I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: travin on March 01, 2017, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 01, 2017, 03:27:32 AM...Why this should result in a MORE stable electrical system is unclear.

The stability comes in the form of distributed load. Haven't you noticed the conduit grids within the bounds of each device?
*Ahem*
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Calahan

Hey everyone, can I please serve up a reminder of Tynan's most recent post in this thread, specifically the one relating to forming discussions about the exploits (or not) being posted.

Quote from: Tynan on January 31, 2017, 02:45:23 PM
One note: Please try to only post exploit reports. Please do NOT post:
-Discussions about what is or isn't an exploit
-Ideas to solve exploits or discussions thereof
-Low-effort "me too" posts

Thanks!

If anyone wants to discuss any of the exploits being posted in this thread in more detail, then please  can you create a separate discussion thread to do so, and not have that discussion in this thread (as per Tynan's request). Thank you.

(if I get time I will probably split several of the most recent posts into a separate thread. So if a bunch of posts disappear at some point in the next day or two, that is where they have gone).

travin

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't strictly run the numbers, but I believe breeding animals, at least in the case of chickens,  is an exploit because it produces substantive value from nothing. I suspect it's the same with other animals but to a lesser degree--more if you're using chickens as feed.

Chicks at all stages, roosters and hens all seem to eat the same nutritional quantity. Most chicks naturally cannot eat and do not need the same quantity of nutrition as an adult. And roosters don't need the same nutrition that hens need to lay eggs. Yet I understand they all eat the same portions of feed per day.  Accordingly, eggs are a spontaneous generation of resources because it cost nothing more to produce them.

The market also provides varying prices for each stage of chick growth and between hens and roosters. Presumably a higher price for hens is that they can reproduce or lay underfertilized eggs. It presents an unfair loss to buyers because the market doesn't reflect their true value, especially if fertilized.  Though considering the additional meat value produced from hatched eggs, that's an additional spontaneous generation of resources. But not everyone can or wants to breed chickens so they can't take advantage or offset their losses from an uncorrected market. If other animals also suffer from these same conditions, they're also spontaneously producing resources. It's an exploit.

To fix it wouldn't require anything more than nutrient needs adjusted on a curve and slightly more demanding for females when they're pregnant. Overall this change would make agriculture and breeding a more balanced and predictable affair without significant gameplay impact.

Hans Lemurson

Hmm...I did get a bit off-topic, didn't I.

Anyways how about an actual exploit report also dealing with chickens!
One Good Egg Un-Spoils the Bunch:
Quote from: milon on March 01, 2017, 04:54:12 PM
Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 28, 2017, 06:05:35 PM
Another oddity that goes into exploit territory is that temperature-spoiled fertile eggs will still stack with live eggs, and can thus be revived.  If you lost a bunch of purchased eggs due to improper handling, you only need one good egg to make up for it.

I think there's a saying about one good egg unspoiling the bunch, right? ;)

Yeah, stacked items aren't handled separately - once things get stacked they're averaged together (I think) and tracked as a unit. Which is efficient, but has some side effects.
Technically applies to non-chicken egg-layers too, but chickens are the only cool ones we care about.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Dukkha

Here's my favourite combat exploit that I can't wait to be fixed.

Position 1 or more gunners by your door that has enemies outside. Have another pawn open the door. As the door is opening move that pawn back into the base. During the open and close animation, enemies can't get in, and they never seem to fire at you. Meanwhile your gunners are free to fire through the opening. If you use a stone door, the slow animation can get you two volleys per round. It can be tedious to manage, but it's a very effective.

Also, if you surround poison/psychic ships with landmines before shooting it's basically an instant take down.
Losing is fun!

BlueLance213

Quote from: Dukkha on March 02, 2017, 04:59:12 PM
Here's my favourite combat exploit that I can't wait to be fixed.

Position 1 or more gunners by your door that has enemies outside. Have another pawn open the door. As the door is opening move that pawn back into the base. During the open and close animation, enemies can't get in, and they never seem to fire at you. Meanwhile your gunners are free to fire through the opening. If you use a stone door, the slow animation can get you two volleys per round. It can be tedious to manage, but it's a very effective.

To add to this I find a lot of the time if the enemy are engaged trying to break a door after seeing a pawn go through it, you can just shoot them from outwise with another pawn as most of the time they seem to stay agroed on the pawn inside.

Shurp

Just found a new exploit.  My colony has two doctors.  One is in bed recovering from minigun friendly fire.  The other one is binging on smokeweed and refuses to do anything useful.  Solution?

Click the "Restrict" tab, assign doctor #2 to sleep.  He immediately runs to bed and stops binging.  then you can draft him to wake him up and tell him to fix doctor #1.

I wouldn't feel so bad about using this exploit if 60% of my colonists weren't forbidden from doctoring.  This trait system is really obnoxious...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

MisterSpock

Im using following exploit to toggle my gunturrets on/off:

I have 2 powerconducts near my turret. One powered and one dead system.
By using the reconnect button i turn my turret off/on.

Brutetal

Quote from: MisterSpock on March 13, 2017, 05:04:14 PM

That's just genius, honestly.
I think I will use that for my sunlamps haha.

Ah, I don't kniw if this is really an exploit or a bug...
I have my stove in the freezer. Bills are set to drop on floor. The stove is surrounded by max stacked meals. Now if my cook produces meals they teleport to the next free or not maxxed stack/tile. Like magic.
Bug or exploit?

Lightzy

Quote from: MisterSpock on March 13, 2017, 05:04:14 PM

Brilliant

Limdood

telling an anesthetized colonist to drop their weapon makes them "rescuable" even if they are in a bed.  This means each colonist can successively show up and get the +15 "rescued me"  social impact.

bobucles

QuoteChicks at all stages, roosters and hens all seem to eat the same nutritional quantity.
That's not true. Chicks have a stomach size of 0.06, barely enough for a single unit of haygrass.

MisterSpock

Another Exploid in A16:

Colonists gets unhappy if a family member is gone. (Sold or died)

This can by bypassed atm by abond the family member with a carawan.

Wishmaster

How get to easy luciferium and artifacts:

- Travel to a free tile and settle.
- Find a shrine and open it.
- If you are lucky enough and the shrine is only defended by centipedes, bait them far away from the structure.
- Pick all the stuff, leave.

Well somehow this does not work if it is defended by scythers

b0rsuk

Handgrenade exploit

If you have a perimeter wall set up and entrance gates, when a raid comes you can order a colonist or two to spam a chokepoint with grenades. This works especially well with EMP grenades and molotov cocktails, because these deal little or no damage to stone walls.

You can use the same exploit to open ancient danger rooms easily. Breach a single point, spam the breach with EMP grenades, lure mechanoids out with a shielded person.