CK - Animal & Plant Pack [WIP]

Started by Coercion, August 29, 2016, 07:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What ecosystem should be overhauled next?

Arid Shrubland
3 (21.4%)
Ice Sheet, Tundra or Boreal Forest
2 (14.3%)
Desert or Extreme Desert
2 (14.3%)
Temperate Forest
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Mackinz

I'd like to make one quick fix to my previous suggestion: Peacock should be Peafowl as Peacock refers to the male Peafowl while Peahen refers to the female. Peafowl is the general term encompassing both.

Also, since there are so many other monkey types available in Rainforests, why remove the basic "Monkey"?

Shinzy

Quote from: Mackinz on September 06, 2016, 05:28:49 PM
Peacock should be Peafowl as Peacock refers to the male Peafowl while Peahen refers to the female. Peafowl is the general term encompassing both.

that's... oddly interesting information I didn't even know
(daydreams about Cumberbatch narrating peafowl documentary)

Coercion

Alright, peafowl it is.

I removed the vanilla monkey because I think the model looks out of place and strange (e.g. has legs, blurry, large, floating, etc.) Maybe I will leave it in.

Mackinz

Quote from: Shinzy on September 06, 2016, 05:36:49 PM
Quote from: Mackinz on September 06, 2016, 05:28:49 PM
Peacock should be Peafowl as Peacock refers to the male Peafowl while Peahen refers to the female. Peafowl is the general term encompassing both.

that's... oddly interesting information I didn't even know
(daydreams about Cumberbatch narrating peafowl documentary)
Quote from: Coercion on September 06, 2016, 05:44:18 PM
Alright, peafowl it is.
Yeah, peafowl are treated like chickens in their naming, just with "pea" at the beginning.

Plural - Peafowl
Male - Peacock
Female - Peahen
Baby - Peachick

Since RimWorld generates different names for animals depending on their gender or age (ex. Pig, Sow, Piglet), that feature could be used for the various animals in this mod, including peafowl.

QuoteI removed the vanilla monkey because I think the model looks out of place and strange (e.g. has legs, blurry, large, floating, etc.) Maybe I will leave it in.
You could also modify it to address ypur issues with it! :)

gillsminnow

Could we make suggestions on the rarity of the animals? I think cobra should be more common than tiger for example. Just imo.

Coercion

I will keep it in mind. The animal rarity will be figured out after testing and will take things into account like: ecosystem balance (predator-prey), visibility/camoflauge/habitat (canopy, brush, etc.), overall aesthetics, player challenge (manhunters), realistic density, territory boundaries, etc.

gillsminnow

I collected some data for you guys if it makes things any easier :)

https://i.gyazo.com/9e61023fac32e2f059da67e4f1fdd230.png

Coercion

Quote from: gillsminnow on September 07, 2016, 08:32:47 AM

thanks for this :)

I will consider it while working the animal statistics.

So you know, the Gorilla columns got shifted.

gillsminnow

Quote from: Coercion on September 07, 2016, 09:12:31 AM
Quote from: gillsminnow on September 07, 2016, 08:32:47 AM

Haha yeah cheers! If I can help with anything like this I will. Love your efforts on this.
thanks for this :)

I will consider it while working the animal statistics.

So you know, the Gorilla columns got shifted.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Coercion on September 06, 2016, 04:38:19 PM
The scope of this mod has greatly expanded past animals and has become a complete overhaul of the RimWorld ecosystem. So, here is an updated list of the new features:

The purpose of this mod is to add a significant amount of new animals, plants and factions to the game, increase fauna and flora biome diversity and drastically change biome climate and weather to account for things like humidity.

Version 1.0 will focus on the Tropical Rainforest biome.

Tropical Rainforest

Animal Density decreased from 7.2 to 6.0
Plant Density increased from 1.0 to 3.0

Wild Animals Added to Biome (20): Anteater, Gorilla, Jaguar, Komodo Dragon, Orangutan, Panda Bear, Sloth, Tapir, Tiger, White Tiger, Iguana, Python, Ocelot, Capuchin Monkey, Spider Monkey, Squirrel Monkey, Peacock, Macaw, Toucan, Parrot
Wild Animals Removed from Biome (8.): Alpaca, Boomalope, Emu, Rat, Tortoise, Turkey, Wild Boar, Monkey

Pack Animals Added to Biome: Elephant
Pack Animals Removed from Biome: Muffalo

Common: Anteater, Capybara, Chinchilla, Sloth, Tapir, Capuchin Monkey, Spider Monkey, Squirrel Monkey,
Uncommon: Gorilla, Jaguar, Orangutan, Panda Bear, Tiger, Macaw, Toucan, Parrot, Python, Peacock, Elephant
Rare: Cobra, Komodo Dragon, Panther, Iguana, Ocelot
Very Rare: Cassowary, White Tiger

Wild Plants Added to Biome (11): Fern (3 variations), Bromeliad, Corpse Flower, Mahogany Tree, Bamboo, Strangler Fig, Palm (3 variations)
Wild Plants Removed from Biome (4): Bush, Raspberry, Tall Grass, Dandelion

Common: Fern (3 variations), Palm (3 variations), Teak Tree, Cecropia Tree
Uncommon: Bromeliad, Mahogany Tree, Strangler Fig,
Rare: Corpse Flower, Bamboo

Weather: from Mostly Clear to Mostly Rainy
Temerature/ Heat Index: from 20 - 30 to 20 - 39 (to account for humity)

Factions Added: Wilders, Jungle Traders

If you are doing a Biome Overhaul, would you consider looking at the aging and size of trees ?
I was doing a bit of research myself, because I thought trees dying after 1 1/2 years is really stupid.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Coercion

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 07, 2016, 03:46:36 PM
If you are doing a Biome Overhaul, would you consider looking at the aging and size of trees ?
I was doing a bit of research myself, because I thought trees dying after 1 1/2 years is really stupid.
I was about to say I stumble upon something like this while hanging around on Github. But it was on your profile :p

Regarding the Dino Pack we'd better be sure to have trees/plants capable of sustaining animals of that size/power. 
In terms of "ecosystem" have you seen how just a few thrumbos (or even beavers) can ravage the vegetation of an entire map, image with a full dinosaurs ecosystem?

This make me think it will be another great modding experience : learn to balance ecosystems

I already have the name of the future release in minds : "Charles Darwin", "Carl von Linné", "Georges Cuvier", "Jean-Baptiste Lamarck","Konrad Lorenz" etc...

Raccoon

Please Update for Steam Workshop too!  8)

Coercion

This will probably be available on steam.

kaptain_kavern

Update post

Jaguar,White Tiger and Tiger above a Cougar

Hi folks,

So it's been a few days and here is where we're at.

Regarding code, nearly all animals are in (not heavily tested/balanced yet as I just keep adding them in).
I say code because for some I used graphical place-holders , this way Coercion have time to finish drawing all of this (and he even have more works now with the new plants we have planned ^^ ) and I can continue to progress with the code. I'm pretty sure it takes way more time to draw than to code  ::)

Komodo dragon above an Iguana (using the same texture but colored for now)

Peacock above a peahen (using the same texture as Turkey but colored for now)

About the modded biome in itself :
I still have to test/balance it but we have custom weather types for tropical biomes (a little hotter and a lot more wetter ^^) with plant density increased in order to reflect the "forest" in Tropical Forest  :D   The animal density will also be modified to integrate our new animals and balance the ecosystem

2 Squirrel monkeys (the small ones) aside 2 "vanilla" monkeys (using the same texture but colored for now)

Python (the bigger one) aside a "vanilla" cobra (using the same texture but colored for now)

So long all new animals can be carried be "Normal" traders (some are more commons than others, like in Vanilla) but we also have added 2 specific Tropical factions (basically a Tropical "soon-coded-to-be-cannibal" tribes and a "Tropical Caravanners" Faction) - The Pack on the elephant back is originally drawn/released by Skullywag and I hope CoCo will draw something better or at least do it proper (not poorly like me ^^ )

A "Tropical Caravanners" Faction's Caravan

Like I said earlier we also happen to have planned to add more trees/plants to the game. More on this later for now nothing about this is done, codewise.  ;)

PixelArt Toucan (using a free texture from the web for now)

That's all for me today. I'm back to coding

8) Stay tuned 8)

QuoteEverything that looks shit is because of me and that's why I don't do graphics/arts at all - Everything will look way more nicer once all of the animals will be properly drawn by Coercion