[A13] [POLL] Temperature Control v2.41 May 2, 2016

Started by Igabod, December 16, 2014, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which feature do you find the most useful in this mod?

E-Heated Floors
Small Fan
Small Heater
Industrial Heater
Industrial Cooler
I use a a couple of them regularly (comment below to specify which ones please)
I use them all equally

Igabod

Well I just attempted to do electric cooled floors and had some pretty funny results that tell me I'm not going to be able to do it without writing a .dll file. And even then I don't know if it's possible. There is no way to set a min temp like you can for max temp with the camp fire. And I can't get rid of the blue square and red square like the ones on the cooler without making it stop cooling the room down. I'll look more into this after I take a break from staring at xml code though. As it looks for now though, I won't be doing a cooled version, though at least those don't really take up a build slot on the floor. I may make a fan object that can cool off a 5x4 room but doesn't use a bunch of electricity if I can figure out how to get rid of the red and blue boxes though. I will brainstorm more on this while I'm taking a break.

[edit to add] Although, upon thinking about it, maybe I don't need a min temp setting on this thing. I may try and see if putting alternating heating and cooling tiles in the room stabilizes it at 75 degrees. I would think that the cooling floors will continually work to cool the room down, but the heating tiles would continually work to heat it up until it is at 75 degrees. I'm not sure I like the idea of making people put both tiles in a room to keep the cooling tiles from reducing the temperatures to -200 F which does quickly kill any animals unlucky enough to get trapped in the room during the building process and I'm sure it would kill the colonists who get locked in by a maniacal player. This could be an interesting trap object, but I'm not interested in doing that just now.

[edit again to add] Nevermind, I did find a way to remove the red and blue squares. Still have the problem of not being able to set a minimum temperature, but I can do my fan idea now if I get around to it. If anybody has any suggestions on setting a minimum temperature please let me know.

KingOfAwesomnia

I love the idea, I've used it in my new game and it's pretty awesome. But, I didn't really like the textures so, since the advice in the original post is to lay actual flooring first and lay the heating over them, I decided to simply add some "heating marks" to the texture instead of having a full tile texture. I think it looks better this way, I've attached a screenshot and the texture I made, if anyone wants to use it. It's nothing special though, took me like 2 minutes or so to make :)

[attachment deleted due to age]

byondtester

Love it. Can you also make the reverse for hot surroundings?

Igabod

Quote from: KingOfAwesomnia on December 17, 2014, 12:50:20 PM
I love the idea, I've used it in my new game and it's pretty awesome. But, I didn't really like the textures so, since the advice in the original post is to lay actual flooring first and lay the heating over them, I decided to simply add some "heating marks" to the texture instead of having a full tile texture. I think it looks better this way, I've attached a screenshot and the texture I made, if anyone wants to use it. It's nothing special though, took me like 2 minutes or so to make :)

Not bad. I think that actually is the route I'm going to go with the E-heated floors. Though the texture I went with for that one is based off of a real life floor I've seen. It was basically just a clear sheet of plastic with blue zig-zags containing the electrical components. Though that texture is a lot more distracting than the one you have here. I'll probably go back and redo that texture but make it a little less intrusive.

Quote from: byondtester on December 17, 2014, 04:04:50 PM
Love it. Can you also make the reverse for hot surroundings?

I'm currently working on doing that, but it is a lot harder to do than the heated floors. The thing currently stopping it is that you can't set a minimum temperature, so the floors keep dropping the temp indefinitely. Quickly dropping the temp of the room to lower than -200F in one of my tests. If I can find a way to solve this issue you will have cooling floors.

Igabod

Big additions to the mod. The name is now Temperature Control. It contains a small fan for cooling your bedrooms as well as a small heater for warming the same rooms. And it includes an industrial sized heater that can heat a room way more effectively than the vanilla heaters. For example, in my testing I built a room that was so big it required 3 industrial heaters to heat it, but 25 regular heaters couldn't maintain the temperature in that same room. This could possibly be used in setting up heat traps for your unsuspecting visitors or for enemies. Please delete the E-heated Floors mod if you plan on updating to this version.

Viperlol

When in doubt, rely on everyone else to fix up your .xml

Igabod

Quote from: Viperlol on December 19, 2014, 07:53:10 AM
Fancy new update/mod, I love the idea for fans!

Glad you like the new update. :) It wasn't really much work for me. ItchyFlea was already working on the fan and small heater when he heard that I was planning on doing those so he just gave me the XML he already had done. I only tweaked a few small things on that, got Rilamus to do the textures and threw in the XML for the Industrial heater. I really love when a mod comes together through the efforts of many people.

Ded1

Looks awesome and thanks for tossing me credit.  I didn't expect it for a small idea like that.  Oh and how much stronger is the new Industrial Heater?  I hope at least twice as strong if not more.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

NotAnHiro

Sorry to be a bother, but is there a link for downloading the mod? I didn't see one.

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on December 19, 2014, 10:00:26 AM
Looks awesome and thanks for tossing me credit.  I didn't expect it for a small idea like that.  Oh and how much stronger is the new Industrial Heater?  I hope at least twice as strong if not more.

The industrial heater puts off a TON of heat per second. It is effective enough that 3 of them worked to heat up a room that was so big that 25 regular ones couldn't heat it.

Quote from: NotAnHiro on December 19, 2014, 07:20:27 PM
Sorry to be a bother, but is there a link for downloading the mod? I didn't see one.

The downloads are attached at the very bottom of the OP. You must be logged in to see them.

Igabod

I added a poll to this thread. I'm just curious which features everybody thinks are the most useful. There isn't really any point in answering if you don't feel like it. I'm just curious is all.

Igabod

Quote from: NotAnHiro on December 19, 2014, 09:37:58 PM
Whoops, sorry about that.

Not a problem. A lot of people (including me) didn't know that when they downloaded their first mod. I hope you enjoy playing this game as much as me. :)

Ded1

So replying cause you said too, i use the heaters mainly but i also really only play in the Ice Sheet Biome so there is no need for anything to cool with.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on December 19, 2014, 10:16:03 PM
So replying cause you said too, i use the heaters mainly but i also really only play in the Ice Sheet Biome so there is no need for anything to cool with.

Hah, yeah I have only played one game outside the Icesheet/Tundra/Boreal Forest area since A8 and that one was in a fairly cool Temperate zone. I will probably play an Arid zone next time I play though.