Announcement: Alpha 14 and Steam Release

Started by milon, May 26, 2016, 06:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Nope, this isn't a joke!  It's coming!!

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/05/steam-release-this-summer-with-scenario-system/

Alpha 14, tons of new content, a brand new Scenarios system, and a Steam launch, all headed to you this July!  (Probably. ;) )

EDIT: I read through the comments, and on the topic of Steam Keys, a user that appears to be Tynan said:

Quote from: Tynan SylvesterValve's rule isn't against giving keys to people after the game is out. It is against selling keys before the game is available on Steam.

I am also able to generate all the keys I like. But, as I've been specifically told by Valve, I'm not allowed to sell those keys right now. That's why I don't promise keys.

So, to summarize. Later, I'll be allowed to give keys to everyone. But now, I'm just not allowed to sell those keys, until the Steam release. Note the subtle but important difference.
(https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/05/steam-release-this-summer-with-scenario-system/#comment-140296)

A Friend

Neat.

Here is a list of the editable scenario parts as they are now

- Pawns explode on death

Wait hwat
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

milon

Yup.  Get ready for some awesome artwork requests!  ^_^

I HOPE that's a memorable event that can become immortalized in pawn artwork!  ;D

JimmyAgnt007

Why is my mountain fortress not one of the steam screenshots???!!?  lol jks  Might not have enough time to finish my new fort that ive been neglecting.  Maybe with this new version I will do a massive sprawling open air base. 

Scenarios are fun, will be able to prepare carefully?  Maybe I can start with all my pawns as psychopathic, cannibal, masochists.  Finally!

cultist

I sure hope A14 is going to be rock solid. I'd hate to see this game drown in negative reviews because some small thing isn't working as intended. Years of abuse at the hands of shady devs has made Steam users extremely trigger-happy when it comes to early access games. I'd encourage everyone to post honest reviews of the game when it comes out, just to stem the tide of inevitable joke/troll/spiteful reviews.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: cultist on May 26, 2016, 09:38:10 AM
I sure hope A14 is going to be rock solid. I'd hate to see this game drown in negative reviews because some small thing isn't working as intended. Years of abuse at the hands of shady devs has made Steam users extremely trigger-happy when it comes to early access games. I'd encourage everyone to post honest reviews of the game when it comes out, just to stem the tide of inevitable joke/troll/spiteful reviews.

And upvote the honest reviews.  Keep them at the top to be the first thing people see. 

milon

Urk!  I don't use Steam much at all, and everything I have on my account was gifted (from my older crappy account, or from friends with extra copies).  And accounts haven't spent at least $5 can't post anything.  :P

Travinsky

Uh, we don't have to use Steam right? We can still just download RimWorld updates and play it as usual?

Shinzy

Quote from: Travinsky on May 26, 2016, 10:33:18 AM
Uh, we don't have to use Steam right? We can still just download RimWorld updates and play it as usual?
Yes you can still download and play RW from the sendowl link you have

milon

Right, you don't have to use Steam.  I'm just whining about not being able to post/comment/upvote/etc on Steam.  Don't mind me.  ;)

Headshotkill

All I can say is, congratulations to soon-to-be millionaire Tynan Sylvester, he made a game that will probably blow up steam! ;D

Tynan

Quote from: Headshotkill on May 26, 2016, 01:26:43 PM
All I can say is, congratulations to soon-to-be millionaire Tynan Sylvester, he made a game that will probably blow up steam! ;D

Thank you, I certainly hope so :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Chibiabos

Just remember when you stand astride the smoking, festering corpse of EA, Tynan ... don't be like they were. :P
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Vaporisor

Here is a strange question.  Is there a way that current players (us) can write reviews for pre-release, or is discussions the only way we can share our info?

EDIT:  Perhaps in discussion section you can make a pinned topic for current players to post their pre-release reviews and to discuss the game.  Give a solid baseline for Q and A, as well as experiences for upcoming players.  This way people have a good source of info prior to buying for the maximum positive experience.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

cultist

I'm sorry for repeating myself, but I'm a little worried that everyone seems to be going "yay Steam" and "so much exposure". How many of you actually use Steam regularly and keep an eye on how Early Access games do there? Steam is in many cases a place where Early Access games go to have their dreams broken. I wouldn't say the community is toxic exactly, but like I mentioned earlier many people have been burned so hard/often by Early Access that they will attack any game that shows the slightest signs of dropping in quality or frequency of updates.
This of course ties into the user review system, which is fundamentally broken in the sense that people will often upvote funny/snarky reviews over useful ones, whether or not they even reference the game in any meaningful way. Steam user reviews in general are about as insightful as Youtube comments. It's all about memes and getting upvotes, not about providing a service to other users.

I'm not saying don't put the game on Steam. But do be very careful in how you approach the community, because it will turn on you in a heartbeat as long as the game has the Early Acess stamp.