[1.0] SeedsPlease!

Started by notfood, August 16, 2016, 01:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Quote from: Headshotkill on November 03, 2017, 10:02:51 AMIs there an addon somewhere to gives seeds to vanilla wild crops, such as agave?

My "Wild Cultivation" mod allows many plants which only exist wild in vanilla to be cultivated (and also allows many which can only be cultivated in vanilla to show up in the wild). And it adds seeds (if "Seeds Please!" is in use, of course) for all those newly-cultivatable plants.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Realta

Hi. First off, I absolutely love this mod. It adds a challenge to the game, an added element of difficulty. Thank you!
Secondly, in order to have other plant mods there has to be an addon for compatibility, or can you go in to the def file and add the SeedDef and it work?
I tried to add the SeedDef, but I could have done it wrong. On the other hand, I don't expect there to be a compatibility patch for every little plant mod, and am willing to wave them off in favor of seeds please.
Thank you for your help!
Also thank you Rainbeau for your wonderful mods as well!

codexhound

notfood

B18 release SeedsPlease

I'm working on the addons. Vegetable Garden became like 8 mods...

Canute

notfood back on action ! :-)
But instead to create addons for each plant mod,
the mod should check one startup the availble plants and create seeds for them.
Other mod like

Omni Core Drill
or
Mines - balanced mining
doing a similar thing and allow to mine all the mineable minerals other mods add to the game.

ptx

I like this mod since it solves the problem of growers able to conjure plants out of thin air.
So, thank you for this mod. Any kinds of realism are always welcome.

Even with this mod realism, there is still the 5% initial growth magic.
Plants do not grow from seeds (0%) into seedlings (5%) the moment you plant them.
A grower should germinates seeds to germination trays, growing + crafting job, transforming seeds into seedlings, 0 to 5% growth.
Growers then sow the seedlings on the field, hence the 5% initial growth.
Seedlings should have limited life, perishable, while seeds are storable just like the current system.

Another suggestion, the ability to take cuttings from wild plants, or fruits, or any other plants, and using tissue culture to create seedlings. Some plants do not have seeds, but tissue culture can be used to create the seedling.
Of course cuttings could also be used to make graft to plants. A single plant with multiple produce.

That's my thoughts anyway.  :)

dburgdorf

Quote from: ptx on November 23, 2017, 08:47:24 AMEven with this mod realism, there is still the 5% initial growth magic.... Some plants do not have seeds....

I don't know how notfood feels about it, but these are points where I think the necessary abstraction of a game like RimWorld takes precedence over realism.

Having actual seeds for some plants, and bulbs for others, and cuttings for still others, etc., really wouldn't (to my mind) add much to the game beyond what the abstracted "seeds" of the mod already offer.  It would just become a pointless layer of complexity.  (And besides, who knows?  Maybe a few thousand years from now, mankind will have genetically altered every available plant so they *do* all actually grow from seeds.)  :D

As to the "instant saplings" thing, first, obviously, the time frame for many things in the game is sped up, anyway. But perhaps more importantly, I suspect it's also a matter of convenience. Having saplings appear the moment a plant is sown makes it immediately visually apparent that a tile is in use and what's being grown there.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

ptx

Quote from: dburgdorf on November 23, 2017, 09:28:02 AM
...these are points where I think the necessary abstraction of a game like RimWorld takes precedence over realism.

Sure, since my sniper can shoot a raider's head from 45 tiles away, but can't shoot a downed animal in front of him (unless modded). Sure, abstraction over realism. Why not.   ::)

So, these seeds would actually be fruit-seeds, which contains enormous amount of growth hormone to enable the initial growth spurt.
But, that would lead to another problem. The plant would absorbs large amount of soil nutrients. The soil's fertility would decrease. Overtime, the planet would become a desolate desert planet, without any forest.
Unless, there is a natural cycle to replenish the nutrient.
So, this game needs worms. Lots of it. Or a large one.  ;D
But then, some animals would adapt to eat the worms, instead of grass. IRL, Chicken rarely eats grass.

Since there are no worms, or periodic fertilizing, so I guess it's still magic. That would someway explains the psychic events.

Unrelated to this mod, regarding your bridge. Could you please make raiders not go after it.
Your bridge would be their first target, only some raiders would go after my colony front gate.
Thanks dburgdorf!  :)

bigheadzach

Not so much a bug report but a question of compatibility: until the SeedsPlease VG Addon is updated to B18, will VG crops be sowable by skillreqs alone? I'm a tiny bit hesitant to get the addon for fear that Rainbeau's Wild Cultivation will not see fit to randomly gift me wild versions of the tier-locked crops (or a trader that sells them or the seeds).

Or am I overthinking this?

notfood

Check github, the VG addon has been merged into the base mod. It will dynamically load the addons if they are detected by the patch system.

B18 SeedsPlease dev It's on steam too.

dburgdorf

Quote from: bigheadzach on November 24, 2017, 05:06:00 PMI'm a tiny bit hesitant to get the addon for fear that Rainbeau's Wild Cultivation will not see fit to randomly gift me wild versions of the tier-locked crops....

I don't know how/if VG affects what's available from traders, but I can tell you that the presence or absence of VG in your mod list has no bearing on whether or not "Wild Cultivation" will put various crops on your map. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Realta

I'm loving the new seed textures.

Is there any way to set up the mod to auto detect plantable type things and generate seeds for them? There are other plant mods i would like to try, but I don't want anyone to have to go through the trouble to make some special seed addon for each fancy new mod that comes along.

Thank you!

notfood

I think so, the issue is the names, there is no standard. Tell me which plant mods you have in mind and I'll do what I can.

Realta

Ah, I didn't realize there was no standard naming system. The two I was interested in were:

Xeo's Genetically Engineered Plants: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36913.msg378064#msg378064

And never mind on the second one. I'm a big dum dum and never realized it was a part of vegetable garden until now o.o (it was the metal plant mod)

Thank you!