[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blitz

Thanks for the hard work in the previous Alphas!

abo1984

First off, thank you so much for the work and time you've put in. Your mod is seriously well done and makes the game so much better.

Second, I've got some time on my hands and would love to help continue this on. If you could post the source that'd be a tremendous help. If not, would you mind if I disassembled it to salvage what's possible? I sorta already took a peek and it's pretty understandable (experienced programmer but no experience with games/Unity...eager to learn though).

Kashipoi

The licence in his latest version says that sort of thing is allowed.

Quote from: Licence.txtThis software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
   claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
   in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
   appreciated but is not required.
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

Lemml

Elixiar

Noo :(. Not even... one... last... update for the steam masses? I need this MOD!

Totally understand though. You have been around doing this for a long time. Just, lol one more update! Please!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Devstorm

Sad. You made some really great mods. Up to you what you want to do, of course, but your work will be highly missed.

skyarkhangel

A12, A13, A14 constantly changing part of code which was hit hard Edb work. Edb did a great job, for all Rimworld.
I think this A14 will be marked as Edb's alpha. Because, Prepare Carefully its a part of biginning in Rimworld scenario system.

Thandamanium

This was my favorite mod.  I had tons of fun, and I will miss the UI

wonutt

Quote from: EdB on September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM
Announcement (15 July 2016)
After much deliberation, I've decided that I will not be updating Prepare Carefully for Alpha 14.

It's been immensely satisfying working on these mods and seeing aspects of them make it into the vanilla game, but it's difficult as a modder to not eventually lose interest and move onto other things.
Will you be handing off prepare carefully to someone interested in continuing this mod? This is what i consider a must have mod.
I appreciate all of the kind words and feedback from what really is a great community and look forward to seeing what's next for this great game.

EdB Prepare Carefully

Customize your RimWorld colonists, choose your gear and prepare carefully for your crash landing.  The mod's point-based system tries to balance things out so that you don't overdo it, but spend your available points on additional colonists, skill points, passions, resources, weapons and apparel.  Or disable the point system and gear up your starting colonists however you like.  Save your setup as a preset so that you can start your game the same way later.

About the latest version
Version 0.13.1.1 is the first release for Alpha 13.  Usually, the first release for a new alpha includes a handful of bugs.  Please report any issues that you have to this forum topic (but first please take a look at the list of frequently asked questions below).

New features in this version:

• You can now customize the relationships between your colonists.
  • You can now customize the injuries that your colonists start out with.
  • The default point system has changed.  You now start out with a number of points that matches the value of your three starting colonists.  Choose the "Fixed Points" option to use the previous system, which gave you a fixed number of 12,000 points.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  Download for Alpha 13
  Prepare Carefully 0.13.1.1 for Alpha 13 (Dropbox)

How to Use
Extract the contents of the zip file into your mods folder.  The mod contents should be in the "Mods/EdBPrepareCarefully" directory, NOT in a "Mods/EdBPrepareCarefully/EdBPrepareCarefully" directory.  Enable the mod from the mods menu.

Once you enable the mod, start a game normally, but click the "Prepare Carefully" button to get started:

Customize your colonists:

Choose your starting resources and gear:

Frequently Asked Questions

I installed the mod, but I don't see the "Prepare Carefully" button.  How do I fix it?
The most common problem that people run into is that they double-extract the mod folder from the zip file.  If the "Prepare Carefully" button is not appearing for you, make sure that you have not ended up with an extra directory inside your mod folder.  The mod contents should be in the "Mods/EdBPrepareCarefully" directory, NOT in a "Mods/EdBPrepareCarefully/EdBPrepareCarefully" directory.

If you have other trouble installing the mod, please look for advice in this thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6223.0

Why can't I make make Colonist A the grandparent of Colonist B?
RimWorld uses something called a "relationship worker" to create relationships between colonists.  The game does not have a worker for every relationship.  It recognizes the relationships when they are created indirectly, but you can't create them directly.  It is possible to mod in new workers to enable the creation of a relationship, but I have not done that.

Something unexpected happened when I added a bunch of relationships.  Why?
See the previous answer about relationship workers.  The workers were not written to handle customizing colonist relationships, so they sometimes do weird things when you try out certain combinations.  I needed to add a custom worker for creating siblings, because the one in the vanilla game just didn't do what I expected in the context of the mod.  I may add customized workers in the future if there are obvious issues with the vanilla ones.

Why can't I add more than 10 colonists?
It's a hard limit in the mod.  I need to re-do the tab UI along the top to support more than 10 colonists.  As it is now, the colonist names start overlapping, getting cut off and just generally becoming difficult to use when you have more than 10.  I will be adding support for more colonists, but you probably won't see it until Alpha 14.

Why don't my saved alpha 12 presets work?
It was difficult to maintain backwards compatibility for this release.  You'll have to recreate them.

Download for Alpha 13
  Prepare Carefully 0.13.1.1 for Alpha 13 (Dropbox)

Other thoughts

• Thanks to everyone who has contributed a translation to the mod: Latta, malejpl, Kvarfax, Rascher and kaptain_kavern.
  • I need to give lots of credit to Argain for his CCM mod, of course. When I saw that CCM was no longer going to be updated, trying something similar felt like a good fit for me, considering the UI-focused mod work that I've been doing.  It's a different implementation and provides some different features, but it's the same idea.
  • I decided to go with an overall point-based system (as opposed to a fixed set of available skill points for each colonist, for example) so that you can trade-off resources and equipment for additional or fewer colonists.
  • The point cost of items and colonists mostly comes from their defined market values with some adjustments for balance.  If an item has no market value defined, you cannot add it to your starting equipment.
  • You can disable the point system.  This gives you the freedom to set up your colonists however you want.
  • Why can't you change a colonist's body type?  This is something that you may notice--you can change the head type and the hair, but not the body type.  It turns out that a colonist's body type is directly tied to the colonist's adult backstory.  You cannot change them independently--this is a limitation of the game for which I could not find an acceptable workaround.  Change your colonist's backstory to change their body type.

Here's a log of the changes that you can find in recent releases if you want more detail:

Version 0.13.1.1 (2016-06-13)

- Switched versioning scheme.
- Added support for Alpha 13.
- Added "Relations" tab to the colonist portrait section.
- Redesigned the "Health" tab.  You can now add injuries to your colonists.
- Added "Implants" and "Furniture" sections to the "Equipment/Resources" page.
- Re-labeled the alternate points option to "Fixed Points".  Fixed points
   is no longer the default.
- Starting points value is now saved with presets to avoid inconsistent
   point values when loading a preset.

Version 1.10.1 (2015-08-22)

- Added support for Alpha 12.
- Added an Animals tab on the Equipment page.
- Added "No Extra Points" option.
- Rebalanced point costs.

Stryker

Quote from: skyarkhangel on July 15, 2016, 05:52:08 PM
A12, A13, A14 constantly changing part of code which was hit hard Edb work. Edb did a great job, for all Rimworld.
I think this A14 will be marked as Edb's alpha. Because, Prepare Carefully its a part of biginning in Rimworld scenario system.
No offense to Ludeon, but EdB PC was superior.

alaestor

Quote from: abo1984 on July 15, 2016, 05:02:57 PM
First off, thank you so much for the work and time you've put in. Your mod is seriously well done and makes the game so much better.

Second, I've got some time on my hands and would love to help continue this on. If you could post the source that'd be a tremendous help. If not, would you mind if I disassembled it to salvage what's possible? I sorta already took a peek and it's pretty understandable (experienced programmer but no experience with games/Unity...eager to learn though).

I'm interested in helping you if we can get our hands on the source (or most of it atleast)
This mod is pretty much the only reason id bother to play this game at all, and the senario system is shit compared to it. I feel like I just wasted my money. So I'm willing to dedicate some time and resources to get it back up and working.

Nattiejim

Quote from: skullywag on July 15, 2016, 02:57:55 PM
...damn

Sad to see this go, EdB you did magic with this mod, hopefully havent seen the last of you either. Good luck buddy.

*looks at code*

hmm....
Thinking of picking this up? It'd be great to see this mod survive for another update!
Hello there! | Creator of the Balancing Act mod

Grynnreaper

Without this mod it will take me forever hitting random to get a husky bald guy with prostophile, mining passion, 30-40 years, etc. I will sorely miss this. Thank you EdB for all the hard work over the years, your mod is what kept me in the game and made it so much better. Imma still play, you understand, but i'll feel the loss of this often. Much luck and love for all your future endeavors!

ShadowGX

Quote from: abo1984 on July 15, 2016, 05:02:57 PM

As someone else said, I'd also be interested in helping if I could. I haven't taken a peek at it yet, but I have a little modding exp from other games. I'm not good at outright writing my own code, but I can tweak current code if I'm pointed in a general direction. I'm hoping this is just as simple as adding a few lines/tweaking what is already there to get it to work. 3: