I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Apparently:

you can apply and remove peg legs from prisoners to train doctoring.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on March 27, 2016, 04:03:16 PM
I've never noticed this before because I usually like to build in the center of the map, but I've found that when a raid breaks and flees it will head straight towards the nearest edge of the map even if the path is very dangerous, or if there are plenty of player-built structures between the raiders and the map edge. In my long-term game for the latest build, I got six prisoners from the most recent raid due to this behavior. Very exploitable.

As I did in my mega fort.  Thats why i set the main door right at the edge. 

The best solution I can think of is that they flee in the direction of the edge they spawned at.  In the case of a drop pod attack, maybe a random edge instead of nearest.  Either method is better than trying to flee right past all my turrets.

Coenmcj

Quote from: skullywag on March 29, 2016, 08:27:14 AM
Apparently:

you can apply and remove peg legs from prisoners to train doctoring.

You could probably do the same with Dentures, no? And likewise every other prosthetic, although dentures and peg legs are a lot cheaper should the patient die!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

mumblemumble

Using personal shields on people dodging in / out of cover to draw fire while others shoot the targets.

Using 2 doors on manhunting animals,  firing 1 pistol / pdw shot before closing the door.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Renham

I think bug should constantly attack your colony and try to break through walls or equipment if necesary to harvest at least one colonist, make it so they have to go al the way and carry a corpse back to create more food not be just a thing that show up from nothing.
and the size of the swarm should increase constantly like for instance first just small bugs then something like a couple of medium sized pests and then something like a behemoth like monster.

make it painful and a deadly threat if not managed properly.
I think it would be great to make a jelly factory but be a real difficult thing
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

Tynan

Renham, suggestions are welcome but please open a new thread. This thread is only for calling out exploit strategies.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ciditi

Quote from: ZestyLemons on March 22, 2016, 10:02:49 PM
Here's a tiny doozy for you, Tynan: https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=2295

(for the lazy: Euthanizing colonists gives colonists less negative thoughts than letting them starve to death)

Could the negative thoughts with euthanizing colonists/prisoners be reduced if that unit has suffered a terminal injury, like brain damage, or if they're permanently unconscious for some other reason?
Or maybe some random counter buff like people being relieved that the suffering has stopped?  Might open this up to other exploitation though, like forcing some LVL 1 doctor to perform some ill fated surgery...

falcongrey

Quote from: ciditi on March 29, 2016, 01:44:10 PM
Quote from: ZestyLemons on March 22, 2016, 10:02:49 PM
Here's a tiny doozy for you, Tynan: https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=2295

(for the lazy: Euthanizing colonists gives colonists less negative thoughts than letting them starve to death)

Could the negative thoughts with euthanizing colonists/prisoners be reduced if that unit has suffered a terminal injury, like brain damage, or if they're permanently unconscious for some other reason?
Or maybe some random counter buff like people being relieved that the suffering has stopped?  Might open this up to other exploitation though, like forcing some LVL 1 doctor to perform some ill fated surgery...

While euthanizing someone should be a negative hit, I feel it should have less impact that say watching your friend die while a raider attack goes on. I also feel it should be more situational. If there is a chance someone can live if the life support is left on until a new heart is found, it should be harder to take than say someone who was brain dead and there was no hope because they were already gone.

But going back to the exploit of someone starving in a locked room... While this is a game, I think this exploit is kind of a reflection of society in general if you look at history. Historically, not much has changed to address starvation and the thousands that die per day in the U.S. alone compared to back in the times of Rome over a thousand years ago. People in general will find ways to 'excuse' them self from attachment of that person having starved to death (it was so and so's responsibility / I did and gave all I could but I had problems too) compared to giving permission to take someone's life after everything had been exhausted to save it.

Non-the less... perhaps set it up that if a colonist starves to death and no one else is starving a major hit on the colony is taken to address the game exploit?
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

mumblemumble

Sorry if this a bit late, but locking visitor pawns inside inescapable rooms (just walls, no doors). They are trapped, cannot escape, and eventually starve to death without even trying to bash down a wall.

Its an extremely easy, if tedious way to get loot at the start, just wait a few nights till the food goes away that they brought, eventually they will kill each other out of stress, then once everything is said and done, open the vault up and claim the gear, all without the faction minding. You can also speed this up with heaters / freezers to cook / chill them.

Granted this takes a WHILE, particularly with the fact they bring multiple meals, but you can really, really exploit this, for free equipment, and many other things.

I think if a pawn is in danger (starvation, heat, cold, ect) and has no way to escape the map, they should make a way themselves, perhaps even resulting in a very small drop in goodwill.

I also noticed, locked in the tiny room, the pawn did not even consume all her carried meals before collapsing from starvation.

These were tested in 13.1130
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

falcongrey

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 01, 2016, 07:13:07 PM
Sorry if this a bit late, but locking visitor pawns inside inescapable rooms (just walls, no doors). They are trapped, cannot escape, and eventually starve to death without even trying to bash down a wall.

Its an extremely easy, if tedious way to get loot at the start, just wait a few nights till the food goes away that they brought, eventually they will kill each other out of stress, then once everything is said and done, open the vault up and claim the gear, all without the faction minding. You can also speed this up with heaters / freezers to cook / chill them.

Granted this takes a WHILE, particularly with the fact they bring multiple meals, but you can really, really exploit this, for free equipment, and many other things.

I think if a pawn is in danger (starvation, heat, cold, ect) and has no way to escape the map, they should make a way themselves, perhaps even resulting in a very small drop in goodwill.

I also noticed, locked in the tiny room, the pawn did not even consume all her carried meals before collapsing from starvation.

These were tested in 13.1130

I actually JUST tried to do this, granted I DID make a door, and the pawns after a while attempted to bash the door down once one or more went bonkers from stress.  Same build, 0.13.1130.

mumblemumble

I said in my post, NO DOOR specifically. if its just solid walls, they just give up, and submit to their fate.

And someone who is doing this kind of exploit won't care about not having a door.

Oh also, this works to farm goodwill easily, by rescuing them, despite inflicting it upon them.

-----

falcongrey

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 01, 2016, 07:24:00 PM
I said in my post, NO DOOR specifically. if its just solid walls, they just give up, and submit to their fate.

And someone who is doing this kind of exploit won't care about not having a door.

Oh also, this works to farm goodwill easily, by rescuing them, despite inflicting it upon them.

Ahh my bad. I missed the 'no door' part.  :-[

Nightwolf

An exploit that I've made use of time and time again regards the executed prisoner debuff.  When I want to execute a prisoner I don't use the execute prisoner option because that results in the executed prisoner debuff.  So what I do is I bring in one of my colonists with a gun and use the forced fire option (with B) to shoot at the prisoner until hes dead.  When all is said and done the prisoner is executed with no debuff other than the "witnessed strangers death" for -3, which is a far lighter consequence.

psilous

Quote from: Tynan on March 21, 2016, 05:28:32 PM
Wouldn't solve it; I can set it up so that colonist have to go and manually remove the roof, though.
Yea. this would be a really good solution for something that I think doesn't fit within your current vision.

Darth Fool

Hot swapping bunk.  Have only one non-prisoner, non-medical bunk or sleeping spot per three colonists.  Restrict colonists to sleep in one of three shifts and assign the bunk to them at the beginning of their sleeping shift.  Prevents some buffs like shared bedroom while reducing the number of necessary beds.  Requires a lot of micro-managaing but in a starting colony that is on the edge of neurosis can be worth it.  Many possible ways to deal with this exploit, such as penalizing the loss of ownership.  I would prefer to make hot-swap bunking an actual option amongst the assign category where anyone who needs to sleep takes whatever bunk is available with a slight penalty.