[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: Vas on November 19, 2014, 11:09:58 PM
I'd like another option on this.  Per Colonist Points.  So you can disable "Use Points" (Renamed to Global Points), and enable "Per Colonist Points"...

I appreciate the extensive write-up.  It's an interesting suggestion.  It's possible that I might add some additional information so that you can see the breakdown of where points are spent--i.e. how much on each colonist and how much on equipment.  Hopefully, this would allow you to use the mod the way that you want to.  I'm not sure that I would add the options to have hard limits.  I worry about the additional UI that would go with this--lots of checkboxes, no great way to explain what each one does, etc.

EdB

Quote from: mastergub on November 22, 2014, 04:22:26 AM
...The wiki is not up to date regarding Backstories...
Would it be possible to get it...

I included an attachment in an earlier post that has an XML file with all of the backstories in it:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.msg74618#msg74618

Unfortunately, the forums are having issues with attachments right now, so trying to download it causes an error.  Hopefully that will be fixed soon, but I think that file has all of the information that you would need.

Vas

Quote from: EdB on November 22, 2014, 12:20:24 PMI'm not sure that I would add the options to have hard limits.  I worry about the additional UI that would go with this--lots of checkboxes, no great way to explain what each one does, etc.

Hovering tooltips? :P  Help button with popup UI screen?  Kinda like the info button does in the mod load order mod.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

mastergub

Quote from: EdB on November 22, 2014, 12:23:58 PM
Quote from: mastergub on November 22, 2014, 04:22:26 AM
...The wiki is not up to date regarding Backstories...
Would it be possible to get it...

I included an attachment in an earlier post that has an XML file with all of the backstories in it:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.msg74618#msg74618

Unfortunately, the forums are having issues with attachments right now, so trying to download it causes an error.  Hopefully that will be fixed soon, but I think that file has all of the information that you would need.

Great ! Got it !
Will work on that, thanks.

Nommy

Quote from: Vas on November 10, 2014, 01:47:08 PM...I'd like to have a spreadsheet with the descriptions and effects of each trait and childhood and stuff.

I've posted the backstory lists and an excel spreadsheet which can import the xml to a usable format here.

I didn't put the long descriptions in, but if you still want that it would be simple to add, just let me know.

mastergub

I notice some duplicate rows, such as "Assassin", "Bounty hunter", "Mercenary", "Space marine" & "Test subject".
And "Abondoned child" a childhood backstory as well as an adulthood backstory.

Is that normal/desired ?

EdB

Quote from: mastergub on November 23, 2014, 04:26:25 PM
I notice some duplicate rows, such as "Assassin", "Bounty hunter", "Mercenary", "Space marine" & "Test subject".
And "Abondoned child" a childhood backstory as well as an adulthood backstory.

Is that normal/desired ?

Yes, this is normal.  You'll notice that the duplicates have different descriptions and skills.  Often the childhood and adulthood backstories are meant to be tied to a specific unique character--mixing and matching them via the mod isn't really how they're meant to be combined.

DorgoDorato

I can not properly start an A8 colony until I can cheat frivolously!

thefinn

Quote from: DorgoDorato on December 10, 2014, 08:49:14 PM
I can not properly start an A8 colony until I can cheat frivolously!

I concur, it is unacceptable!

Actually, I find it more unplayable without the interface one lol

I just played a bit and was like "wtf?" - I forgot how much that mod changed things.

Igabod

Quote from: Montag on December 11, 2014, 12:11:02 AM
DELIVER US TO TO ALPHA 8 EdB!

You gotta give him a few days at least. This isn't just a simple XML mod like one of mine or something. And he might have a real life possibly too.

keylocke

i hope prepare carefully mod becomes part of vanilla someday. it's practically the first mod i always look for..

other mods, i just test it out once or twice in different playthroughs and then turn them off. but
after i tested this mod out, every new game i play in rimworld always have prep carefully mod turned on.  ;D

Argain

Props for figuring out how to mod the CharPage! It was something that had completely baffled me into giving up on the Colonist Creation Mod after Tynan removed access to the 'colonistgen' class in the BaseMapGenerators.xml... and I must admit, you did a way better job than I ever did XD This deserves to be integrated into the game!

Argain

Quote from: EdB on September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM
It turns out that a colonist's body type is directly tied to the colonist's adult backstory.  You cannot change them independently--this is a limitation of the game for which I could not find an acceptable workaround.  Change your colonist's backstory to change their body type.

There was a workaround I had found for CCM... don't know if you would consider it 'acceptable', but here's how I was pulling it off: limit the available backstories to only what matches the body type, and when the body type is changed you just reload the list. The downside is that it kinda forces the player to prioritize setting the body type first before changing the backstory, since the backstory has to change every time the body type does. Wasn't too much backlash or confusion from it, though, if I remember correctly :)