Frequent Suggestions Topic!

Started by JimmyAgnt007, April 07, 2015, 08:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewgareth

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on April 07, 2015, 08:51:49 AM
Ok, there are a lot of repeat topics on here that show up from time to time.  They get discussed to death and finish.  Then someone else comes along and suggests it again.  Not that they are bad ideas, just that we dont need new discussions on them.  Searching for threads can be tedious if you dont use the same wording as someone else and doesnt always work.  Also some dont bother in the first place. 

So I'm asking if people could post the things that they are tired of seeing suggested.  Also for the link(s) to the discussion as well as any official word received on the topic.  I will try and update this first post with the responses to keep it organized.  Hopefully an official thread will exist at some point and mods can feel free to alter things as they see fit of course.  We do the same thing on the Kerbal Space Program forum and it works most of the time.

List:  (Please provide links if you can find them!)
Multi-core support (Tynan knows this is a thing, stop bringing it up like its a new idea)
Basic Needs Suggestions (Water, toilets, garbage, showers, other mundane activities)
Robotics (Roombas and such for cleaning, posted about quite often)
Multiplayer
Children, Breeding, or Procreation.  (Lots of threads, most recent)
Steam Integration/Support Here and Here
Travel, Expedition & Raids (Going to other maps for whatever reason)
Vehicles
Fog of War and Here
Slaves/Prisoner Workforce
Z-levels (this includes battlements, towers, trenches, tunnels, and other pseudo Z-level stuff)
Animal husbandry/breeding <NOW IN GAME>
Extra playable races/aliens/trans-animals/robots/droids
Water, in general or being utilized as a resources.
Fishing
Backpacks (Holding stuff like meals or junk or whatever) also here
Extra weapon slots. (Melee/Ranged, Primary/Pistol, Whatever/Something Else)
Random landing site <NOW IN GAME>
Post-Rimworld Space Travel (Playing as the ship you launch, taking off to crash/land on another map)
Guards and patrols.  People who stay drafted and unproductive just in case something happens.
Lightning Rod
Cleaning Zones or Areas (Good idea just no new threads please)
Automatic Toggling of Lights
New winning condtions. (More endgame content)

Travel, Expedition & Raids (Going to other maps for whatever reason)
its in the game now so edit your post

Zafety

I would like to see a possible drug to help with withdrawal. Something that reduces the negative effects of addictions slightly and speed up the recovery a bit. You could also consider adding LSD as another psychedelic drug. I'd imagine it would have a euphoria higher than marajuana but have the same lower risk of addiction. The way if this is added I would like to see it function like a mental break wanderer but after the break is over they get a positive boost more than catharsis. The negative effect would be say if the colonist wanders into a grave yard the you could have a bad acid trip because they hallucinate and see monsters maybe even go beserk for a short time if they see a desiccated corpse while wandering. After the trip is over instead of having a positive mood boost they would have a negative mood boost with the description of had a scary trip or bad trip or something. or you could even base the trip's positive effects on the beauty of the area. He more beauty on average over the duration of the acid trip the higher the positive effects afterwards. It could range proportionally from a negative value If the beauty of the trip is ugly from Maybe -20 to a positive 40 if the area the trip occurred was breath takingly beautiful

b0rsuk

Idea that is frequently suggested and won't be implemented:
Containers, barrels, chests, shelves or equipment racks with increased capacity or ability to stack items. By design. Reasons given were:
* items would be hidden from view, disrupting visual clarity
* complicates things, especially AI
* the only reason people may want such thing is to make the game easier

Equipment racks / shelves prevent outside items from deteriorating, and that's it. You can have the same thing with 'roof build area'.
If Rimworld stockpiles bother you enough, your only option will be mods.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31376.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31295.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30606.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=19288.0

Thundercraft

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 27, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
Containers, barrels, chests, shelves or equipment racks with increased capacity or ability to stack items...

I second this notion. It could be a significant boon to the game. And the concept is quite popular, as indicated by the number of mods which accomplish increased storage space. There is at least one sophisticated container mod I'm aware of. But, in addition, there have been several "storage rack" mods (i.e., modded equipment racks) as well as several to increase the maximum size of item stacks.

Also, I'm reminded of the not uncommon suggestion to give RimWorld a 'z-level' or third dimension, like Dwarf Fortress. That is technically impractical, nearly impossible, and it sounds like that will never happen. However, if you think about it, there are three main benefits of a z-level: (1) It makes the map bigger, allowing more space to expand, (2) it allows for more efficiency, through movement and item storage and (3) it allows more opportunity for mining and resource gathering.

With storage, rack and item-stack mods, players can gain a lot of point (2) and even a bit of (1). That is, better item storage leaves more space to build things like more or bigger bedrooms, more solar panels, and bigger killboxes. With bigger maps and the Large Map Save Game Fix, players can get some of the benefits of (1). And with mods like Quarry, Deep Core Miner and Sustainable Drill, we can (3) keep digging for more resources.

Shonin

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 27, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
Containers, barrels, chests, shelves or equipment racks with increased capacity or ability to stack items. By design. Reasons given were:

I'm kind of ok with that, since most items already have a quite large stack size so that is relatively easy to stock a large supply and, truth be said, management of space is a big factor in the game that shouldn't be lost.

However, I still find it would be nice fo "some kinds" of storage options, like a refrigerator (have been suggested, but it's not in the list. There's actually a mod for that). I mean, ok, we can make a building with coolers to act as one, but I find it strange that with all that tech we can't build a simplier thing. It could act like the actual one, but requiring energy and costing steel/components. In the end, it would be material-wise expensive, but would allow for making a fridge in the dining room or a device to keep raw meat inside the kitchen area. I don't find it would make the game easier, since it would be a decision on wheter or not spend more resources to have a little bit more of efficiency.

Thundercraft

The following has been brought up several times in the past and, recently, I've seen it suggested in the comments for several different mods. Unfortunately, it sounds like this is something that can not be accomplished via modding:

Tynan, is there any possibility that you would reconsider your position on allowing players to to remove bionic parts from dead humans (or, at the least, dead members of their colony)? As I understand it, the primary reason the idea was shot down was due to concerns over game balance. Specifically, since raiders frequently have bionic parts, such a capability would allow players to gain a lot of them, which could make players considerable money and, potentially, trivialize the difficulty of obtaining them.

I do recognize the logic of such arguments. However, players can ALREADY harvest bionics from colonists or raiders. The trick is to do it before they're dead. As such, some players have a habit of trying to capture raiders with bionics so they can do just that.

Anyway, I can't imagine that it could be terribly difficult to mostly or entirely mitigate concerns over game balance. Merely, it would require nerfing the frequency of how often they appear on raiders so they become uncommon. That, and/or locking the ability for our doctors to remove bionics from corpses behind new, end-game research. It could be called "Bionic Reclamation" or something.

I mean... come on! :-\ Removing bionics from dead colonists just makes so, sooo much sense! What logical, real-life reason could there be not to recycle, say, a peg leg or a bionic arm - especially in a post-apocalyptic setting where resources are scarce?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Thundercraft on June 30, 2017, 02:35:56 PM
The following has been brought up several times in the past and, recently, I've seen it suggested in the comments for several different mods. Unfortunately, it sounds like this is something that can not be accomplished via modding:

Tynan, is there any possibility that you would reconsider your position on allowing players to to remove bionic parts from dead humans (or, at the least, dead members of their colony)? As I understand it, the primary reason the idea was shot down was due to concerns over game balance. Specifically, since raiders frequently have bionic parts, such a capability would allow players to gain a lot of them, which could make players considerable money and, potentially, trivialize the difficulty of obtaining them.

I do recognize the logic of such arguments. However, players can ALREADY harvest bionics from colonists or raiders. The trick is to do it before they're dead. As such, some players have a habit of trying to capture raiders with bionics so they can do just that.

Anyway, I can't imagine that it could be terribly difficult to mostly or entirely mitigate concerns over game balance. Merely, it would require nerfing the frequency of how often they appear on raiders so they become uncommon. That, and/or locking the ability for our doctors to remove bionics from corpses behind new, end-game research. It could be called "Bionic Reclamation" or something.

I mean... come on! :-\ Removing bionics from dead colonists just makes so, sooo much sense! What logical, real-life reason could there be not to recycle, say, a peg leg or a bionic arm - especially in a post-apocalyptic setting where resources are scarce?

Actually there is a mod for that :-D

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33723.0
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Lowkey1987

Quote from: Thundercraft on June 30, 2017, 02:35:56 PM

:-D we dont know how bionics work. Perhaps they have to be keeped alive like a heart or liver.
Also as you say: Atm Players search ways to optain them from raiders. So players try different strategies to get a benefit. Which is better then just gift them, i think.

Bolgfred

I looked at this thread for the first time and now I see there are some topics that are frequently suggested, but i don't feel like I have an overview where I should put these topics.
Could that list actually be splitted into the categories? Something like:

Will happen
Might happen
Never happen
Already happened
In progress

I like the way one unknown comapny, working on a software I don't know, solved this.

Do you see? It's red for NO! Now even I understand what is being said.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

JimmyAgnt007

Updated, please point out anything that needs to change.  Remember, dont make suggestions in here, this is for collecting ones that get made too often.

tonsrd

Organ and Bionic removal after death = reuse,recycle  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35322.0

robots / slaves ( theres mai robots and / rimslave mods out now )

extra weapon slots = theres a amod called side-arm, or star wars that adds light sabers as another weapon.

toilets = theres a mod for that.
race mods = theres a few updated to a17.
ship mod = SOS. ( came out -updated in last month )

warbrand2

not sure things there are mods for are the same as things there are many suggestions for.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: warbrand2 on September 27, 2017, 09:36:31 PM
not sure things there are mods for are the same as things there are many suggestions for.

They very much are.  People suggest things on this list all the time, regardless if a mod is available or not.  If I checked mods id have nothing on this list and people would spam suggestions on the same topic like they always do.  I'm not going to support mods on this list.  Its goal is to tell people things that get suggested lots and to not make new threads for.  If they still want it, they can search mods on their own.

SpaceDorf

I thought this one was pinned.
Bumpety Bump
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.