[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

Quote from: MikeNew on February 17, 2017, 03:53:10 AM
Does it exist mod like EdB Prepare Carefully and Verify Start, but:
1. More customizable than Verify Start?
2. Do not cheat like EdB Prepare Carefully?

I'm confused you can't use points? Or can't control yourself? Every time I see comments like this both on the workshop, and here it always gets me slightly annoyed and confused. All you have to do is not give your people overpowered items.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Dragoon on February 18, 2017, 10:02:39 AM
I'm confused you can't use points? Or can't control yourself?

When using Prepare Carefully I like to give myself purchase costs to make it entertaining. So I made some rules for my starting team:

• Everyone starts with level-5 skills across the board
  • Everyone gets one level-10 skill
  • Everyone gets two level-8 skills
  • Everyone takes one level-3 skill
  • Everyone gets one favorite skill buff
  • Everyone gets three competent skill buffs
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Hydromancerx

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 19, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

When using Prepare Carefully I like to give myself purchase costs to make it entertaining. So I made some rules for my starting team:

Interesting set up. I do this ...

• Add or subtract points based on Traits and/or Background
  • If a skill would be less than 0 they still get 0
  • All skills over 5 get 1 "fire"
  • The highest skill gets 2 "fire"
  • If more than one highest skills are the same they all get 2 "fire"
  • If it fits better to have a lower skill as 2 "fire" then you can give up all highest skills for that skill instead. But the skill must be over 5.

Teutorix

Im just wondering if its possible to assign points values to the traits, otherwise there is no incentive to use bad traits with the points based system except for flavour. Eg. beautiful should be 100 points, pretty 50 points, ugly -50 and staggeringly ugly -100.

Is there some technical barrier to this? if not i would like to see it implemented.

l159328

Quote from: just-a-bird on January 17, 2017, 03:56:10 PM
Hi, I keep getting a bug every so often where I start a new game and my pawns never spawn. I originally posted about it in the Psychology mod's thread, because I thought it was a conflict, but according to the author it seems to be a problem internal to Prepare Carefully.

im having the same problem as you are, everytime i start the mission where the pods starts dropping some of my colony members start randomly disappears or should i say they pop like a balloon and disappears, im using a customized 10people in my colony. and i already tried retrying and retrying but the problem still persists lol. using RimWorld A16 and the latest mod version.

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Hydromancerx on February 19, 2017, 09:44:05 AM
Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 19, 2017, 12:01:58 AM

Interesting set up. I do this ...

• Add or subtract points based on Traits and/or Background
  • If a skill would be less than 0 they still get 0
  • All skills over 5 get 1 "fire"
  • The highest skill gets 2 "fire"
  • If more than one highest skills are the same they all get 2 "fire"
  • If it fits better to have a lower skill as 2 "fire" then you can give up all highest skills for that skill instead. But the skill must be over 5.

Well, my rules are these:

Clear everything. Extrapoints and passions.
Set childhood and adulthood backstories.
Add skill points based on age. (Not the age that goes upto 1000, the other one!)

Example I have a 25 years old lad, I distribute 25 free points in his skill board. Then I give double fire to his highest and single fire to whatever is 2nd highest.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Arnold Rimmer

Quote from: afairris on February 02, 2017, 06:28:23 PM
Hi EdB!
I'm sorry about this, Every time I try to load the mod, I get a big list of XML exceptions and the game won't run. I'm running A16, a fresh download of the mod from drop box and it's running on a Mac. This happens with several different mods, but not all, and the one I'm most interested in is yours. 
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could I get a hand? Also, my player.log file is too large to attach. Is there another way for me to attach it or get it to you?

Same here. De-installed my steamversion, deleted any left-overs, re-installed,
downloaded the latest EDB Prepare Carefully version and each time i press the
"prepare carefully" button, i get errors about RW not being able to create the EDB PC-menus.
I can press "OK" and play the game normally, but that's it.

Meaning, in my view at least, Rimporld is again unplayable with
that ridicoulus randomized system. Such should not be in a proclaimed
Colony "Simulator" as in a simulation one -should- be able to define
quite precisely what things/people/properties are present.

Additionally, no posts from EDB since 2 full months!
So... is this mod dead perhaps?
[Insert combination of words here]

switchface

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BXvPB7_jC0IYXsJAEBt-FgcpDzW2s91dCCPKFBxYUo/edit?usp=sharing

In case anyone wants a table of the backstories in Prepare Carefully, I made this.  I was tired of wanting to make "the best cook/constructor/whatever" combination and having to look through the 500+ backstories just to get an okay version.  This makes it so you can optimize however you like.

AngleWyrm

Suggestion
A filter button in the backstory pickers that filters by faction eligibility.

If I'm making a crash-landing of 3 guys from space, I'd like to filter out all those tribal medieval knight backstories. Or maybe I'd like to create a Healer/Rogue/Mage and don't need to hear about space mining.

Simstu

Hello, I'm from Czech Republic, so sorry for the grammar. I wanted to ask. Can I put a saved colonist into an existing game? If I can, how? Thanks for answer.

DanielCoffey

Just a quick heads up... Tynan has said that the "Incapable of... Scary" will be removed from A17 as it no longer has meaning.

Source : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31508.0
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

daman2501

Quote from: Simstu on March 31, 2017, 01:14:49 PM
Hello, I'm from Czech Republic, so sorry for the grammar. I wanted to ask. Can I put a saved colonist into an existing game? If I can, how? Thanks for answer.

you can`t, sorry
YOU`RE DA-MAN!!!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Simstu on March 31, 2017, 01:14:49 PM
Can I put a saved colonist into an existing game? If I can, how?

You can do something similar with Rainbeau's Editable Backstories mod. With it you can define a character name, childhood and adulthood backstories as a package deal.

Then you might meet the person you created, and they will have all the skill buffs and nerfs, and all the work prerequisites and disables, and all the traits that you gave them with their backstories.

EdB

Just a quick mod update: I got motivated, and I'm working on a new version of the mod to try to address some of the most frequently asked questions and requested features.

Some of things that I'm going to do:

• Reorganize the user interface
  • Remove the limit on the number of colonists.
  • Enable the naming of pets and choosing which colonists to bond them to.
  • Fix problems when spawning very large numbers of resources and equipment.
  • Fix problems when creating lots of relationships.
  • Other bug fixes.

Some of the things that I'm looking at, but I'm not sure if I can do them yet:

• Trying to add the ability to add characters from other factions to the colony (to better support humanoid alien mods)
  • Looking at how feasible it would be to customize characters in other factions or customize the characters that will later join your colony, i.e. customize a pawn and add it to one of the pirate factions with the hope that they will show up in a raid later.  I think this one is pretty unlikely, but I see this request a lot, so I'm looking into it.
  • More filtering options available on the equipment screen: filter by material, search, etc.
  • Choose the quality of apparel and furniture
  • Evaluating the impact of allowing more than 3 colonist traits (allow just 4 since that vanilla UI supports that many, or no limit to how many--even though you won't be able to see them in the vanilla UI.  I don't really want to make changes to the vanilla gameplay UI).
  • Better support for mods that add visual layers to pawn (i.e. the Facial Stuff mod).  There isn't an easy way to support these types of mods without writing code specific for each of them, but I'm evaluating how much effort it would be to do so.

Things that I've ruled out and am not going to add.  These are requested frequently, but I'm not going to do them:

• The ability to customize characters during gameplay, i.e. a cheat interface that you can bring up once the game has started.
  • The ability to load saved characters once gameplay has started.

Below is a preview of the new user interface.  The biggest difference is that the character list is no longer a set of tabs at the top of the page, but is now a scrolling list on the right.  The character name tabs really didn't work once you got to more than about 10 colonists.  The tabs at the top are now used to switch between the different customization screens (there are two new customization screens).  It's different, and it will probably take some getting used to if you're a long-time user of the mod, but I'm liking it better than the old UI.

There's lots of work to do, so it definitely won't be ready until when alpha 17 is released--and maybe later if alpha 17 ends up arriving soon.

AngleWyrm

Looks great!

This is one of my must-have mods.

Suggestion
When looking up backstories, the current system either displays or doesn't display them according to meeting the various prerequisites. Appropriate, but figuring out why a given story doesn't appear, or what it takes to make it appear is daunting from the player's perspective.

Is it do-able to have all stories appear but be greyed out when unavailable, with a tool-tip indicating why?