[A17] Crystalloid ~ Crystalline Humanoid Race V2.1 (Updated 10/08)

Started by AtomicRavioli, October 15, 2016, 06:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtomicRavioli

Mod Overhauled!
Download Available: Version 2.1
~~Download Link~~

EPOE Patch
~~Download Link~~

CE Patch (by SeniorScore)
~~Forum Link~~

Requires AlienRaces Mod
~~Download Link~~

Steam Workshop Link

Load in this order:
Alien Races -> Crystalloid -> EPOE patch

~~
This mod currently adds a race of xenohumans called the Crystalloids, along with some content to flesh them out.

This mod is fairly large in scope

Huge thanks to the Alien Races framework! This mod would not of been possible without it.

Background Lore:
Crystalloids are unique hyper-evolved xenohumans that are thought to of originated from a transcendent world. Crystalloids are primarily made of a hard organic crystalline material, and lack most organs (save for a brain and intake system). Just simply known as crystal in the game, the organic material is linked to Crystalloid DNA. They build most of their things out of this crystalline material and worlds dominated by them are dubbed "Crystal worlds" (This technically makes their things Bio-tech). True to what is known about many other transcendent races, the Crystalloids' minds are connected in a neural network. However, unlike the others, their means of connection lack any mechanical aspect to them at all, and instead utilize their powerful minds. The connection exists a powerful matrix of Crystalloid minds that collectively pools their consciousness, while still retaining their individual personas and bodies. Each individual Crystalloid is to some degree, psionically capable, and passively feeds into the collective psionic strength of the network.

About:
Crystalloids in game are functionally similar to humans, they are distinguished by their unique anatomy, psionic ability (in which some are stronger than others, they roll for an aptitude based on 5 ranks), and their sensitivity to psychic phenomenon.

Some research in the mod requires a Crystalloid to research it for the colony, if you are starting off with a human colony.

Weapons:
Two sets of weapons are also in the game, psionic and shard:

Psionic weapons are mostly unobtainable to your colonists (The weapons are powered by the psionic collective). They fire searing bolts of energy, leaving nasty burn wounds.

Shard weapons fire crystalline projectiles and are dropped by Crystalloids, they generally favor high rates of fire at the penalty of low damage and accuracy.

Everything else:
Crystal resource is at the root of all progression for items in this game. You need it to build most things, and more often than not, you will need to refine it to be used in crafts. You can obtain crystal in a number of ways: either mining it out of rock, purchasing it from Crystalloid traders, butchering constructs, or generating it from crystal synthesizers.

Constructs:

Prism:
Basic construct with weak innate psionic beam attack, its sturdy and angular shell protects it quite well from a variety of weak attacks. It falls easily however, to blunt damage and armor piercing attacks.

Guardian:
Standard combat construct, carries psionic and shard weapons into battle. About as sturdy as a mechanoid scyther, and boasts a protective armor shell. Weak against blunt damage and piercing attacks, especially to the legs. Watch out for the heavy variant, which carries deadly anti-infantry weaponry. Melee variants also exist, named volatile guardians, they are purple in color and explode on death.

Colossus:
Behemoth siege construct. Fires long ranged psionic artillery, which explode in a wide radius with crushing brute force. Melee is not advised, as it can lash out with enough psionic force to easily sever limbs. Extremely tanky, its weak points are its 4 brains. One of the best candidates for a psychic shock lance. When butchered, it drops a large amplifier crystal.

Whats Next:
- Small content additions

Known Issues:
- None, currently

Changelog:
V2.1 Psionic Additions

-Many thanks to ChJess who implemented a psionic field system! :)

-Added Psionic Scanner to help you find psionic fields, when it is powered you can select it to show the fields.

-Prism raid appearance frequency lowered from 125 to 80
-Prism raid point cost increased from 33 to 40
-All other construct raid point costs increased by 10 (Raid points are spent by the AI to "purchase" units to use in a raid, higher costs means less you will see less units in a raid)

-Shard weapons nerfed, slower rate of fire, damage tweaks
-Both psionic rifles slightly slower rate of fire
-Crafted psionic rifle has new art
-Renamed Psionic sniper -> Psionic lancer

-Added craftable Psionic Crystal Light Lancer, a psionic scout rifle for taking down mid/long range targets

-Colossus reworked, new graphics, uses Guardian bodytype now

-Crystal synthesizer replaced with synthesizer basins, it now "grows" like a crop.

-Psionic Power Generation is now based on the psionic field strength, when the building is selected for construction, the fields are visible. White zones are the highest concentration.
-Recipies have been tweaked for the power generators
-Ancient ruins have strong psionic fields

-Added <DeepCommonality> to crystal resource

-Research that requires a crystalloid, now informs you in the research tooltip.

-All pawns in this mod now have their meat set to human. While nothing butchers into meat, this means you won't get traders or drop pods full of unobtainable meats from prisms and others.

-All Crystalloid Races have their psychic sensitivity set to 1
-Psionic class determines increases to psychic sensitivity, starting at +25% with Emergent, and increasing by 25% each class. (This also means if you remove the node, their sensitivity is the same as a human)
-Psionic fields gives buffs to people inside them, only pawns with psychic sensitivity above 100% will get any affect, the greater the sensitivity, the better the buff.

-New backstories, esp for childhood.

V2 Overhaul

-Crystalloids now appear with more headshapes (oops)
-Crystalloids now have head tatoos of various designs
-Crystalloids have a smaller chance of appearing in your colony, down from 15% to 5%
-Updated Crystalloid Guardian art
-Updated Amplifier Crystal art, thanks to Sera!

-Added Psionic Forge, work table for psionic materials.

-Added Refined Crystal, mid-late game resource improves on basic crystal with better stats and added bonuses for weapons and workbenches. Forge it at electric smithy or research improved refining to refine it at the psionic forge for half the work cost.

-Added Psionic Crystal Rifle, craftable psionic rifle, slightly weaker than the psionic rifles the Collective uses in raids.
-Shard Pistol, Shard Rifle, and Shard Scatterer are now craftable, recipes at the Psionic Forge. (Note that selling prices have changed due to this and they should be smeltable)

-Added Psionic Generator, generator that produces a low amount of electricity at a steady rate (Currently 625)
-Added Psionic Reciever, larger version of the psionic generator, same size as the Geothermal Generator. (Currently 2700)

-Added 2 kinds of Crystal flooring; Crystal Tiles, which are somewhat beautiful and sort of cheap, and Smooth Crystal Floor which is beautiful, expensive, and laborious.

-Added Prism turret, non mobile construct prism that fires nearby enemies. Less total damage than an improvised turret, but can ignore certain types of armor with its burn damage.

-Amplifier Crystal recipe changed, requires refined crystal now. Recipe taken off of smelter and moved to psionic forge.
-Construct hub recipe changed, no longer requires plasteel, replaced with refined crystal.
-Crystal synthesizer is now slightly cheaper, and no longer requires plasteel, meant to be accessible for earlier game.

-Research tab for Crystalloid added
-Refactored research requirements and times.

-Crystal Resource overall weakend, weaker stats, less beauty, less hp on items. Flavor text updated.
-Crystal resource now can be found in mining, as crystal ore

-Weapon stats tweaked, shard weapons fire a little faster and are worse at range
-Weapon flavor texts updated

-Removed Amplifier weapons
-Removed Stasis beds and accessories

Download and unzip to rimworld's mod folder, then activate it in the mods menu in game.
Feel free to digest and re-purpose my xml editing to adapt to other projects.

Modpacks need only to notify me if they choose to add this mod.

kaptain_kavern

Here they are !  8)

Congrats on the release (I recall the start of this mod in the WIP section)!

Cheers

Napple

Maybe you can make them a different start like the tribals

Also you got the wrong version uploaded.

masterpain

I dont see the download link for 1.0.  The link posted goes to v0.83

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: masterpain on October 15, 2016, 07:52:58 PM
I dont see the download link for 1.0.  The link posted goes to v0.83

I noticed that, it is fixed now.

masterpain

TOWC

Crystal creatures "rot" for some reason. And bleed out. And get infections. Is that how you wanted it to be?

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: TOWC on October 17, 2016, 09:19:29 AM
Crystal creatures "rot" for some reason. And bleed out. And get infections. Is that how you wanted it to be?

Yup this is intentional, their crystal bodies are organic and can decompose. They don't bleed out though, they have parts that show bleeding, and they leave purple puddles of blood, but they don't actually suffer from blood loss (This is something I haven't fully come to a conclusion on, and is subject to change. The same goes for the infections).

ChromeMax

Oh my gosh! Atomic, you finally released this! Can't wait to use this mod. Just to clarify, can I use this in a previous game if I have Orion's faction discovery?

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: ChromeMax on October 17, 2016, 10:53:55 AM
Oh my gosh! Atomic, you finally released this! Can't wait to use this mod. Just to clarify, can I use this in a previous game if I have Orion's faction discovery?

I haven't tested it with this mod, but it should be likely.

Wolf619

Mr.Sockez

This Mod looks amazing! Definitely something worth downloading.
I however think you should make a new start like the tribal start, that would make this mod about 15% cooler (in total 115% cool  8) )

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: Mr.Sockez on October 19, 2016, 12:58:34 AM
This Mod looks amazing! Definitely something worth downloading.
I however think you should make a new start like the tribal start, that would make this mod about 15% cooler (in total 115% cool  8) )

Embarking with Crystalloid colonists are done and ready for the next update :)

ChromeMax

Would it be much work to change the color of crystalloid meat? I understand why you want the crystalloid to be organic, but could you at least change the color of crystalloid meat, just to add a bit of immersion?

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: ChromeMax on October 19, 2016, 10:20:04 AM
Would it be much work to change the color of crystalloid meat? I understand why you want the crystalloid to be organic, but could you at least change the color of crystalloid meat, just to add a bit of immersion?

There shouldn't be any way to get meat from anything this mod adds... Whats butchering into meat?