Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Quote from: SyberSmoke on April 17, 2017, 03:18:57 PM
But I do hope that in the future you spectacular people can take a good long look at storing things?  I mean the racks are kind of meh...I mean something like that should be capable of say storing 6 pistols a side, 4 Survival Rifles, a bunch of shirts, and so on.  But they can store one item a side...kind of sad.

Abandon all hope.

Ragnarok

Dang. More awsomeness for RimWorld.

Rivers sounds like it could be interesting with some additions. Bridges, fishing, being able to dig your own trench to redirect water into your own man-made river, lake, or moat surrounding your castle/town. Climate being able to affect it would also be kinda neat, from flash floods after rain storms, poisoned water for a few days/weeks after toxic fallout or volcanic ash, frozen rivers in winter or dried up river beds during an intense summer or drought. Water would also be nice to have as a required resource (like food) for colonists, animals, and crops, and more than one way to gather water, like rivers or lakes, well, condensation contraption, desalinization, etc (some would require researching). Maybe localized events near water sources such as mosquito swarm or rampaging alligators so you'd need to weigh up proximity to water based on assorted benefits and dangers.

Changes to animal farming sound nice. I never used animal farming before because it was too complicated for too little reward. It was easier to just hunt animals for meat. Actually I like all the changes to food production Tynan mentioned (crops, hunting, foraging, animal farming).

Those incident quest mission things sound interesting and would give me a reason to actually build caravans and go exploring. Nice work getting something in place that gives players a reason to explore. Even though I've made like one caravan so far this is one of the features I'm looking forward to so I've got a good reason to actually use the caravan and explore the map features.

Self healing has been much needed. When I read it my first thought was self brain surgery, which in RimWorld could honestly possibly happen. You've long been able to remove someones eye and spleen when trying to remove their leg, so why not self brain surgery? However it's more likely as other people have mentioned being self healing of wounds and not surgery. Oh well.

There might not be much focus in A17 cause of all the other features being added/upgraded, but more 'stuff' would be nice. More looks for statues, more floors, more furniture to improve rooms or for certain functions, more production types/trains or whatever its called where you need to produce something to produce something else needed to build something else, more crops and general food options. And more/better storage options would be really nice for more space efficient ways to store food, clothing, weapons, etc. Just having everything dumped on the floor as a stack or a single item takes up heaps of space. Can we get a shoe rack? Gun rack? Texan gun rack? Vacuum storage bags? (would work for clothes or smokeweed) A closet/wardrobe? Good Sammy's bin? Big ass electronic white goods freezer you can put in (or out) of your regular floor freezer? I'd like to see items that we can research or just build straight away (depending on item) that can greatly improve storage space. I'd much prefer to store 500 meals in 5 researchable electronic freezers that take up two floor spaces each and can hold 100 meals each instead of taking up 50 floor spaces for a stack of 10 meals each in my floor freezer (I hope my math was right).

Anyways, rock on Tynan, this sounds like another awsome update. Keep up the fantastic work and I'll be sure to play the heck out of RimWorld (again) when A17 finally arrives.

SyberSmoke

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 19, 2017, 02:24:06 AM
Quote from: SyberSmoke on April 17, 2017, 03:18:57 PM
But I do hope that in the future you spectacular people can take a good long look at storing things?  I mean the racks are kind of meh...I mean something like that should be capable of say storing 6 pistols a side, 4 Survival Rifles, a bunch of shirts, and so on.  But they can store one item a side...kind of sad.

Abandon all hope.

Nah, makes sense that in time he would need to look at the storage system.  As he adds more and more that we need, things will get more and more messy and cluttered.  There comes a point in time where storage needs to be looked at and revamped if only to make the mess manageable.

faltonico

Can you tell which mods made it to A17 besides Rimkit? I'm guessing all of ZorbaTHut as well.

b0rsuk

Quote from: SyberSmoke on April 19, 2017, 06:28:04 PM
Nah, makes sense that in time he would need to look at the storage system.  As he adds more and more that we need, things will get more and more messy and cluttered.  There comes a point in time where storage needs to be looked at and revamped if only to make the mess manageable.

He thinks higher storage density would be bad for the game. The same for workbenches that only consume power when used, opportunistic hauling, and a couple of other things.
Maybe he caves in if 80% players use some kind of storage mod. I can see that happening, considering 25% of poll voters play vanilla. I regularly see Reddit posts like "Hi, I'm installing Rimworld, what mods should I be using". The Hivemind thinks Rimworld should be played modded.

canshow

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 20, 2017, 02:33:46 AM

He thinks higher storage density would be bad for the game. The same for workbenches that only consume power when used, opportunistic hauling, and a couple of other things.
Maybe he caves in if 80% players use some kind of storage mod. I can see that happening, considering 25% of poll voters play vanilla. I regularly see Reddit posts like "Hi, I'm installing Rimworld, what mods should I be using". The Hivemind thinks Rimworld should be played modded.
There are already at least 3 mods for stockpiles that provide higher storage density with currently ~90k current subscribers between the three of them. So that's what, 15% of the user base already?

The storage system doesn't need to be high density all the time, but it needs to make sense. The current system has issues because you end up taking a ridiculous amount of space for weapons and apparel. Stockpiles, cabinets, and future containers (like farm silos for vegetables as an example) need to start looking at the volume and weight of items. A 2x1 weapon cabinet/locker should be able to hold a lot more than just 2 pistols, rifles, etc.. Have you ever been inside an armory before? Or even a gun store? In rimworld storing everything from a gun store the size of two classrooms would take at least a thousand cabinets occupying an area of several football fields.

So yes, storage needs to be looked at in a separate update, sooner rather than later preferably.

Good A17 update features though. I hope the modders are quick to adapt.

Greep

Think tynan said earlier:

"I have removed some off-topic posts.

This thread is to discuss the update (and it's fine if there's not that much to say); for open-ended suggestions discussion please hit the Suggestions forum. Thanks."

Just savin' you guys some lost effort typing here :P
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

SpaceDorf

Quote from: canshow on April 20, 2017, 02:14:05 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on April 20, 2017, 02:33:46 AM

There are already at least 3 mods for stockpiles that provide higher storage density with currently ~90k current subscribers between the three of them. So that's what, 15% of the user base already?

The storage system doesn't need to be high density all the time, but it needs to make sense. The current system has issues because you end up taking a ridiculous amount of space for weapons and apparel. Stockpiles, cabinets, and future containers (like farm silos for vegetables as an example) need to start looking at the volume and weight of items. A 2x1 weapon cabinet/locker should be able to hold a lot more than just 2 pistols, rifles, etc.. Have you ever been inside an armory before? Or even a gun store? In rimworld storing everything from a gun store the size of two classrooms would take at least a thousand cabinets occupying an area of several football fields.

So yes, storage needs to be looked at in a separate update, sooner rather than later preferably.

Good A17 update features though. I hope the modders are quick to adapt.

It also takes hours to find that one lightsabre that is still humming somewhere.
constant annoyance leads faster to the dark side than anything else.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

b0rsuk

canshow:
I don't think Rimworld is supposed to make sense. It's firmly space opera, far from science fiction. I think players are supposed to fill in gaps in game logic with their guesses, see patterns and cause-effect chains where there are none.

Without increased storage density, equipment racks have 2 trivial benefits: they negate beauty penalty, and stop outdoor deterioration. The latter is not a problem anymore because 'roof build area' made roofed space trivial to get. Beauty penalty is not a big deal anyway with minimum planning. Those leathers or meat are going to take space somewhere anyway, you may as well make the storage room 5 tiles bigger instead of the workshop.

Don't have high expectations and Rimworld won't disappoint you.

Shinzy

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 20, 2017, 05:31:06 PM
Don't have high expectations and Rimworld won't disappoint you.

ReZpawner

I think we should address Shinzy's mental health here. Are you okay, Shinzy? Why the low expectations? Why are you feeling bad? Why are you holding a weapon? Is it because of the bionic bodyparts? Did Tynan mistreat you? You can talk to us - we're here for you.

faltonico

Offtopic
This forum needs to be updated, i want to spam +1 to Shinzy's post ^

keylocke

while everyone else are having their mental break (berserk, binge, wander, etc..)

shinzy and borsuk would be like :

it's hakuna matata boyos!

Riley4376

I know there was an update posted on February 8th of a look at how memory is handled. "We're also doing a review of how memory is handled, to reduce memory waste that leads to sub-optimal performance or out-of-memory crashes." Will this help people who use quite a few mods to allow for more memory allocation? Great work as always! Thank you for the updates.

Neotic

Quote from: Tynan on April 10, 2017, 08:20:16 PM
Quote from: Edixo on April 10, 2017, 07:57:27 PM
Does this mean that there will be rivers on the individual maps,  and that we can build bridges and such?

Rivers will be in the local maps, yes.

You can't build bridges at the moment; considering that. The rivers are fordable at many places thought.

Could we possible see a new form of power generation with rivers such as watermills that power a generator, dam turbine, etc?
BRAIN-OVERLOAD