How to use BBCode (Forum Formatting)

Started by Another, February 26, 2017, 06:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another

What is BBCode?
BBCode is Bulletin Board Code, or tags like [img][/img][b][/b] which let you do things like bold text or insert inline images:

How do I use it?
BBCode essentially generates areas in which text follows it's rules.
Now, I'll go over all the "commands" to use it, and the effects they produce.
If you want to see how I assembled this click the quote button on this post, and it will show you the formatting I used.
Most of the "commands" can be accessed on the top bar. They are on the top bar in the order they appear here.

(text)
[b](text)[/b]

(text)
[i](text)[/i]

(text)
[u](text)[/u]

(text)
[s](text)[/s]

(text)

This is preformatted text
[pre](text)[/pre]

[left](text)[/left]

[center](text)[/center]

[right](text)[/right]

Comic Sans [font=(font)](text)[/font]

36pt Text [size=(size)pt](text)[/size]

Red [color=(color)](text)[/color]

Shown is an image from the Rimworld website. use [img](image link)[/img]
To get the image link, right click on the image. On Chrome it is "copy image URL" Firefox is "copy image location"
To resize, use [img=(width)x(height)](url)[/img]
Note: It appears this does not work on this forum.
[img=100x50]http://rimworldgame.com/images/screens/junglebase_w.jpg[/img]

rimworldgame.com
To insert a link use [url](link)[/url]

Rimworld's Website
To insert a link like this use [url=(url)](name)[/url]

[email protected]
Insert an email using [email](email)[/email]

link
FTP link with [ftp=(url)](name)[/ftp]

glowing text
Make something glow with [glow=(color),(shadow?),(intensity?)](text)[/glow]

Shadowed
Give text a shadow [shadow=(color),(shadow direction)](text)[/shadow]

[move](text)[/move]
x3
Make something superscript (think exponents) [sup](text)[/sup]

An
Make something subscript [sub](text)[/sub]

Teletype Formatting [tt](text)[/tt]

A sci fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller.

RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space. Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000.

Manage colonists' moods, needs, individual wounds, and illnesses. Engage in small-team tactical gunplay. Fashion structures, weapons, and apparel from metal, wood, stone, cloth, or futuristic materials. Fight pirate raiders, hostile tribes, rampaging animals, giant tunnelling insects and ancient killing machines. Tame and train cute pets, productive farm animals, and deadly attack beasts. Watch colonists develop relationships with family members, lovers, and spouses. Discover a new generated world each time you play. Build colonies in the desert, jungle, tundra, and more. Manage quirky colonists with unique backstories, traits, and skills. Learn to play easily with the help of an intelligent and unobtrusive AI tutor.

For Windows, Mac, Linux. The game is distributed by DRM-free download. RimWorld is developed by Tynan Sylvester and Ludeon Studios, and we've been improving it since its first public release on November 4, 2013.

Longer text will generate a scroll bar on the side.

A good way to insert code or lots of quoted text without taking up several pages.
The reason it is horizontal, not vertical is because the text in paragraphs will not separate by sentence. If you separate by sentence, you get a better effect. Use [code](text)[/code]

For example:

A sci fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller.

RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space.
Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000.

Manage colonists' moods, needs, individual wounds, and illnesses.
Engage in small-team tactical gunplay. Fashion structures, weapons, and apparel from metal, wood, stone, cloth, or futuristic materials.
Fight pirate raiders, hostile tribes, rampaging animals, giant tunnelling insects and ancient killing machines.
Tame and train cute pets, productive farm animals, and deadly attack beasts.
Watch colonists develop relationships with family members, lovers, and spouses.
Discover a new generated world each time you play.
Build colonies in the desert, jungle, tundra, and more.
Manage quirky colonists with unique backstories, traits, and skills.
Learn to play easily with the help of an intelligent and unobtrusive AI tutor.

For Windows, Mac, Linux.
The game is distributed by DRM-free download.
RimWorld is developed by Tynan Sylvester and Ludeon Studios, and we've been improving it since its first public release on November 4, 2013.

QuoteHello [quote](text)[/quote]

The best way to get a quote from a forum post is to scroll down to posts before yours and click insert quote, or to click insert quote in the top right hand corner.

• This is a list
  • But bulleted
[list]
[li](text)[/li]
[li](text)[/li]
[/list]

• This is a list
  • But numbered

[list type=decimal]
[li](text)[/li]
[li](text)[/li]
[/list]

[hr]
This produces a line, crossing the page.

[nobbc](BBCode that you want to show as what you type in)[/nobbc]

This shows another use of the [code][/code] boxes. They can also be used to invalidate BBCode.

catter

Hans Lemurson

### ### #   ### ### # # ### ###
#  #   #   #    #  # # # # #   
#  ##  #   ##   #  # # ### ## 
#  #   #   #    #   #  #   #   
#  ### ### ###  #   #  #   ###

Hmm...
It looks like a convenient way to get monospaced font for ASCII art without having to use [code]
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Another

Der Failer

Is there a way to scale images down? For example if i want to post a picture host somewhere on the interwebs, but is resolution is something like 1600 × 1086 so it is a bit to big to just post it.

IMHO it should be sticky for new users.

Another

Yes, I edited it to include it.

Also, if it's stickied, it might want to be moved to a different thread, for more visibility.

Sorry for the late response.

EDIT: However, it might not work on this forum, so I'd resize in paint or something.

[img=100x50]http://rimworldgame.com/images/screens/junglebase_w.jpg[/img]

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Der Failer on March 09, 2017, 09:47:36 AM
Is there a way to scale images down?

Yes. Here is an example where the full screen shot makes sense, but it's too big. So we want to scale a preview down and then allow the reader to click on it to see the full-size image. This is done by specifying a width or height in the tag, like so:

[img width=400]http://somewebsite.com/myimage.png[/img]

Sometimes it's useful to use a height instead of a width for layout purposes. Here's a table with three images; the original images are different heights, but the presentation scales them to be the same height.

[table][tr]
[td][img height=100]www.blahblahblah/myimage.png[/img][/td]
[td][img height=100]and so on[/img][/td]
[td][img height=100]and so on[/img][/td]
[/tr][/table]

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

b0rsuk

The European badger (Meles meles) also known as the Eurasian badger, is a species of badger in the family Mustelidae and is native to almost all of Europe and some parts of West Asia. Several subspecies are recognised; the nominate subspecies (Meles meles meles) predominates over most of Europe. The European badger is classified as being of least concern by the IUCN as it has a wide range and a large population size which is stable, and even increasing in some areas.

AngleWyrm

Does this version of BBCode support [columns=4] or [COL=4] tags?
Or is there some other variant that will allow a long list to be distributed across several columns?

milon

Good question.  I don't believe our setup supports columns, and I don't think Tynan is eager to rework the forum software.

If columns are needed, the content is like better suited for the wiki IMHO.  I can't think of a scenario where columns would be important to the forum itself, but I'm keeping an open mind.  If anyone can raise a valid argument, I'll bring it up to the other mods/admins.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: milon on April 18, 2017, 10:23:19 AM
I can't think of a scenario where columns would be important to the forum itself, but I'm keeping an open mind.  If anyone can raise a valid argument, I'll bring it up to the other mods/admins.
Ok, I'll give it a go:

There are times when a forum user wants to post their mod list for bug hunting, which tends to be dozens. An example from this morning. It would be more legible if that list were distributed across several columns, like so:

HugsLib
ModListBackup
ZhentarFix
WorldPawnGC
ColonyManager
FluffyBreakdowns
AcSmartSpeed
PathAvoid
AllowTool
RelationsTab
OrganizedResearchTab
Hospitality
Additional Traits
TradingSpotA16
Vegetable Garden 5.3
Apparello
Kitchen-Counter-1.0
RimFridge
T-MoreFloors
RBSE - Lite Edition 1.62
Nandonalt - Pests
sd_adv_powergen
MiningShaftA16
EdBPrepareCarefully

NinjaDiscoJew

[move]Very Nice[/move]
good guide10/10

milon

@AngleWyrm, I've given that some thought and thank you for your input. Modifying forum software isn't a trivial matter. While it might be a nice feature to have, it's not yet a strong enough argument for me to push the issue. Users can create a table like you did to achieve the same results. (I know it's a little fiddly, but if a user won't try to make a table, is it likely that they would try to make columns?) Having said that, I'm still keeping an open mind and I'm willing to be persuaded.

Side note​, I found a BBCode table generator here:
https://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx

It doesn't automatically create columns, but it's easier than manual formatting. If anyone does find a column creator, I'd be interested in seeing that too!

AngleWyrm

ok, more work than it's worth I suppose.

I had thought about making an xslt transformer that would take the modlist.xml file and convert it to a bbcode table; that was mechanically do-able, but didn't have a good use-case scenario. The extra steps it would take to use such a creation make it unlikely to be used.