[MOD] (Alpha 8) EdB Scenarios (v1.1.2 - Released 25 Jan 2015)

Started by EdB, January 04, 2015, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

EdB Scenarios
Try something a little different with the new EdB Scenarios mod.  Each scenario gives you a slight variation to the standard RimWorld start to keep the game fresh with new options.

About the Most Recent Release(s)
Version 1.1.x has added a Random starting location option to all scenarios.  Click the "Advanced" button on the Landing Site screen, and the options will be in the right-hand column of the dialog that opens.  Beyond that, this version adds a number of tools for people who might be interested in creating their own scenarios.  These include:

• The ability to load a custom savegame for your scenario
  • A handful of custom victory conditions to choose from
  • Support for translating your scenario definitions
Version 1.0.x for Alpha 8 includes three starting scenarios that let you mix up the early game experience.  In the long-run, the gameplay remains mostly the same with these first scenarios, but each variant gives you something a little different.  The scenarios include:

• Where Are We?  Try a random landing site instead of picking one from the map.
  • Sole Survivor:  One colonist.  Fewer resources.  Can you survive  the first raid?
  • Amongst the Wreckage:  A burning, crashed ship.  How many incapped colonists can you save?
Scenario definitions are fully moddable if you want to try to create your own scenario mod.  I haven't had time yet to put together any documentation, but I will work on it.

Please report any bugs in this thread.

Known Issues

• Works with the Prepare Carefully mod, but you need at least version 1.6.1.
  • Scenarios created for version 1.1.1 of the mod may not work in version 1.0.1.  Be sure you have the latest version.
  • In the "Amongst the Wreckage" scenario, you may occasionally see an error about compression and slag chunks when saving a game (or during autosave).  This should fix itself when you reload the save.
  • You will see a warning in log when starting the game with the mod enabled: "Config error in EdbScenariosWatcherManager:EdbScenariosWatcherManager has no label."  This is intentional--I needed to workaround another issue, and leaving that label blank was the best way that I could find to do it.
  • I've seen other occasional errors pop up in the "Amongst the Wreckage" scenario related to dead colonists that spawn with psychosis.  I will try to figure out how to spawn the colonists correctly to avoid this error.

How to Use
Extract the contents of the zip file into your mods folder.  Enable the mod from the mods menu.

If you have trouble installing the mod, please look for advice in this thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6223.0

Once you've enable the mod, click the Scenarios button to see the list of available scenarios.

Choose a scenario to play:

Download 1.1.2 for Alpha 8

Make Your Own Scenarios
You can create your own scenarios in a separate mod, and they will show up in the Scenario selection screen.  If you're interesting in trying to make one, take a look at these example scenarios:
Download Example Scenarios 1.0.2

Other thoughts

• I need to give lots of credit to the folks who requested this as a feature for the Prepare Carefully mod, especially Ramsis, who presented the idea most recently.  At first I wasn't going to do it, but I couldn't get the idea out of my head and finally just sat down and coded it.
  • It feels like there are a lot of possibilities.  The mod already supports custom map generation and loading custom maps.  With those two things, you can hook into much of what you need to build up your scenarios.  I had a lot of fun putting together the Wreckage scenario.
  • I probably need to add a way to have scenarios auto-enable mods that they require.  It's a little tricky to figure out exactly how to do that in a non-disruptive way, but it's something I plan to add.
  • I'm probably not going to get into the business of writing a ton of scenarios, but I'll keep playing with it, and if you have any ideas, either let me know or try to put together a scenario mod yourself!

Here's a log of the changes that you can find in recent releases if you want more detail:

Version 1.1.2 (2015-01-25)

- Fixed custom start messages for custom loaded maps.
- GenStep_GeneratePlayerStartSpot now supports adding an explicit starting
   location.

Version 1.1.1 (2015-01-18)

- Added custom victory conditions including:
    - Win after a certain number of corpses from a faction have been counted.
    - Win after a certain number of buildings have been built.
    - Win after a certain number of research goals have been met.
    - Win after a specific buildings have been destroyed.
- Added map generation steps that can be used to do the following:
    - Load a custom map.
    - Add named locations that can be used to spawn things and pawns.
    - Set the camera position and zoom level.
- Removed some of the earlier, sketchy map generation steps.
- Added random start options to the advanced game dialog in all scenarios.
- BUGFIX: Made sure that scenario data is properly reset after the game
   starts so that it's not accidentally carried over when setting up the next
   game.
- BUGFIX: The mod re-injects DefInjected translations for ScenarioDefs when
   it reloads them before showing the scenario selection page.
- BUGFIX: In the Amongst the Wreckage scenario, bionics added to colonists
   in Prepare Carefully are now correctly added when the scenario starts.

Version 1.0.2 (2015-01-04)

- BUGFIX: Custom crashed ship parts no longer appear in the Ship build menu.
- BUGFIX: Going back and forth from the Select World to the Select Landing
   Site pages should no longer throw up an error screen.
- BUGFIX: The orientation of the crashed ship in the Amongst the Ruins
   scenario is now correctly randomized.

Version 1.0.1 (2015-01-04)

- Initial release with three scenarios: "Amongst the Wreckage," "Sole
   Survivor" and "Where Are We?"

[attachment deleted due to age]

Ykara

Wow, looks amazing! I've just downloaded it and can't wait to play, you're awesome man!

Shinzy

EdBard, I will have to name another Minstrel after you now!
(This is legendary!)

Edit: okay just fired up the 'crash land' scenario =P I know what I'll be doing tomorrow
But good night for now *wreckage survivor shinzy signing off*

HBKRKO619

OMG, a mod who choose randomly a landing site o-O, I waited for this since ..... always. I always asking to my girlfriend to click where she wanted on the map while I didn't watch the screen to have a random site I didn't know. You made my day with this mod EDB, thank you :)

And, you can maybe talk with Katavrik to see if it's possible to incorporate his crash landind mod in yours because ...... it's exactly what is about xD

MisterLock

This seems awesome,definately like the random crash landing option,I always squeeze my brains out in the selection in which biomes I choose,this i'll make it easier I think?Also this'll allow me to play biomes I kinda never play(Normal forest)

Also,not meaning to judge or anything,but will you able to support all your current mods?I remember sometime back you mentioned something about not wanting to maintain more then 2(Prepare Carefully and UI).If you can then it's awesome,just don't wan't you to dissapear like the original creator of the Prepare Carefully idea(I'm really sorry I can't remember the mods original name and author :( )
To each his own.

Iwillbenicetou

Next, SWAT, Glitterworld Commando's, houses, zombies (you get a "fort" with some embrasures and a wall to keep safe in the beginning). And much, much, more!
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

EdB

Quote from: MisterLock on January 04, 2015, 07:30:51 PM
...will you able to support all your current mods?I remember sometime back you mentioned something about not wanting to maintain more then 2(Prepare Carefully and UI).

I haven't really been putting a ton of new features into either Prepare Carefully or the Interface mod, so it's mostly just a matter of updating them when new alphas come out (painful for a few days, but not terrible).  I was definitely a little hesitant to add a third big mod.  We'll see how it goes, but it should be ok.

Quote from: MisterLock on January 04, 2015, 07:30:51 PM
If you can then it's awesome,just don't wan't you to dissapear like the original creator of the Prepare Carefully idea(I'm really sorry I can't remember the mods original name and author :( )

The CCM mod was created by Argain.

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Igabod

Quote from: HBKRKO619 on January 04, 2015, 07:08:40 PM
... I always asking to my girlfriend to click...

What is this girlfriend you speak of? I didn't know anybody who played this game had time for human interaction. What is this madness?

[edit to add] Also, EdB, you mentioned that the scenarios are moddable right? I think a lot of people will be submitting several custom scenarios to you in the near future, so a lot of your work will be done for you with this mod. I plan on figuring out how to do it and sending you at least one scenario. Love this mod already and I haven't even downloaded it yet. I'm going to add it to the mod list and then download it and start playing. Working on my advanced lamps update can wait an hour.

EdB

Quote from: Igabod on January 04, 2015, 07:45:41 PM
Also, EdB, you mentioned that the scenarios are moddable right? I think a lot of people will be submitting several custom scenarios to you in the near future, so a lot of your work will be done for you with this mod. I plan on figuring out how to do it and sending you at least one scenario. Love this mod already and I haven't even downloaded it yet. I'm going to add it to the mod list and then download it and start playing. Working on my advanced lamps update can wait an hour.

Important clarification: you can create your own standalone scenario mods, and they will just show up in the list if both your mod and the Scenarios mod is active.  No need to send anything to me at all.

Lots of credit to Tynan for setting up the mod framework as he did.  It was much easier than I expected to define a brand new definition type and have the game just pick it up automatically.

Igabod

Quote from: EdB on January 04, 2015, 07:57:33 PM
Quote from: Igabod on January 04, 2015, 07:45:41 PM
Also, EdB, you mentioned that the scenarios are moddable right? I think a lot of people will be submitting several custom scenarios to you in the near future, so a lot of your work will be done for you with this mod. I plan on figuring out how to do it and sending you at least one scenario. Love this mod already and I haven't even downloaded it yet. I'm going to add it to the mod list and then download it and start playing. Working on my advanced lamps update can wait an hour.

Important clarification: you can create a standalone scenario mod, and it will just show up in the list if both your mod and the Scenarios mod is active.  No need to send anything to me at all.

Lots of credit to Tynan for setting up the mod framework as he did.  It was much easier than I expected to define a brand new definition type and have the game just pick it up automatically.

Awesome, even better. That means even more of your work is already done for you. I assume this mod would need to be activated first in the mod order list and then the standalone scenario mod.

EdB

Quote from: Igabod on January 04, 2015, 08:01:17 PM
Awesome, even better. That means even more of your work is already done for you. I assume this mod would need to be activated first in the mod order list and then the standalone scenario mod.
Actually, I have a little trick that I do where I reload all of the scenario definitions when you land on the scenarios page.  This works around the mod order problem, so you don't even have to worry about it.  It seems to work--we'll have to see if it holds up in the real world.

EdB

Quote from: EdB on January 04, 2015, 08:03:42 PM
Quote from: Igabod on January 04, 2015, 08:01:17 PM
Actually, I have a little trick that I do where I reload all of the scenario definitions when you land on the scenarios page.  This works around the mod order problem, so you don't even have to worry about it.  It seems to work--we'll have to see if it holds up in the real world.

Worth mentioning that there's potentially more complexity in these mod loading situations.  I am putting together an example scenario mod that will address questions around this.  If you're building a scenario with custom code, there's an emphasis on using reflection when you want to reference classes defined the Scenarios mod to avoid mod load order issues.  I will include code samples and utility classes to try to make this as easy as possible.

I would love to see an addition to the vanilla game that gives me some way to mark a DLL in a mod as a library and have it get loaded first.  You still wouldn't be able to have libraries depend on other libraries, but mods could make use of code in libraries.  It would make code-sharing much easier for more complex, code-based mods.

ItchyFlea

OMG Yes! ;D
This is something I've wanted to see in the game since I made some scenarios back in the pre-alpha/a1 days.

Now to remake my favourite scenario and see how it goes. :)

EDIT: Does this allow for win conditions? Will win conditions be a definable thing in the future?
EDIT2: You'll probably cover this in your example mod but, is it possible to have a pre-made world loaded up by the scenario? My favourite scenario had a nice little world that went with it. (Windy Valley)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

EdB

A quick bugfix release, 1.0.2:

• BUGFIX: Custom crashed ship parts no longer appear in the Ship build menu.
  • BUGFIX: Going back and forth from the Select World to the Select Landing Site pages should no longer throw up an error screen.
  • BUGFIX: The orientation of the crashed ship in the Amongst the Ruins scenario is now correctly randomized.