[1.0]Rimworld Ore Processing[No Longer supported, check out my new ore mod]

Started by WolfgangPolska, December 07, 2018, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of mine ideas  should I add next?

No need for crafters, ores are now smelted in similar fashion as beer ferments, in primitive smelters or industrial blast furnances
New metals and their alloys
Industrial auto-miners - getting rid of need for manpower
Facilities enhancing mining speed, yield etc.

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: Canute on February 12, 2019, 07:17:17 AM
Quote from: WolfgangPolska on February 12, 2019, 04:09:28 AM
Quote from: temple_wing on February 12, 2019, 01:14:55 AM
Coal has market value of 2, and it cost 40 coal to get 10 steel, and steel has market value of 1.9. Looks like that it need some balancing.
Introducing coal is a trouble thing, it should be able to be used as a fuel. To fuel eg: fueled stove.
Yeah, sure I should patch that today.
Coal are a more effective fuel then wood log, so i think it is a bad idea to use it as fuel for other workbenches like stove. It would be a waste of coal when it get burned down like wood logs.

Coal as fuel for the FueledSmelter, maybe for the Primitive smelter (same problem with the fuel eff.) and remove the wood logs from the FueledSmelter and add a recipe to made coal(charcoal) from wood logs. Or if you want made it realistic use universal fermenter to create a charcoal kiln to turn wood logs into charcoal/coal over time.
Then the recipes from the FueledSmelter don't need coal anymore but keep it at the electric smelter with less amount, since at last steel need carbon to be steel. Not sure about plasteel/uranium.

I tried to modify universal fermenter code to use two resources (ex. steel and coal), and smelt ore that way (like in blast furnace) but I'm concerned about two issues:
1.Coal to steel ratio - How should I determine when smelting begins? Maybe allow to smelt (ferment) only when blast furnace is filled to max with both resources?
2.Refuelable comp - How can I link fuel level from said comp to smelting process? Will ticker stop by itself when facility runs out of fuel?
The charcoal klin might be easier to write tho.
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

WolfgangPolska

HOTFIX IS OUT!

Patch 1.3

-ores are now resources
-reblanced whole mod for that reason
-fixed drying rack spawining no thing due to mistake
-some new textures
-coal can now fuel every Vanilla fuelable(except for campfire and torch duh)

Canute

I didn't suggest to use the universal fermenter to smelt ore, but that an interesting idea for primitive smelting. :-)
Sorry i am not a modder and don't know much how it works.
Fertile Field (i think)  got the mechanic you look for. You build some compost box out of wood logs and raw compost, and this building turn into Fertilizer after some time.
I think the author used the universal fermenter code too, maybe you ask him.

temple_wing

What about introduce coal ore deposit and chunk? Just like iron ore and chunk.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ores should have "deepCommonality" So vanilla drill system can drill ores from underground.
And if ores have "deepCommonality", then I again suggest to make "mining platform" a low tech version of drill system.

"deepCommonality" of vanilla resources should be removed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I suggest to add a recipe to allow smelters to smelt metal slug without coal.
And also other "steel made things"
They're made by steel, so they should be much easier to smelt than ores.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should we crush ores before smelting?
Maybe unnecessarily made it "over implemented", I don't know.
Maybe just rename "smelting" to "processing".
For me myself, I like a crush step, but I don't know whether to have such a step is a good thing or not. Very unlikely.

This mod implemented a ore processing system.
Why people need it? I think it make steel more precious.
So player will think "wow, I have steel now, it's a so excellent material".

WolfgangPolska

Yeah I plan to do that I just need a break from computer for a while.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should be easy to implement then.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orginally I was planning on adding that feature. But I remebered how turning wood logs into planks, to become usable turned off many players, so powdering ores would be unnesecesary step, as it adds nothing but more work to be done, simpliy increascing work needed to process ores will do the same.
My goal when starting this mod was to reimplement Settlers-like economy to rimworld. In case you haven't played this amazing series I will explain shortly. Whole economy (especially in early issues of game )  is focused to produce soldiers. But it is not simple matter. First, colony needs steady supplies of raw materials like wood and stone(for building ofc), then mines have to be placed on  scarce mineral reserves to provide ore, which needs to be smelted using a lot of coal, and then process it further into things like tools for ever-growing settlement. But miners need a lot of food, so you have to provide efficient food production if you want mines to keep operating. I was enticed in this system from the very begining. So I thought: "What if I introduced more complex, yet more rewarding economic challenge in rimworld?",
Introducing ore refining is what I want to start from and expand in other directions of rimworld resource industry.

Canute

did you ever hear/notice Superior Crafting mod ?
Latest retry is at
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40934.0
or the Hardcore SK modpack based on an early version on it.
Superior crafting intruce a very complex crafting system, not onlymetal's like yours or wood like Expanded woodworking

AmS

Hi, i have a little question:

since im also using Expanding Woodworking, i was wondering,
what it takes to make your mod a littly "stuffy" ;)

at the moment i dont mind about diffferent looks, but its a little inconvenient to transfere logs to mixed logs first, before i can build your things,

so i was wondering if it is enough to replace your
<costList>
   <WoodLog>15</WoodLog>
</costList>

with

<stuffCategories>
   <li>Woody</li>
   </stuffCategories>
      <costStuffCount>15</costStuffCount>
</stuffCategories>

or is this thought to simple?

im asking out of couriosity ...

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: AmS on February 18, 2019, 03:29:57 AM
Hi, i have a little question:

since im also using Expanding Woodworking, i was wondering,
what it takes to make your mod a littly "stuffy" ;)

at the moment i dont mind about diffferent looks, but its a little inconvenient to transfere logs to mixed logs first, before i can build your things,

so i was wondering if it is enough to replace your
<costList>
   <WoodLog>15</WoodLog>
</costList>

with

<stuffCategories>
   <li>Woody</li>
   </stuffCategories>
      <costStuffCount>15</costStuffCount>
</stuffCategories>

or is this thought to simple?

im asking out of couriosity ...
yeah, I belive it would work  fine codewise, but the textures may look quite bad, since they were not designed to be stuffed in the first place, but sure, u can go for it. I might consider making them stuffed anyway.

Plasmasloth

Hey, I've just started using mods, including this one, and I'm unsure how to make or get coal? Do you find it on the map or can you like burn trees?

edit: I am getting coal from a mining platform now but If anyone can let me know if there are other ways of getting coal I'd appreciate it.

WolfgangPolska

Quote from: Plasmasloth on February 20, 2019, 05:37:34 PM
Hey, I've just started using mods, including this one, and I'm unsure how to make or get coal? Do you find it on the map or can you like burn trees?

edit: I am getting coal from a mining platform now but If anyone can let me know if there are other ways of getting coal I'd appreciate it.

I plan on adding charcoal, and mineable coal just like in vanilla, but those features are not yet present, currently u can only mine it at mining platform.

WolfgangPolska

New update 1.5v contains major reworks, It is not compatible with savegames with older versions of mod.
Changelog:

Changelog:
-Silver, Steel and gold are now smelted in klins or blast furnaces.(I used Syrchalis Universal fermenter to achieve this, there is a license in mod file.)
-Uranium and plasteel are crafted at advanced refinery.
-Added some buildings that affect mining hole. (Increased yield and workspeed).
-Mining yields decreased.
- Added coal rock resource.
-Mining skill now affects mining yields at mining hole.
-Ores are now mined from deep lumps insted of clear metals.

AmS

Could not find type named UniversalFermenter.CompProperties_UniversalFermenter from node <li Class="UniversalFermenter.CompProperties_UniversalFermenter"><products><li><thingDef>Gold</thingDef><ingredientFilter><thingDefs><li>ChunkGoldOre</li></thingDefs></ingredientFilter><maxCapacity>75</maxCapacity><efficiency>0.5</efficiency><baseFermentationDuration>8430</baseFermentationDuration></li><li><thingDef>Steel</thingDef><ingredientFilter><thingDefs><li>ChunkIronOre</li></thingDefs></ingredientFilter><maxCapacity>75</maxCapacity><efficiency>0.4</efficiency><baseFermentationDuration>8430</baseFermentationDuration></li><li><thingDef>Silver</thingDef><ingredientFilter><thingDefs><li>ChunkSilverOre</li></thingDefs></ingredientFilter><efficiency>0.8</efficiency><maxCapacity>75</maxCapacity><baseFermentationDuration>8000</baseFermentationDuration></li></products></li>
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ClassTypeOf(XmlNode)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ObjectFromXml(XmlNode, Boolean)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ListFromXml(XmlNode)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
Verse.DirectXmlLoader:DefFromNode(XmlNode, LoadableXmlAsset)
Verse.LoadedModManager:ParseAndProcessXML(XmlDocument, Dictionary`2)
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadAllActiveMods()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

as far as i can tell, the error originate from the /thingdefs_buildings/smelters.xml,
i get the message from above and an xml-error for both smelter.

do i need another mod? right now i havn't installed the universal fermenter ...

p613697

Quote from: AmS on February 25, 2019, 02:50:28 PM
Could not find type named UniversalFermenter.CompProperties_UniversalFermenter from node <li Class="UniversalFermenter.CompProperties_UniversalFermenter"><products><li><thingDef>Gold</thingDef><ingredientFilter><thingDefs><li>ChunkGoldOre</li></thingDefs></ingredientFilter><maxCapacity>75</maxCapacity><efficiency>0.5</efficiency><baseFermentationDuration>8430</baseFermentationDuration></li><li><thingDef>Steel</thingDef><ingredientFilter><thingDefs><li>ChunkIronOre</li></thingDefs></ingredientFilter><maxCapacity>75</maxCapacity><efficiency>0.4</efficiency><baseFermentationDuration>8430</baseFermentationDuration></li><li><thingDef>Silver</thingDef><ingredientFilter><thingDefs><li>ChunkSilverOre</li></thingDefs></ingredientFilter><efficiency>0.8</efficiency><maxCapacity>75</maxCapacity><baseFermentationDuration>8000</baseFermentationDuration></li></products></li>
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ClassTypeOf(XmlNode)
Verse.DirectXmlToObject:ListFromXml(XmlNode)
Verse.DirectXmlLoader:DefFromNode(XmlNode, LoadableXmlAsset)
Verse.LoadedModManager:ParseAndProcessXML(XmlDocument, Dictionary`2)
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadAllActiveMods()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

as far as i can tell, the error originate from the /thingdefs_buildings/smelters.xml,
i get the message from above and an xml-error for both smelter.

do i need another mod? right now i havn't installed the universal fermenter ...

In /thingdefs_buildings/smelters.xml  change both  <li Class="UniversalFermenter.CompProperties_UniversalFermenter"> entries to  <li Class="UniversalFermenterOre.CompProperties_UniversalFermenter">.

It works for me.

WolfgangPolska

Fixed version is now on github I forgot to push te proper file, sorry for inconvinience.