playing around with the saves and got myself a starting colony of 35 which turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun but when i load up the save again it duplicates a colonist for some reason. Adding a no max colonist option would really make my day, thank you so much for this mod, it really is the crown gem of this forum!

Vas

So you don't plan on exporting them as text only or anything? :P  I had hoped to make something with it all outside the game.  Basically, I wanted to make your prepare carefully mod work outside the game either from a site or program.  That way a friend can create a character that I can then import into the game.  :P  So they can see all the stuff without loading the game to see the stats.

Kelian

Can we get an installation guide? I just got rimworld two weeks ago, this is my first mod. How do I enable this?

EdB

Quote from: Kelian on November 13, 2014, 07:59:46 PM
Can we get an installation guide? I just got rimworld two weeks ago, this is my first mod. How do I enable this?

Take a look at this thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6223.0

EdB

Quote from: Vas on November 13, 2014, 02:15:11 PM
So you don't plan on exporting them as text only or anything? :P  I had hoped to make something with it all outside the game.  Basically, I wanted to make your prepare carefully mod work outside the game either from a site or program.  That way a friend can create a character that I can then import into the game.  :P  So they can see all the stuff without loading the game to see the stats.

I've attached a dump of all of the backstories as an XML file.  I hope it helps.  I did this as a one-off export using utility functions available in the game code, but I did not create any kind of full-fledged tool--I just don't have time to do that.  Note that this export format should not be considered as any kind of standard format that the game uses.  I have not looked in detail at how they are loaded.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Vas

Quote from: EdB on November 13, 2014, 09:01:24 PMI've attached a dump of all of the backstories as an XML file.  I hope it helps.  I did this as a one-off export using utility functions available in the game code, but I did not create any kind of full-fledged tool--I just don't have time to do that.  Note that this export format should not be considered as any kind of standard format that the game uses.  I have not looked in detail at how they are loaded.

Thanks, I think I've seen this somewhere before, but I don't exactly remember where, I do remember that there were maybe 2 more files that contained more special backstories though, player special versions and such.  I couldn't remember how I managed to get to it though, so I don't know exactly what to do to get to it myself.  When I use the Unity Asset Exporter tool, it errors part way through.

EdB

Quote from: Vas on November 14, 2014, 12:20:02 PM
...I do remember that there were maybe 2 more files that contained more special backstories though, player special versions and such...

This export puts them into one file, but it should include them all.

Igabod

Saw this mod suggestion and thought it would fit in well with your mod. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7440

To sum it up, a "Randomize All" button that starts you out with a random number of randomized colonists and a random amount of supplies. Literally leaving the player completely unaware of what they will get until they start the game. Could have 10 colonists all with no supplies and 3 of them injured. Or 2 really awesome colonists with lots of armor and weapons and anything between.

This could add even more replayability to the game I think.