If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kithros

Ok i got B18 to run on my machine. Basically X11 wasn't using the Intel Drivers so it didnt have access to the OpenGL profile above 2.1. This was because of a Kernel switch in grub.

I removed nomodset from my kernel line and BINGO, everything worked. I even have steam running.

I am running Centos7, so YMMV but it worked for me.

Nukeist

Quote from: kithros on January 12, 2018, 05:50:56 AM
Ok i got B18 to run on my machine. Basically X11 wasn't using the Intel Drivers so it didnt have access to the OpenGL profile above 2.1. This was because of a Kernel switch in grub.

I removed nomodset from my kernel line and BINGO, everything worked. I even have steam running.

I am running Centos7, so YMMV but it worked for me.

kernel line meaning /etc/default/grub? if so i dont have nomodeset there.

also where is the log file? not seeing it

kithros

Im pretty sure any modern linux is using grub2 and it would located here:

[root@JRoLaptop grub2]# ls -lah
total 32K
drwx------. 5 root root   97 Jan 11 11:14 .
dr-xr-xr-x. 5 root root 4.0K Jan 11 11:14 ..
-rw-rw-r--. 1 root root   64 Jan 11 01:59 device.map
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root   25 Jan 11 01:59 fonts
-rw-rw-r--. 1 root root 5.0K Jan 12 04:42 grub.cfg
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root   28 Jan 11 11:11 grubenv -> /boot/efi/EFI/centos/grubenv
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 8.0K Jan 11 01:59 i386-pc
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4.0K Jan 11 01:59 locale
[root@JRoLaptop grub2]# pwd
/boot/grub2

Log file is located at:

/tmp/rimworld_log
[code]

Nukeist

Ok i found the log file and checked opengl version. It is 2.1 and unable to be upgraded. This is most likely the issue. Looks like another +1 for qemu/kvm over virtual box. Thanks for the help :D.

maximente

hey fellow linux users, wondering if  you can help me..

running Arch Linux. tried w/ and w/o `-force-opengl` as well as `jemalloc` and the `LD_SOFTWARE` flag from page 1. no luck. always a black screen. always have to `kill -9` the process to get my window manager back.

latest log: https://pastebin.com/L9pw6zFb

kithros

Quote from: maximente on January 21, 2018, 01:01:34 PM
hey fellow linux users, wondering if  you can help me..

running Arch Linux. tried w/ and w/o `-force-opengl` as well as `jemalloc` and the `LD_SOFTWARE` flag from page 1. no luck. always a black screen. always have to `kill -9` the process to get my window manager back.

latest log: https://pastebin.com/L9pw6zFb

I'll take a look overnight, if I remember. Ill see if I can get mine working on arch. I vaguely remember having the same problem the first time I launched on Arch.

Farflame

Is this still the correct location for this topic?

I last played Rimworld about 2 weeks ago and it was fine. I had 4 mods installed, although only 2 active. I tried to load it up today and I get the black screen (I see the planet loading screen for about 1/2 second and then it goes black).

I've tried everything on the front page. Have unsubscribed from all mods, deleted the game and all folders, ran the registry program, rebooted, re-installed, it's still the same.

All other Steam games are working as normal.

What's the next step?

EDIT : Installing on a different drive fixed it. I would like it on my main drive but this works for now.

deacon151

Hello,

I am having an issue with rimworld on steam. Everytime I attempt to start the game it immediately crashes.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game on multiple drives, deleted files, etc. Nothing has
Worked unfortunately.

It says a folder named 2018-05-04_074510 next to game executable

Hope this helps.

Canute

Without the an error log it is hard to say why the game crash.
Check point 6. from
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
Did you update your video driver shortly ?

Fingolfin

Hi,
I run Debian and am only able to launch the game using "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1", which makes the game slow, ugly and quite unplayable. If I do not prepend my command with this, the game crashes on launch. If it's any help, I was able to launch the game only with "-force-opengl" in the previous version, the crashes started in B18.

Fingolfin

It works. After asking around in a Debian forum I was able to install bumblebee and primus to use my graphics card correctly and am now able to play by launching the game with optirun.

fermural artery

I've just bought Rimworld off of steam. I'm having this issue too. initially game would open and music would play but no window would appear. After following all advice on this forum I have managed to get window to open but I am left with a lack screen. Please help, I am not particularly tech savy.

[attachment deleted due to age]

SansMasterBudaa :3

Quote from: Tynan on July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM
Getting a black screen on startup, or the game won't run properly? Try these steps!

1. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operation system):

Windows        C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread
MacUsers/[username]/library/Application Support/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
Users/[username]/library/Caches/RimWorld/Config
Linux/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config

2. Your RimWorld install itself may be corrupted somehow.
-If you're not on Steam:
  A: Delete the entire RimWorld install folder.
  B: Re-install the game from a newly downloaded zip file as described in this thread.

-If you're on Steam:
  A: Unsubscribe from all mods in the Workshop.
  B: In Steam library, right-click RimWorld and select Uninstall.
  C: Shut down Steam.
  D: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
  E: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
  F: Restart your PC.
  G: Open Steam, Install RimWorld, and play.

3. Disable virus protection programs (they occasionally flag RimWorld as a virus and kill it, since it was downloaded from the Internet).

4. [Windows only] Download and run Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg (right click the link and use Save Target As) and double-click it to delete all registry entries related to RimWorld.

5. [Mac DRM-free only] Re-extract the game with the default .zip extractor program. Other programs often extract the files with heavy permission restrictions, which prevents the game from running. (if you know how, you can also chmod 644 the whole install folder).

6. [DRM-free only] Make sure you didn't install the game on a path with special characters, like #, $ or accented letters. Try installing in C:/RimWorld or another simple directory.

7. [Linux only, glibc 2.25] It seems that glibc again has broken compatibility with several software packages including Unity.  See how to fix that problem here: https://ctrl.blog/entry/glibc225-unity-black-screen
Thanks goes to kallisti5 for the tip!

8. [Linux only] Run the game with "-force-opengl". This seems to make it run on OpenGL 2.0+ (Seems to work without it on OpenGL 3.2+)

9. [Linux only] Run the game (prefixed) with "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1" to force software rendering. It will be poor and performance and not ideal, but may run where the game doesn't otherwise.

10. Install on another drive (this has worked for users who were having issues on Steam).

11. If you have Hamachi installed, disable it's virtual network adapter or uninstall Hamachi.

12. (Windows 10/8/8.1 only) Try restarting your computer with the Restart button, rather than the Shutdown button in the Start Menu.

13. Running Windows 10 and just updated to the Fall Creators Update? Please see this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/1489992713701469592/

14. You may need to reinstall your graphics card drivers. We recommend downloading the latest graphics card drivers from your computer manufacturers website.

Greetings to all, for storage problems on my pc moved the locallow folder to an external hard drive, which was the saves and configuration of the rimworld and when I had no more space problems I decided to return to the place locallow folder and run rimworld I get black in the window of the game
any solution?
try the solutions that you put and it does not work: /
pd: is the version a17-b18, my os is windows 10 and is non steam

Coolboy68

So I just bought and installed rimworld via steam but the game crashes when I try to run it.
I tried deleting the config files and re-installing it.

Here's my error log

https://pastebin.com/Ni4tXXur

mungoman

Hi, getting a crash on startup, posted in bugs but going to add a link here incase anyone can help