[MOD] (Alpha 3F) Wood Economy (v.0.94.1)

Started by ItchyFlea, February 26, 2014, 04:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

I agree the tree growth is a problem come late game. 0.93 should help alleviate that problem. Buying and selling logs/planks with traders is planned, and may be included in 0.93. (Highly likely now that I think about it.)

I like the idea of being able to use logs as fuel/light source, especially during solar flares. Although those will be tricky to implement in Alpha 2.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ItchyFlea

A new version has been released. This version is not compatible with previous versions. You will need to make a new colony, as the game will crash/behave strangely if you attempt to open a save file from 0.91 or 0.92 while running 0.93. While I hope this doesn't occur in the future, I cannot guarantee it.

Please post what you think about the prices of Logs, Planks and Mulch with traders.

Whats new in this version:
V0.93:
Additions:
Mulch Pile - Byproduct of processing Logs into Planks. 25HP
Planks, Logs and Wood Mulch can be traded with Farming and Industrial Traders. (Mulch only with Farming trader)
Wood Mulch - New terrain type. Improves soil fertility by 20%. Can only be placed on soil. Spreads Mulch Filth.

Changes:
Logs & Planks: Now use the health system. 50HP.
Turning Logs into Planks produces 1 wood mulch pile.
Trees: Various small tweaks.

Fixes:
Cactus no longer draws over tree texture.

NOTES:
It takes 2 Mulch Piles to improve soil.
Additions are using placeholder textures.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Zack_Wester

Can you make one version of the WallWood(wood wall) that cost one additional metal and have an power conduct in it like the metal wall.?
Hate when I build an wooden Hut/house and I cant drag the power line in whit out turning it into an mess or make it ugly.

ps0705

Has anyone been able to download the latest version, 0.93? After clicking the download button on the mediafire-page, it tries to connect but doesn't download any file.

Oragepoilu

Hi,

Trees often kill raiders in my save,

because they grow while in same time don't spread much => this lead to a lot of pathfinding issue (they can't go trought trees)

So I can't really play unless I cut "line" of tree inside forest and build something like Stone Tile to avoid them growing everywhere ....

(well, it turn that it's the best defense atm - cost nothing and kill by starvation raiders)

No idea how it could be avoided tought.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Oragepoilu on March 09, 2014, 12:19:45 PMHi,
because they grow while in same time don't spread much => this lead to a lot of pathfinding issue (they can't go trought trees)
So I can't really play unless I cut "line" of tree inside forest and build something like Stone Tile to avoid them growing everywhere ....
(well, it turn that it's the best defense atm - cost nothing and kill by starvation raiders)
I thought I had fixed that. Can you please upload your save so I can take a look and test a few things?

Oragepoilu

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 09, 2014, 04:39:25 PM
Quote from: Oragepoilu on March 09, 2014, 12:19:45 PMHi,
I thought I had fixed that. Can you please upload your save so I can take a look and test a few things?

Sorry but you'r request lead me to 3 problems :

-I'v already placed some Stone tiles to avoid any problem, in all the area where there are some trees
-I'm using some other mods, so it may become hard to test anyway mainly because mod don't allow often to "update" unless you start a new game, so it's not the last version
-I have no idea what ppl here use to upload file.

btw, it also kill squirrel, boomrat, bufalo, travelers, drop pod. All by starvation of course.

I could try to use the newest version with another save and test a bit (doing the same i do, and see if the same event occur) but i still wonder how you may have fixed that ? Making growing tree not possible when there is another tree nearby ? Almost sure it's not possible; Avoid spawming near tree ? Even if possible, could lead to mroe problem than it solve.

ItchyFlea

One of the tweaks I made to trees in 0.93 was to have them allow pawns to path through them if there is no other viable route for them to take. If you are using a previous version of the mod, that will be why pawns are getting stuck. Trees in 0.92 and below all completely block pathing.

bolti1703

just one question. i am the first official addon maker for wood economy? if so ,whats the prize?  ;D http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2413.0

bolti1703

ok, im the first official unofficial addon maker  ;D

Oragepoilu

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 09, 2014, 09:37:09 PM
One of the tweaks I made to trees in 0.93 was to have them allow pawns to path through them if there is no other viable route for them to take. If you are using a previous version of the mod, that will be why pawns are getting stuck. Trees in 0.92 and below all completely block pathing.

hu, i would never tought that could be possible atm.

Well, i'll have to update & make a new game then. Thx for you'r reply.

Vas

Just a quick thought I just now had.  You should (in Alpha 3) try to make it so trees spread and grow more rarely on certain map seeds.  Possibly with story tellers even.  So if someone chooses a difficult story teller, maybe trees will spread half as much and grow twice as slow.  Maybe a randomized event that will delete anywhere between 15% - 80% of the trees on the map, event would be Wood Rot, or Termites, or something like that and would always take a randomized value between 15% to 80% of the trees on the map.  Always leaving a minimum of 3 trees (1 tree on Randy or other difficult story tellers).

How does this sound for an added difficulty for Wood Economy?

Another thought I had, was a tree farm.  Using growing areas to grow trees.  It'd be nice if you could make it so trees can only grow 3 blocks apart, like they take a 3x3 grid each tree, and it grows in the center always and another tree must have it's own 3x3 grid with no tree grids in it before it can grow.  I often seen trees growing directly next to each other creating large unwalkable areas and such or even just looking bad.  So it'd be nice if they had to have 2 blocks free space between them always.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Vas on March 13, 2014, 06:42:06 AM
Another thought I had, was a tree farm.  Using growing areas to grow trees.  It'd be nice if you could make it so trees can only grow 3 blocks apart, like they take a 3x3 grid each tree, and it grows in the center always and another tree must have it's own 3x3 grid with no tree grids in it before it can grow.  I often seen trees growing directly next to each other creating large unwalkable areas and such or even just looking bad.  So it'd be nice if they had to have 2 blocks free space between them always.
You wouldn't believe how many times I've tried this in Alpha 2.
I don't know which approach I would consider closer. The game going rainbow colours upon completion of placing a sapling, or just the outright black screen when trying to start the game.  :)

As for unwalkable areas, that's been fixed in 0.93. Trees don't block movement anymore. But I do agree that they don't look all that good when next to each other. Although there isn't much I can do about that at the moment. Might be able to do it in Alpha 3.

EDIT: I like the idea of Wood Rot.

Kirid

I didn't really set out intending to mod your mod, But I did. I was testing workshops not shaped like a rectangle and came up with this

It still needs a little work, I'm not to good with this art angle yet.
But it makes little trees instead of logs when harvested, then the chopping block turns them into logs. Just adds a pointless step really..
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd